• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What could have made a series better.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Efan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:11 am Reply with quote
This topic is about what YOU think could have made a series better. It can be anything you want; removal of a certain character, change in the plot etc etc.

I think Elfen Lied could have been a much better series if they changed the fact that spoiler[Kouta and Yuka are cousins], maybe if they changed it to they were old childhood friends, it would have made the series alot more heart warming rather than sickening.

I want to hear your thoughts on what would have made any series better.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:25 am Reply with quote
No filler would be nice. It sort of baffles me why some companies feel the need to capitalize on the popularity of a title right away, instead of waiting a few years to give that franchise the respectable showing it deserves.

I say this because Monster is dang near perfect in its presentation of characters, plot, and pacing. I believe the manga was finished a good two years before the anime even aired.

If this title can be so good from the patience in between, just imagine what Kenshin or even Inu-Yasha might've been, had the story been completed beforehand.
prettygirl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:59 am Reply with quote
I agree with the filler thing. I also notice that they try to save 'drawing time' by using the same frames over and over again. For example, when two characters are fighting, they're using the same moves over and over again. Or the background looks the same when a person is shown walking. Or when they make a character 'relive' a certain experience in their mind... three times in one episode! It's like, I know that happened! You don't have to replay it three times! Yeah... agreed that they should give the creators more time to work on their masterpieces.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:18 pm Reply with quote
prettygirl wrote:
I agree with the filler thing. I also notice that they try to save 'drawing time' by using the same frames over and over again. For example, when two characters are fighting, they're using the same moves over and over again. Or the background looks the same when a person is shown walking. Or when they make a character 'relive' a certain experience in their mind... three times in one episode! It's like, I know that happened! You don't have to replay it three times! Yeah... agreed that they should give the creators more time to work on their masterpieces.

I agree. I know I complain about InuYasha a lot in these forums, but come on, I don't need to see spoiler[the demons going into Naraku zillions of times], it's just stupid.
Iemander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I wish 12 kingdoms would've gone on for another 200+ episodes while maintaining its high quality and superb storytelling. I also wish that in the near future the series will get high popularity in the same height as Dragonball Z and Pokémon without seeing its focus change or its quality degraded.

Dreams are such a sweet thing.

Ow and no filler too.
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
No filler would be nice. It sort of baffles me why some companies feel the need to capitalize on the popularity of a title right away, instead of waiting a few years to give that franchise the respectable showing it deserves.

I say this because Monster is dang near perfect in its presentation of characters, plot, and pacing. I believe the manga was finished a good two years before the anime even aired.

This delay with Monster arguably resulted in a decreased public awareness, which tends to reduce the marketability regardless of the quality of the series. While I agree filler can be annoying (watch Bleach filler, or just drink bleach... tough call Confused ) I can at least understand why companies would do it.
Rabobinair

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I think Hellsing is a great example of a show that was really good, had great animation, but the ending was kind of crappy. I mean to me it seemed rushed, like the creator of the show was told he had 3 seasons and then 4 episodes from the end he is told he is only getting one so he tried to close off all the ties that they made throughtout the show. If they would have cut out the fillers and what not and let it run its course that the manga is doing, which is superb. So yeah I seem to agree with the overall feel of this thread.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

If this title can be so good from the patience in between, just imagine what Kenshin or even Inu-Yasha might've been, had the story been completed beforehand.

omg. Kenshin actually cancelled itself by creating a filler arc season..

i wish they could've at least animated the Jinchu arc! (they were foreshadowing at the end of the kyoto arc that they were going to... (i.e. spoiler[kenshin visitng tomoe's grave in kyoto and no one explaining what it was, etc.]))

The OAVs covered some of it, but they didn't put the happy ending the manga had and the other fights/stories
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Also i wish that haibane renmei spoiler[would have a more complete ending and explain all the points ,etc. ... i spoiler tagged this because i hate being bummed out that a series has a poteintlaly bad ending]
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Efan wrote:
This topic is about what YOU think could have made a series better. It can be anything you want; removal of a certain character, change in the plot etc etc.

I think Elfen Lied could have been a much better series if they changed the fact that spoiler[Kouta and Yuka are cousins], maybe if they changed it to they were old childhood friends, it would have made the series alot more heart warming rather than sickening.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Hasn't this facet of Elfen Lied been covered before? Where's dormcat when we need him? Wherever he is, I'll provide his words for everyone's benefit here:

Dormcat wrote:
Like what I've said before, Japanese is one of the few developed nations which allow marriage between first cousins (sharing same grandparents), while most developed nations only allow marriage between second cousins (sharing same great grandparents). The ratio of married first cousins is 1.8% among all married couples in Japan; none of developed countries in the report I saw has the ratio higher than 1% (IIRC, less than 0.5%, to be more exact).

Therefore, Kohta + Yuuka = spoiler[not incest, not taboo, not in Japan anyway.] I imagine ADV could have tweaked this in the dub if they really wanted to, but I think those days of shameless censorship are behind us. Besides, there are plenty of more sickening things to be found in Elfen Lied.
Efan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Efan wrote:

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Hasn't this facet of Elfen Lied been covered before? Where's dormcat when we need him? Wherever he is, I'll provide his words for everyone's benefit here:

Dormcat wrote:
Like what I've said before, Japanese is one of the few developed nations which allow marriage between first cousins (sharing same grandparents), while most developed nations only allow marriage between second cousins (sharing same great grandparents). The ratio of married first cousins is 1.8% among all married couples in Japan; none of developed countries in the report I saw has the ratio higher than 1% (IIRC, less than 0.5%, to be more exact).

Therefore, Kohta + Yuuka = spoiler[not incest, not taboo, not in Japan anyway.] I imagine ADV could have tweaked this in the dub if they really wanted to, but I think those days of shameless censorship are behind us. Besides, there are plenty of more sickening things to be found in Elfen Lied.

*Shocked*
Well, I guess that makes sense considering it's normal (is it?) in Japan, but it still seems a bit strang too me. (But hey, what do I know, I'm just a stupid westerner ^^).
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:19 pm Reply with quote
This is an easy one. Eva was good, but massively depressing in many parts. what they should have done is used a plot line like spoiler[that of the alternate reality that was shown on the last episode].that could have made the series better and the personallities of the characters more likable.
Efan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Efan wrote:

Dormcat wrote:

*Shocked*
Well, I guess that makes sense considering it's normal (is it?) in Japan, but it still seems a bit strang too me. (But hey, what do I know, I'm just a stupid westerner ^^).
Dagwood

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:05 am Reply with quote
Tony wrote:
No filler
Ditto!

Of course we're all wishing for another season, but I've always felt Berserk could have used another episode. A final episode to see how Guts spoiler[ and as I've been told (and can be witnessed by the scream from inside the castle in the first episode) Casca make it out alive.] Instead of rushing the ending as was done in Hellsing, it just ended. In my eyes Berserk was excellent, but it could have been a masterpiece.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:28 am Reply with quote
The Seventh Son wrote:
This is an easy one. Eva was good, but massively depressing in many parts. what they should have done is used a plot line like spoiler[that of the alternate reality that was shown on the last episode].that could have made the series better and the personallities of the characters more likable.

I preferred everything up until the spoiler[happy-go-lucky ending], which I considered to be unrelated to the rest of the storyline.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5