• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mech anime with Pacific Rim/Avatar haptic feedback robots

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madzack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:14 am Reply with quote
If there's anything Westerners have done ahead of Japan in terms of Giant Robots, it's haptic feedback; instead of a joystick, the pilot directly motion controls the robot with his arms and legs, kinda like in Robot Jox, Avatar and Pacific Rim.

Any examples of anime where the mechs are controlled like this?
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:18 am Reply with quote
The main example that comes to my mind is G Gundam.

In Gun X Sword, while most mechs are controlled by a "normal" cockpit, there was one, Brownie, that was controlled by following the pilot's body movements. If I remember correctly, while the mechs in Patlabor were generally not controlled by haptic controls, their hands were sometimes controlled that way.

There are a bunch more examples on TV Tropes. See the "Motion Capture Mecha" page.

I'm a bit surprised that "motion capture," so to speak, isn't a more common way to control robots in anime, since it seems to be a more straightforward interface for controlling a machine with a humanoid body plan. My guess is that it's easier to take animation shortcuts with a cockpit that has "normal" controls.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:19 am Reply with quote
Likely, because in live action you can just as easily film a person making complicated and complex movements as you can if they were sitting there idly and only fiddling with joysticks. That's a luxury you don't have in animation.
Madzack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
First of all, thanks for the trope, notrogersmith.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
That's a luxury you don't have in animation.

That's too bad. After seeing Nobunaga "Za Fuuru" there's a lot of potential of pilots showing their special stances in the cockpit that mirrors their own mech's.
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
Animation is the key reason. But if we pretend an imaginary happy world where all anime is made for free-

I think it can depend largely on how "real robot" the show is vs how "super" the show is, if you're familiar with that difference. Basically, if it's a military effort I think a cockpit looks best. It just feels more "manufactured" and looks better when you're communicating with squadmates. This is very likely because it closer resembles the vehicles we use today. While I think super robots, especially those of alien or magical origin, look better piloted with a mocap-like system.

A friend of mine had a short-lived cyberpunk mecha comic going on back in highschool where pilots actually had their brains removed and placed in the robot when it was time to fight, then the brains were put back in their bodies battle was over.

So there's all sorts of different methods.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
Basically, if it's a military effort I think a cockpit looks best.

In my opinion, a normal vehicle-type cockpit seems like a less realistic interface for manipulating something that moves in such a complex and human-like fashion than a haptic system. It's one thing to have controls that map simple physical movements of an operator, like the turning of a steering wheel, into similarly simple physical movements of a vehicle, like turning so many degrees to the right or left. Finding a sane way to map the movements of knobs and joysticks and whatnot to more complicated movements like throwing a punch in an arbitrary direction, or picking up an object, or walking, is a far more complex problem. Then you would have to train a soldier to use all those knobs, joysticks, etc.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Gunbuster is controlled through a haptic feedback system.

I also think that some of the guymelefs in Escaflowne may have used such a system as well, but I may be mistaken on that account.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Actually, Gunbuster is controlled through a haptic feedback system.

I also think that some of the guymelefs in Escaflowne may have used such a system as well, but I may be mistaken on that account.

Only the Escaflowne itself had such a feedback system (due to a magic contract ritual as I recall), the rest were just "standard" piloted mechs.
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
In my opinion, a normal vehicle-type cockpit seems like a less realistic interface for manipulating something that moves in such a complex and human-like fashion than a haptic system. It's one thing to have controls that map simple physical movements of an operator, like the turning of a steering wheel, into similarly simple physical movements of a vehicle, like turning so many degrees to the right or left. Finding a sane way to map the movements of knobs and joysticks and whatnot to more complicated movements like throwing a punch in an arbitrary direction, or picking up an object, or walking, is a far more complex problem. Then you would have to train a soldier to use all those knobs, joysticks, etc.

"Real robot" doesn't mean realistic. It separates mass-production mecha like stuff from Muv-Luv, Full Metal Panic or Armored Core from stuff like Godannar, Gaiking, Gravion and other things that like the letter G.

Unless you meant this because I mentioned liking cockpits for military-based shows. I'm a strong believer in the "rule of cool" and "realism only when it's cool". So I'm always going to favour whatever seems coolest and most fitting for the setting.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Only the Escaflowne itself had such a feedback system (due to a magic contract ritual as I recall), the rest were just "standard" piloted mechs.

No, all the guymelefs follow the pilot's movements. They're essentially giant suits of armor that are worn rather than piloted.

A handful of mecha from Super Robot Wars (Valsione, Dygenguard, Soulgain) also mimick their pilot's movements.

Anyways, I actually think vehicle style cockpits are more practical. There are ways the human body can move that machines just can't mimick. Not to mention the physical strain it can put on the body (in G Gundam if you're not in good enough shape you will be crushed). Any limitations of button inputs are usually made up for by the operating system.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
A magical version is the Rune Gods from Magic Knight Rayearth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Then there's the team route where control is divided among several (usually 5) cockpits with people. Gravion or Voltron for example.

Actually, Gravion is the only one that comes to mind which has a team of pilots but their cockpits don't all take them to a central bridge when the super robot is formed. Gravion pilots stay where they are (if I remember right the main character is a leg. LOL). Maybe Dancougar Nova? I forget what it looked like inside.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Both Dancougas had the pilots stay in their respective machines. Getter Robo too, and I'm pretty sure Combattler V and Voltes V also apply. Oh, and the SRX. Generally any mecha designed to separate as easily as it combined.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
Actually, Gravion is the only one that comes to mind which has a team of pilots but their cockpits don't all take them to a central bridge when the super robot is formed.

Actually, both Lion and Vehicle Voltron worked the same way.
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I guess I fail at having accurate childhood memories.

I never actually watched Combattler or Voltes (only know them from SRW) so no shock there but I'm surprised I derped out in Getter. The one that really surprised me is Lion Voltron (as usual, I forgot Vehicle Voltron existed). I distinctly remember a 5-person "bridge" type of cockpit but quickly watching a few clips tells me I was horribly mistaken.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2