• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Some Suggested Age Ratings

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akemi_Idaku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:46 am Reply with quote
Tokyo University Story contains spoiler[depictions of sex though no nudity]. It should have a rating consistent with this. I would suggest a rating of "Mature."

Jisatsu Circle has spoiler[one display of rape but contains no nudity throughout the film. It is very bloody and gory and involves a lot of death. The focus is not sex] and I would suggest a rating of "Mature."
Riyousha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Claymore needa a Teen rating becasue of spoiler[monsters getting cut up]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
patch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I had some suggestions regarding age rating/genre in the past as well, but it seems that the staff is not interested too much in this genre/age classification.

It is subjective in a way, but I agree there definitely some titles that I personally feel are misclassifed.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:05 am Reply with quote
I'm very interested in improving the genres classification but I've received very little contructive feedback. Sad

And I'm completely uninterested in age rating classification because I've realized how utterly flawed and futile it is.
1. Too subjective; different people and different cultures can have vastly different moral standards. Nudity may be considered a non-factor or a taboo worthy of an "adult only" rating.
2. Broad categories, not enough granularity; each age rating sweeps a very broad range of objectionable content. A relatively tame anime can get a teenager rating because of a few bloody scenes while another, with bloody violence, bad language and nudity all the way through, gets a teenager rating just because it never really goes into "mature" territory.
3. Confusion with target demographic; even if an anime is marked as "older children", it may actually be meant for a much older demographic (e.g. Patlabor). This also causes a lot of teenagers to complaing about an anime being rated "older children", because they don't want to be seen as liking "kid's anime"

The solution is to give content ratings rather than age ratings. If you rate how much of a given "objectionable content" is present (how much blood, how much swearing, how much nudity, how much sex, etc) this is much more measurable and objective than an unclear age rating. Hard data is much more in line with the purpose of the encyclopedia. Also this makes it possible to come up with a set of rules that compute the age appropriateness of an anime based on the content ratings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Akemi_Idaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:14 am Reply with quote
I personally believe ANN's method of content rating is effective. For example: Mature (May contain sex, drugs, and extreme graphic violence). Placing all of the details of what the show may contain helps.

Also when members make suggested age/content ratings they should describe (probably in even more detail than I have above) why it should receive that content rating. And from that the encyclopedists may be able to decide better for themselves what the age rating should be.

Of course it all does depend on what's taboo, as Dan42 mentioned. The site should probably place a certain set of standards for age/content ratings. The best I can say is to base it on what is considered taboo or acceptable in a select country and use that basis for the age ratings on the site as a whole. I don't see how any idea would be easy to impose, especially this one. But it's just my suggestion; my constructive feedback if you will.

Jisats Circle's MPAA: "Rated R for disturbing thematic elements, strong violence/grisly images and some language."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1