• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The same language, two different names

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Several animes got two names in Spanish: the Latin American (Mexico, Argentina, Chile...) & the Spanish (Spain). Sometimes you can't post the other "alternative name" because the "Spanish" entry is full... what can be done then?
sailornyanko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't agree anymore!

I watch my anime dubbed to Latin-american spanish and I think it's VERY confusing to be going around in the very few ANN titles that have both Latin-american and Spain voice casts in the same anime like Yat or Akira.

I wouldn't go as far to separate dubs for each Latin-american country that dubs anime: Argentina, Chile, Venezuela, Colombia, Peru and Mexico; since the anime dubbed in these countries is shown indiscriminately all Latin-american countries. Actually there's a handful of anime dubbed to spanish in Los Angeles, yet they are considered Latin-american dubs because they aren't shown in the US but yes over here.

However, for both simplicity and convinience, Spain spanish dubs MUST be separated from Latin-american dubs. Not only because the accent is just completely different (I personally can't stand watching the dubs because the accent drives me nuts), but also because anime dubbed to spanish in Spain is only shown there, not because the dubs can't arrive to Mexico (I know people who bought Dragon Ball movies in vhs with Spain dubs when a mexican dub wasn't available yet), but simply because they aren't popular here.

Spain's case is different because from what I know, it's illegal for them to show a Latin-american dubbed anime there. So in essence each continent dubs their anime to spanish locally. Spain has some anime that isn't dubbed to Latin-american spanish (for years they could see Marmalade Boy and it's only been recently when the show has been dubbed to spanish here even though it hasn't premiered in Mexico yet).

So in general, I think it would be great to separate Latin-american and Spain dubs since despite being the same language, both dubs don't come in contact with eachother and it would make things look really organized.

I think you guys should consider a similar situation for the english language since England has dubbed a few anime to english like Steamboy even though an American english dub existed anyways. I don't know about Portuguese since it seems like all anime is dubbed in Brazil. Some dubbers that were born in Portugal have actually moved to Brazil to dub there.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:33 pm Reply with quote
For now all you can do is include a qualifier. For example Carlos Satiago as Mr. President (Latin-American Dub)

A better method of dealing with issues like this is already planned for a future upgrade.

-t
meitantei

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:28 am Reply with quote
I agree it must have more language selection when we submit an alternative title, not only SPANISH, but SPANISH LATIN AMERICAN, SPANISH SPAIN/CASTELLANO, SPANISH CATALAN, SPANISH GALEGO, SPANISH VASCO/EUSKADI.

Also a "precision", for example:

Dragon Ball Z Movie 2: The World's Strongest

Alternative title:
Dragon Ball Z: El hombre más fuerte del mundo (Spanish) [LATIN AMERICA DUB TITLE]----> (title said by a voice over on the screen)
Dragon Ball Z: El siniestro doctor Willow (Spanish) [LATIN AMERICA HOME-VIDEO TITLE]----> (title on the cover of the VHS for sale/rent)
Dragon Ball Z: El más fuerte del mundo (Spanish) [SPAIN/CASTELLANO]
Bola de Drac Z: (spanish CATALAN)
Dragoi Bola Z: (spanish VASCO/EUSKADI)

Rolling Eyes bye
sailornyanko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god! There's actually anime dubbed to Euskara (Basque)?!!!

I can't believe it!!!

I was suspecting the existance of a few anime dubbed to Gallego and Catalan which deserve their own language denominators since neither is really considered as "Spanish" but Basque?!!! That's a huge surprise.

If that's so, Basque deserves it's totally independant language separation since that language has absolutely nothing in common with any Latin derived language. I've heard it's a language more similar to Hungarian than any romance language that has ever existed.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the ones who contribute with the info could help with that...

Or is it completely the page editor's responsibility?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1