• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Blue Exorcist's A-1 Pictures Makes Original 3D Robot Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
A-1 Pictures thinks they can make a mecha show better than Gundam? Well this matches my reaction pretty well Laughing

I am interested in this since they directly challenged Gundam, but A-1 has been on a streak of mediocrity lately so I'd certainly be surprised if they actually made something that good.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:21 pm Reply with quote
HA! I love it when anime producers talk big like this and proclaim pretty much impossible goals. I remember how Guilty Crown was going to be the next big revolutionary anime. Let me guess they've got Hiroyuki Yoshino lined up to write the script too and are going to supersede Gundam with A-1's effort level and 3D CGI animation. I can't wait to see this franchise that'll last 35 years from A-1 Pictures. Laughing
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty excited. It's kind of a big boast, but I hope they can do it since Gundam kind of sucks now.

Shame about 3d. Hope it's a serious thing, not Code Geass/Valvrave crap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I'm pretty excited. It's kind of a big boast, but I hope they can do it since Gundam kind of sucks now.

The CGI in the new Code Geass OVA is hit or miss, but I think it looks great in Valvrave. I honestly hardly notice it compared to say Gargantia and Majestic Prince.

Also I know everybody is all on this lets hate on Gundam bandwagon but honestly the only one I haven't really liked recently is AGE and even then only the final arc. Sunrise doesn't seem to have liked how it turned out much either since they seem to be making an OVA to replace it.

So lets see what we have so far, A-1 whose closest things to a mecha franchise to date is Vivid Red Operation and Gyrozetter (With CGI that looks hideous compared to what Sunrise D.I.D is capable of) want to surpass Gundam yet they have absolutely nothing to show for it yet other than boasting.

Man A-1 is such a cool company always hyping up all their shit and making these big claims and promises that they never seem to fulfill. Let's see how this turns out whenever it's made. Rolling Eyes
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Gundam Unicorn says hi. But even without the existence of that production, the claim itself seems utter nonsense.

Whatever you might say about those other shows, neither of them was pretending to "supersede" Gundam at all. Nor should they, since that's a rather irresponsible presumption.

Having said that, there's obviously a chance the show announced in this article will still be good, or bad, but I'll try to forget anyone from A-1 ever said such a ridiculous thing in the first place. The results will speak for themselves.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Gundam Unicorn says hi. But even without the existence of that production, the claim itself seems utter nonsense.

Whatever you might say about those other shows, neither of them was pretending to "supersede" Gundam at all. Nor should they, since that's a rather irresponsible presumption.

Having said that, there's obviously a chance the show announced in this article will still be good, or bad, but I'll try to forget anyone from A-1 ever said such a ridiculous thing in the first place. The results will speak for themselves.

Yeah I mean there's always the chance the show might end up good (A-1 productions are extremely hit or miss though and lately it's mostly miss) but I don't know what standard he expects to measure it in comparison to Gundam by. As I've pointed out Gundam has about 35 years of history to it's name and pretty much revolutionized the idea of anime when it came out in 1979. The number of universes, side story content and multimedia expansions are staggering. I just don't see how it's possible to match that or how one could measure that degree of success before the year 2050.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
revealed during an Anime Expo panel on Saturday that his company is working on an original robot anime to supersede Gundam.

No hubris present there. None whatsoever.

Rolling Eyes
redranger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Gundam unicorn is garbage. I don't see why your bringing that up.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
There's already a replacement for Gundam, it's called Macross. Except Kawamori does it smart but not flooding the market with a new series every 2 years leading to burnout and tired story lines. Macross is worth the wait.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
There's already a replacement for Gundam, it's called Macross. Except Kawamori does it smart but not flooding the market with a new series every 2 years leading to burnout and tired story lines. Macross is worth the wait.

Kawamori is pretty much a joke and an idol obsessed shell of his former self to me at this point and it saddens me as I'm watching Escaflowne in another window as I'm typing this. His studio Satelight is now synonymous with QUALITY and utterly bungling every mecha series it attempts to put out. Also I'm pretty sure Frontier borrows quite liberally from the original series in a number of key areas. Also way to show up for the 30th anniversary of Macross there with that glorified Macross Seven x Frontier music video cash in. Gundam at least gave us Unicorn some good concerts and that awesome Gundam statue in Tokyo.

At this point to me Macross is sadly little more than a franchise for anti-Gundam hipsters like you to rally around and the fanbase for it manages the seemingly impossible in actually making Gundam's look good and functional with all it's utterly retarded infighting and shit slinging between the Sheryl and Ranka shipper groups (Sheryl shippers are literally the most unpleasant, annoyingly vindictive and vaguely psychotic fan sub group I've ever come across) and their petty little potshots and trolling towards Gundam 00 while it was airing. If Kawamori hadn't already turned the franchise into a laughing stock with Frontier the fanbase would have ruined the community forever with it's overt douchebaggery .
誤称

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow, we have found the one person in the entire universe who hates Frontier. Hi there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1