• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mentions of Australia in anime?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I was watching Stellvia ep. 13 today and smiled to see Canberra included on the spaceport departures board. I was trying to think what other mentions of Australia I could remember from anime, but the only reference I could think of off the top of my head was a shot in Strawberry Marshmallow which shows a souvenir koala holding an Australian flag in Chika's room.
Can anyone think of others?

(This question strikes me because I am Australian by the way, though living in America at the moment.)
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Let us not forget the ill fate that befalls Australia in Mobile Suit Gundam. spoiler[The Colony Drop on Sydney in the conflict's early stages causes 16% of Australia's land mass to be obliterated, unfortunately.] The initial episodes of Gundam 0083 are situated in such a country as well, during which the scale of the destruction becomes quite apparent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 28 of Black Jack has the hero visiting outback Australia to investigate a plague.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
georgiab

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 am Reply with quote
Didn't Black Jack once have to operate on himself while fending off a pack of dingos, or something? I hate it when that happens! Very Happy

I believe Australia was mentioned in Gunbuster but I can't remember the details, I watched it that long ago. I think spoiler[there was a shot of the country from space, and it was uninhabited/dark because reconstruction efforts after the alien attack had not begun there]. Feel free to correct me.

Australia also features in the Naoki Urasawa manga Pluto, where one of the world's strongest robots takes care of a group of orphans in the middle of an accurately-depicted (apart from the squirrel...?) rural area. I'm not sure if it's in the original Astro Boy story that Pluto is based on, but it was a nice surprise!

Oh, yeah, and I watched the old dub of Angel Cop with a friend a while ago and it mentioned the city of 'Mel Born', which got a good laugh out of us.
ShinoMatrix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:20 pm Reply with quote
There's a future-styled version of the Sydney Opera House in Macross Frontier.
guru_clef

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I believe the UC Gundam series in particular 0083 use Australia quite often (remembering that a side/space station is dropped on the east coast of Australia destroying Sydney). While not anime, other honourable mentions should include Godzilla ( I think Godzilla Wars) stage a fight scene in Sydney, and One Kamen rider series is set in Australia
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote
georgiab wrote:
I believe Australia was mentioned in Gunbuster but I can't remember the details, I watched it that long ago. I think spoiler[there was a shot of the country from space, and it was uninhabited/dark because reconstruction efforts after the alien attack had not begun there]. Feel free to correct me.
Hmmm, I have no memory of the scene. But I was planning on rewatching Gunbuster with a friend tomorrow evening, so I'll keep my eyes peeled.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Ghost Hunt's John Brown is a priest from Australia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 of Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure has one of Egypt's sphinxes appear in Sydney Harbour between the opera house and the bridge.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I'd forgotten John Brown! Very Happy

You're quite right about Gunbuster, georgiab: the scene in the space elevator. I'm embarrassed I'd forgotten.
rojse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:33 am Reply with quote
During an episode of "Legend of Galactic Heroes", the show goes into the background of Earth's history many hundreds of years before the show began, which discusses the world reforming after World War III, in which all capital cities have been obliterated, and the world decides the capital city of Earth should be... Brisbane.

Legend of Galactic Heroes is a dramatic and rather serious epic space opera, but that's the funniest thing I've ever watched.
joeldipops

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Gundam guys seemed to love us, there's a few mentions/visits to Carpentaria base in Seed/Seed Destiny, and Bernie Wiseman in 0080 clains to be from Sydney (despite a) It being a smoking hole in the ground, and b) saying it snows there ever, let alone in summer)
Ringking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:31 am Reply with quote
I cant remember which series it was off the top of my head, but theres one were there's a drink named after some famous beach (I think it was Bondi) and one of the characters asks about the name and is informed that it's a famous beach in Australia.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:38 am Reply with quote
In Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R1 ep Cheering Mao after Mao shoots C.C several times he mentions that he has a nice cottage in Australia that the two could live at. The only problem being he can't afford to bring both of them. Being a madman the next logical solution to him was to use a chainsaw to try and cut her up and make her compact to fit in his luggage.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Ringking wrote:
I can't remember which series it was off the top of my head, but theres one were there's a drink named after some famous beach (I think it was Bondi) and one of the characters asks about the name and is informed that it's a famous beach in Australia.

I believe that was Lucky Star. There was a conversation about the name of a blue drink.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4