• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seven Senses of the Reunion (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:37 am Reply with quote

Seven Senses of the Reunion (TV)

Plot Summary: There was once a legendary party named Subaru in the globally popular MMORPG Union. The group was made of elementary school friends. They earned fame in the blink of an eye for their unparalleled abilities in the Sense system at the core of the game. However, there was an incident where a player passed away inside the game. As a result of the death, Union ended service.

Six years pass. Haruto Amō, who was a key member of Subaru, has become a hopeless high school student. His personality has changed, and he has no friends or ambition. A classmate gets him to log in to the new Re'Union game, and he ends up having a "reunion" that is hard to believe. He meets his former in-game partner and real-world childhood friend Asahi Kuga. The girl who was supposed to have died six years ago was there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:10 am Reply with quote
The CGI bosses are hit or miss (the dragon was bad, but the Darkness thing wasn't bad), but overall it seems pretty good. Definitely better than SAO so far (though that's not hard).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

So, you know how people say that SAO is bad, because of things like its VR game makes no sense, and characters are badly written? Well I don't see it as bad, especially because I know there can be some actual BS shows that totally fail, just like this show. I could hold a huge laundry list of terrible things about Seven Senses of the Reunion, and I am going to start off with the really troublesome romance, it has one glaring problem that I don't think the show is aware of. There is totally romantic tension set up with Haruto and Asahi, but if you think about it that she is the exact same as she was six years earlier, then this is a romance between something like a 17 year old boy and an 11 year old girl. Totally changes too in how the also 17 year old Takanori is trying to force Asahi to be totally dependent on him, approaches something similar to Happy Sugar Life. I think the show was trying to be a bit edgy, but it kind of makes some character irredeemable.

Going onto trashy characters, the villains were stupid, the female was totally unoriginal, and the male one was trying way too hard with the clown thing. Most certainly feels like some middle schooler read a bunch of things, and amateurishly created them with traits of being evil, and totally want the girl to be mysterious and the guy a creepy clown, because that is totally how to write mature characters. In turn creating the opposite effect. I really don't understand how these two characters that had like no sense in working together, could hold off the team of Subaru, after Subaru is supposedly really good. Leading onto the ass pulling of powers that made up the finale. I have heard people say Kirito does things that make no sense, but really think there has usually been a logic that can be attributed to things he can or can't do. This show has no real boundaries to what is possible or limited in Reunion, felt more like some actual fantasy land than the VR game it bills itself as.

Does it even make sense that apparently dying once means they are kicked out of the game for good? How could the player base be sustained? Really felt like the writer was confused if they wanted to do the fantasy land, or a VRMMO, and hit a weird middle ground that ends up failing at both. I think the show brought up actual super powers too, that could have impact outside of some random game, even having something like a hint of tension for people with powers mentioned in some news thing towards the end, but totally comes out of nowhere. Maybe could have work, but in practice just felt jarring. In the end it kind of feels like the show tried to do too many thing, kind of like how you hear that somene tried a game project with a bunch of grand ideas, when really they should have focused on something small in scale that focused on doing something simple really well, so it feels like it is going in too many directions at once.

For a rating, I am going with Not really good (4/10), that I will say for some stupid reason I still enjoyed parts of this like a guilty pleasure, despite all of the complaints I have made. Not a good guilty pleasure, no, How Not to Summon a Demon Lord blows it out of the water.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I basically agree with everything Dusky said. Though I rated it so-so since I found it kinda watchable. Best girl got rejected, minus points for that.

DuskyPredator wrote:
There is totally romantic tension set up with Haruto and Asahi, but if you think about it that she is the exact same as she was six years earlier, then this is a romance between something like a 17 year old boy and an 11 year old girl. Totally changes too in how the also 17 year old Takanori is trying to force Asahi to be totally dependent on him

Yeeeaaah... I was also bothered by this. I was also bothered by everyone still holding their crush from 6 years ago. Worst part of it was when Nozomi freaked out when she spotted a person she hadn't even talked to for 6 years (and yet somehow still held feelings for) dancing with another girl. This really nice, shy girl freaks out so much that she turns to the dark side and her personality does a 180. The change was so sudden and jarring that it was really hard to take seriously.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:43 am Reply with quote
This anime is classic example of something that was good until the last episode squandered it's potential. Come on, damnit, there are definitely some Major plot points that are completely unresolved here. spoiler[There is that tiny bit at the end with the news story saying some people who might have been the villains were busted/outed to the press as Elicia snickers implying it was her that had a hand in telling the world what they were doing, but that's it? That's all pretty much conjecture on my part. That's all we get? What about Asahi? Is she actually alive? Was she able to wake up? Did the rest of Gnosis get taken out off screen? Who the heck is the mystery member of Subaru that not even Subaru knows about? ] That is not how to end a series. Evil or Very Mad

If this actually had a decent conclusion I would have probably given it a Good or Very Good, but as it stands, all it gets is a So-So from me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1