• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
C – Control – The Money and Soul of Possibility (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:24 am Reply with quote

C – Control – The Money and Soul of Possibility (TV)

Genres: action, drama, mystery, psychological, science fiction, supernatural, thriller
Themes: alternate world, conspiracy, cyberpunk, economics, financial, greed, money

Plot Summary: The Japanese government was rescued from the brink of financial collapse by the Sovereign Wealth Fund. For its citizens, however, life has not improved, and unemployment, crime, suicide, and despair are rampant. Kimimaro is a scholarship student whose only dream is to avoid all this and live a stable life as a civil servant. One day, however, he meets a man who offers him the chance to make money fast. From then on Kimimaro is drawn into a mysterious realm known as "The Financial District," where people engage in supernatural battles for the possibility of money.
----------------------------------

In summary, everyone but the main characters is ugly.

Noitamina once again up to its trickery, and now we have something akin to Mononoke. Except there are cute girls this time. Moe kyun, teehee.

Quote:
My boyfriend is here.

Why you little... impure... wh...

Anyway, C is here. It looks very unique and enjoyable. No wonder many anticipated its appearance.

So far, so good. I like the idea of the world revolving around money. Which, per se, is no false information.

Now back to the little impure...

The protagonist reminds me of Kore wa zombie desu ne's lead... oh, wait, that's Aria Scarlet Excalibur popcorn. Which doesn't matter because dragon ball's frozen time space room is finally back.

Question of the month: "What happens when you bet your worthless future?"
Zero times zero isn't a very fruitful result, huh.

Now, then. Make sure to watch the next episode, you little... impure....

Mata neee ~~
12skippy21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:49 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:
My boyfriend is here.

Why you little... impure... wh...

Leaving aside her impurity, her boyfriend smokes! Have you ever kissed a smoker? Tastes bloody awful!

Anyway, I must admit this was one of the best first episodes I have ever watched. It is a bit early for speculation but it is somewhat simliar to Eden of the East's premise but the financial transactions take place in a seperate plane instead of within the existent economy. Now why is that? The actions we are currently witnessing might be an attempt to put into physical terms how market money (which does not have a physical presense) is passed around.

My concern though, like all shows of this nature, they might try to do to much and leave very little explanation into the setup of the system and its overarching story. Hopefully this will not happen.

Finally, it is really coincidence this kid got chosen? Coincidence is a weak plot point really and this show seems deeper than that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:48 am Reply with quote
I liked the first eppie, too, but I have a feeling it's just going to be a straight up fighting show with very little explanation of how the '"battles" really signify anything in real life. The slice of life stuff seems interesting enough so far. Definitely like the strange looking creatures and locations.
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:11 am Reply with quote
This show reminds me quite a bit of Eden of the East. I think the difference here, though, is that Eden of the East was made by sane people. C, on the other hand, is clearly stark raving mad. This is a good thing!

So yeah, first impressions: Eden of the East crossed with Yu Gi Oh seen through cracked Serial Experiments Lain glasses. Madoka Magica, you have a challenger. This is going to be amazing.

(Also I thought it was pretty cool how the main character is actually flawed and interesting instead of being a generic stereotype, and how the love interest already has a presumably healthy relationship with somebody else.)
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote
First episode made quite the impression on me. The interaction between the college student and the "banker" was twisted enough. The money in bank accounts on the line in a demented virtual game? Seems like a fun premise, so long as the series isn't totally dependent on the games to push along its story. I think I'll have another keeper for this Spring season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SoandSo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've been hearing a lot of Pokemon and Eden comparisons on various borads, but given the visual style, the concept of a surreal netherrealm where desperate sods apparently do battle with grotesque avatars for their lives, the dark, under-the-surface atmosphere and Taku Iwasaki's music over it all, I was getting more of a Persona vibe than anything. I wonder how much deeper the comparisons run, and how it'll shake them off to do its own thing.

Looks pretty neat so far. Not a great pilot, not a whole lot happens, but the mystery is part of the fun. I'm looking forward to how they explore the issue of money and its nebulous hold on people and society, and I must see more of this awesome Willy Wonka-meets-Chesire Cat mother#$%*er. Gotta soft spot for lovably awesome douchebag advisor types(Dung Beetle <3), what can I say?
GeekyBlackGirl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:50 pm Reply with quote
yamata no orochi wrote:
This show reminds me quite a bit of Eden of the East. I think the difference here, though, is that Eden of the East was made by sane people. C, on the other hand, is clearly stark raving mad. This is a good thing!

So yeah, first impressions: Eden of the East crossed with Yu Gi Oh seen through cracked Serial Experiments Lain glasses. Madoka Magica, you have a challenger. This is going to be amazing.

(Also I thought it was pretty cool how the main character is actually flawed and interesting instead of being a generic stereotype, and how the love interest already has a presumably healthy relationship with somebody else.)

Hmmm, I didn't see the Eden of the East similarity. Did see the Yu-Gi-Oh similarity. Have not seen Serial Experiments Lain which I need to fix.

It definitely started off pretty cool so I will be watching the 2nd episode. The banker freaked me out but had me laughing.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was..... intesresting. It had a lot of creative ideas, and I'm definitely interested in seeing where it goes, but I hope they explain how the battle mechanics work (unless that bit at the start turns out to be some kind of parody where they decided to just cram in every shounen fighting style they could think of).

I also really like that it's about college students. Speaking as a college student working a crappy job to pay my way through, the protagonists forced stinginess, envy of the richer students and struggles with studying are all thing I can relate to very well.

There are a few problems, however. One, this is one hell of a cheap looking show. The CGI in particular was god awful. Two, the scantily clad little girl with horns has me worried. From the trailers it doesn't look like she's going to turn into a squealing mow cliche or start trying to bone Kimimaro, which is a plus, but I still don't really see why that was necessary, particularly when the basic character design is quite nice.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
The CGI was marvellous in one point- even I noticed how bad it was. But the animation overall is not that bad- it resembles Mononoke a bit, so it earns extra points form the start.

I always have high expectations when it comes to noitaminA shows, so I don't want to form my opinion right now. ATM we got just a peek for the concept- not too much, but enough to be interested enough to watch next episodes.
Dfg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I hated this show, it was terrible. I mean it was just terrible I had to watch it two times just to hate it more and I even took some screencaps and printed them and kept staring them all day just to hate it more and it. I wanted to jump of a building and laugh at my limp body. IT WAS THAT BAD!

Not really, joking aside I enjoyed it. Since it was the first episode it felt it ended too quickly or I was just too immersed in the anime. I love the main theme and the effects are and colors ...Mmmmmmm... are great.

Working two jobs and trying to earn money, doesn't that bad... just kidding it is bad. The ending was weird but this anime does raise more and more questions.

Will he beat Satan in the end or will he take Satan place and run the District himself, will he do their dirty work or will he oppose them, will he fall in love again, is his underwear black!
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:00 pm Reply with quote
This show confused me, not in the plot, but just, I'm not sure how I feel about it. It certainly has a lot of style, a ton of unique elements that engage interest, but the core plotline seemed a little dull in the first episode. I intend to watch at least a few more, and imagine it'll pick up, but the main character didn't really go anywhere in the first ep. As for the art, the financial district has a ton of style, but the human character designs are very dull and crudely drawn.

Does anyone know if this series has a CCG associated with it? The combat sequence just seemed like a more flashy version of Yugioh. I hope the second episode makes the rules of the game more clear.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:22 am Reply with quote
Frankly, both Noitamina shows this season lose to others in terms of art. That alone is unfortunate, and disappointing.

Art complaints aside I don't quite know what to make of this. It takes a quite serious premise, and then... treats it like some kind of shounen... but strangely, it was still kind of grounded in reality, because of the MC's background. I really wanted to drop it at first, then the second half came and changed my mind.

Also, that loser Entrepreneur in the beginning? He deserved that fate for his fashion sense alone. Abominable.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
Frankly, both Noitamina shows this season lose to others in terms of art. That alone is unfortunate, and disappointing

AnoHana's art might not be the best but its animation is far superior to nearly everything this season. Watch it again and look @ the movement, there is like nearly no scenes with nothing happening.

As for C it's a Kenji Nakamura show, they'll always low budget for the most part.
SgtMustang

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I'll at least watch till the third ep, was dissapointed by the 1st ep tho. Due to the lack of info before the premier it seemed to be the best hope for a good adult aimed anime.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I really do hope they have explanations for all these monsters and home intruders. It makes everything just a little bit honky. Other than those issues though, I'm interested to see how this will play out... or at least, I'm hoping this will get more interesting and not be a massive failure. The Midas Banker is one of only reasons I'll keep watching this for now, along with the relationship between the Main Character and his Taken-Love Interest-That-Might-Be-A-Gold-Digger. And the possibility of a descent into greed and madness.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6