• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Section23 Films Announces July Slate [2011-04-18]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metanomaly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:25 pm Reply with quote
50-60$ for a 13 episode series (AB!), S23? Oof. Kinda steep for the US market don't you think? (yes i realize its MSRP, but even so)
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:33 pm Reply with quote
When you move less product, your prices have to be higher to make profit. It's doubtful that Section 23 could survive with a pricing scheme like Funimation's. Funimation also has something that Section 23/ADV does not (and did not), and that is a long running franchise that is ridiculously popular, so Funimation can safely predict fair returns and set its price lower.

Funimation is the Wal-Mart of the anime world. Section 23 is the niche store which tries to directly compete, albeit with its hands tied as Funimation not only gets a vast majority of the popular titles, but also the popular long-running titles. I cannot recall Section 23/ADV ever having a mega-popular long running title. The only thing close was their incessant re-release of Eva; they had no Fullmetal Alchemist equivalent, and they still don't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1