• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Diabolik Lovers (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:39 am Reply with quote

Diabolik Lovers (TV)

Plot Summary: Komori Yui lives her life together with six brothers. Although it is not a common every day life. It's actually quite a radical one, she is oppressed by them, and blood is demanded, as they are all vampires.

romance, supernatural, vampires

Episode 1

Hooray! This seems to be an even more rapey version of Brothers Conflict, the first episode had spoiler[normal girl move into a big house filled with brothers that don't understand barriers, on the orders of her father spoiler[that she finds out is not her real father]]. But lets not be prejudice, as I actually strangely liked what I saw. For starters there seems to be a difference in that these guy seem so rapey that yandere is not on their level, can be a plus as they don't fall in love with her at first site for no good reason. But they come of so much that the show can feel a tad misogynistic, I am a little bit more ok with it so far than BC because it feels less squicky. I even have a facourite, a creepy child like one with bags under his eyes, that was even voiced by the same person that did the annoying child in Brother Conflict.

The episode I saw was only 15 minutes long, but it looked very nice (some pretty scenes and interesting designs), with a horror theme that I find rather interesting for a Bishounen anime. Also, fingers crossed, the heroine felt like she had quite a bit more personality than the two heroines from Amnesia and Brothers Conflict, which so far seems to be the sort of thing to compare this to. I was dragging my feet to watch the first episode, but this was surprisingly good compared to what I expected. For one I am not being expected to think these guys are anything other than creepy and dangerous so far, which is a good impression for me.

Although I am not sure what others think of this. Anyone mind to give me their thoughts?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quote
What are my thoughts, you ask? Hmmm. I'd say...

...anyone who likes this is worse than Hitler!!!

No, but seriously, I'm kind of interested in the show, but I think I'll be wincing a fair amount at the treatment of Bitch-chan. I'll see how much I can take. I wouldn't bet the farm on me lasting to the finale, but we'll see.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
It's still too early for me to have an opinion. You wouldn't expect these spoiler[vampires to be so evil and 'attractive' at the same time, nor did the mood and music tell us the bishounen will eventually become harem bait, though wait - they probably will sooner or later, given the synopsis. Weird. ] I like the horror feel of it, but I sure hope there won't be any rape are severe abuse shown just for the fun of it.

The beginning sequence made me think of Beauty and the Beast for some reason, especiallyspoiler[ with the stairs splitting in two and her entering the forbidden room Laughing]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
i had sorta considered watching this, but now I'm certain I dont need to watch another reverse harem
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
But how about watching a perverse harem???
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
still wouldn't watch this

oh hey, 4000 posts

Last edited by getchman on Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Perverse reverse harem?

Ok, I'll stop now.

Anyway, yeah this one just isn't for me. I'm not surprised but I try to give everything a chance nowadays.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
At first I was all set to completely write off this show as just another creepy series where the guys are all horribly abusive jerks and there's coercive and rapey elements, but "it's all ok cause they love her," with the only notable distinction being that all those elements are ramped up to 11 so it's even worse than normal.

Well, it turns out this is based on a PSP game, a visual novel with a whole bunch of different endings and routes. I had a brief conversation on twitter with someone familiar with the game, and my opinion changed a bit. For example, below is what I was told about one of the game endings.

MAJOR GAME SPOILERS FOLLOW, AND OF COURSE POSSIBLE ANIME SPOILERS IF THEY GO THIS ROUTE

spoiler["well, there is one ending in the game where she gets together with the teddy bear kid and kills all the others. and then kills her father, who dumped her at the mansion. and then sets the town on fire. :')"]

Game/possible future anime spoilers below this point are just vague ones about the tone of the series, but I decided to spoiler tag them anyways.

spoiler[According to this person, the visual novel actually doesn't try to say "it's ok if he's horribly abusive cause they love each other," but instead goes the route of showing how horribly twisted and messed up that really is. And while the endings aren't all like what I posted, they don't sugarcoat things and act like the screwed up relationships are ok, and so you end with lots of dark and twisted stuff.]

So if the anime does things the same way, I'm on board. Will definitely be following it at least for a few episodes.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
This is not my type of my anime so I'm glad it's only 15 minutes each. Otherwise, I might finish it but there's a good chance I'll be dropping this like Brother's Conflict. I guess I'll wait to see what happens next though.

Lol @ one of the dudes calling Yui spoiler[little bitch].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rheiders

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Bitch-chan is the best reverse harem heroine name I've ever heard. Omg so romantic<3 Laughing

This is *really* not my kind of thing, but it was only 15 minutes and I like vampires, so I watched the first ep and found it...pretty hilarious. I genuinely like the horror tone they seem to be going for, and the level of "abusive jerkiness" was so over-the-top with all the guys that it actually ended up being pretty funny. I'll keep watching but I'm probably going to bail before some of the more disgusting spoilers I've heard are in the VN.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I don't know about this one... I dropped BroCon 2 episodes in because it got boring. This seems more interesting but sadistic vampire jerks aren't really working for me. I will probably watch 2-3 more episodes since it is only 15 minutes long.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote
why is it airing so early?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
why is it airing so early?

fall season. Alot of times, there is one anime a starts couple weeks early. No big deal.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
so to sum up this show it's about a pretty girl that gets a reverse harem. Most of the pretty boys that wear fedoras that act like douches towards the female mc. One of guys even sexually assaults our main heroine in the first 3 minutes by licking down her neck. Welp you count me out of this one for good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
so to sum up this show it's about a pretty girl that gets a reverse harem. Most of the pretty boys that wear fedoras that act like douches towards the female mc. One of guys even sexually assaults our main heroine in the first 3 minutes by licking down her neck. Welp you count me out of this one for good.

vampires licking people's neck is not sex assault. Just like people kill animal for food are not murders.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9