• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chobits (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:19 pm Reply with quote

Chobits (TV)

Genres: comedy, drama, romance, science fiction
Themes: androids, fanservice, robot girl

Plot Summary: In the future, personal computers have developed into "Persocoms", mobile computers that look like human beings. Hideki Motosuwa, a prep school student, desperately wants to buy a Persocom but cannot afford to. One day he finds a Persocom that has been thrown away and decides to keep it. When he turns on the Persocom, all she can say is "Chii" so he decides to name her that. After a while it starts to become apparent that Chii is more than an average Persocom. Having much better performance, it seems that Chii might be a "Chobit", a type of advanced Persocom rumored to have independent thought.
----------------------------------

Okay, once again my willpower has gone down the proverbial toilet. Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

I have broken down and purchased the Chobits manga and I have ordered the anime. I have to admit I was a bit reluctant to buy it, after all, a boy and his robot wink, wink, nudge, nudge Shocked . BUT! I enjoyed the heck out of it. I really, really did!

What I was wondering was how closely the anime mirrored the manga. Is it scene for scene or do I have some surprises left for me. Surprises are good. (sometimes Wink )

Last edited by LydiaDianne on Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:34 pm Reply with quote
The Chobits anime was made after only a few volumes of the manga had been written, so there is a fair amount of differences. I honestly can't stand to watch the anime though, so I don't know how far it goes, which is a shame since it's actually my favourite CLAMP manga.

The main difference I find is that the manga seems to focus on Hideki where the anime focuses on Chii. The anime really just gets a bit too cutesy for my tastes and I don't really enjoy having an entire episode devoted to spoiler[Chii buying panties].

I gave up on the anime just around the time that the storybook plot was beginning to get going and it looked promising, but once again, given that the anime was made before the manga was finished, I really don't know how they managed to end that particular plot.

So yeah, definitely there are differences, for better or worse.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
The Chobits anime was made after only a few volumes of the manga had been written, so there is a fair amount of differences.

And "they" wonder why fans get angry at the plot differences.

Quote:
The anime really just gets a bit too cutesy for my tastes and I don't really enjoy having an entire episode devoted to spoiler[Chii buying panties].

Is there ALOT of fanservice? Of course, I've already ordered the series. Probably should have asked these questions before. But, like I said, my willpower, not to mention my common sense, went down the toilet...again. Crying or Very sad
RezSav

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:10 am Reply with quote
I don't know about the Manga, but not so much fan service after the characters get settled in in the Anime adaptation. If memory serves, they give the whole "oops-shot/flash" thing one last huzzah with the whole Chii buying panties episode, then it settles into the plot and starts getting good. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen until quite a few episodes in.

P.S. One of my favorite endings to an anime comes in episode 15 of the Chobits series, just the way the whole music blends into the credits, pretty good.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:46 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Is there ALOT of fanservice? Of course, I've already ordered the series. Probably should have asked these questions before. But, like I said, my willpower, not to mention my common sense, went down the toilet...again. Crying or Very sad

In the manga? I just finished it myself, and I'd say moderate. ALthough a good amount of it would be towards the beginning. This was an interesting series to say the least, but the ending kind of killed it for me. It just wasn't something that got through to me, or maybe I just missed a point.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:21 am Reply with quote
Actually I was wondering about fanservice in the anime, but according to RezSav there is some. I'm sure I'll be able to survive it Very Happy Wink

Thanks for all of the info!

LydiaDianne
Kouji

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:50 am Reply with quote
Most of the Chobits anime isn't that drastically different from the manga but there are some differences in it. As already stated, the anime focuses more on Chi than the manga does, also Hideki is a lot more clueless in the anime. In the manga, he has at least a basic knowledge of comptuers, enough to at least know what the words "No Data" means, but in the anime they made him a complete idiot who didn't understand anything about computers at all; he doesn't even know what an OS is in the anime. The anime adds in a lot of useless filler-in episodes, like an entire episode devoted to Hideki buying a pair of panties for Chi when it only took a few pages to show the same exact story in the manga, or a random episode where Hideki and Chi play an online RPG together. Some of these filler-ins are amusing (like the episode where Hideki thinks the apartments are haunted) and others are just kind of boring (like the episode where they all go to the beach for a day). In later chapters of the manga, you find out that Ms. Hibiya was spoiler[married to Icchan from Angelic Layer] but this isn't even mentioned in the anime at all. The anime's ending is also very rushed leaving out many important details such as spoiler[Chi's forbidden program and the origins of the Chobits urban legend.] Otherwise, the Chobits anime isn't that drastically different from the manga, but I still think the manga is a lot better simply because the ending is more detailed and less rushed and it doesn't have all those useless filler-ins.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
RoryG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why you would leave so many damn things out. would stretching out something 1 or 2 more episodes kill them? leaving the spoiler[Chi's forbidden program and the origins of the Chobits]] part kinda defeats one of the points of intrest in the story.( for me anyway)[/quote][/spoiler]
Ovalshine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a manga reader (at my age, it's too embarassing to go to a store to do such purchases). I figured as much that the manga would have information that the anime wouldn't. I obsevered that's the norm when comparing manga to anime. Those things touched upon in the spoiler tags I am curious on its details. I'm not asking for details. I guess I'm confessing my curiosity. Laughing
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:10 pm Reply with quote
RoryG wrote:
I don't see why you would leave so many damn things out. would stretching out something 1 or 2 more episodes kill them? leaving the spoiler[Chi's forbidden program and the origins of the Chobits]] part kinda defeats one of the points of intrest in the story.( for me anyway)
[/spoiler][/quote]

Given that the manga wasn't finished by the time the anime was over, it makes sense why the ending of the manga isn't in the anime. The real thing that doesn't make sense is how early they decided to make the anime into the manga's run.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:56 pm Reply with quote
The best change in the anime was altering Hideki's character from a city slicker a bumbling country bumpkin. He's not exactly the most likeable character in the manga; which is pretty standard for stories about men who suddenly find hot women in distress and take them home to live with them. He's a sweet, likeable boy in the anime, and Crispen Freeman is brilliant as his voice in the dub. In the parts that focused on him in the manga I thought, "Get back to Chi's story, she's way more interesting than this boring guy". But in the anime, I was cheering him on and hoping everything turned out okay for him. If you want a serious story, read the manga. If you want a cute comedy/romance, watch the anime. However, one of the major drawbacks to the anime is the multiple filler episodes devoted to spoiler[Chi buying panties]. Despite these episodes, the manga is actually more abundant in the fanservice area.

There was also a special called Chibits about Sumomo and Kotoko finding Chi's lost panties. It's humorous, but I have no idea where those sixteen "Masterpiece" votes in the Encyclopedia came from.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
The best change in the anime was altering Hideki's character from a city slicker a bumbling country bumpkin. He's not exactly the most likeable character in the manga; which is pretty standard for stories about men who suddenly find hot women in distress and take them home to live with them. He's a sweet, likeable boy in the anime, and Crispen Freeman is brilliant as his voice in the dub. In the parts that focused on him in the manga I thought, "Get back to Chi's story, she's way more interesting than this boring guy". But in the anime, I was cheering him on and hoping everything turned out okay for him. If you want a serious story, read the manga. If you want a cute comedy/romance, watch the anime. However, one of the major drawbacks to the anime is the multiple filler episodes devoted to spoiler[Chi buying panties]. Despite these episodes, the manga is actually more abundant in the fanservice area.

There was also a special called Chibits about Sumomo and Kotoko finding Chi's lost panties. It's humorous, but I have no idea where those sixteen "Masterpiece" votes in the Encyclopedia came from.

Thanks. As much as I dislike filler, I'll watch them and I can always skip over them when I get around to watching it again.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing Chobits and I'll try to treat it on it's own merit and not compare it to the manga.

Thank you everyone!
jaybug39

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I just bought volume one of the manga last week. Enjoyed it as much as the anime. Was surprised at how much went on in only one volume. It seemed like disc one and two of the anime, or was it four? Sorry, it's been over a year since I saw the anime.

I did note that in the english dub, Chi was looking for underwear, not panties. "Underwear, underwear, underwear." But it was panties in the manga, was it also panties in the sub?

I will eventually end up buying both.

@ovalshine, grow a pair and go make yourself happy, go buy a manga. Listen to your elder!
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Ovalshine wrote:
I'm not a manga reader (at my age, it's too embarassing to go to a store to do such purchases). I figured as much that the manga would have information that the anime wouldn't. I obsevered that's the norm when comparing manga to anime. Those things touched upon in the spoiler tags I am curious on its details. I'm not asking for details. I guess I'm confessing my curiosity. Laughing

A lot of bookstores carry manga these days. I've been using the same bookstore for years and the kids behind the counter don't even blink when my 37-year-old self brings manga to the counter. (Probably because they know that I haven't spent the last two hours sitting/leaning against the shelves reading other manga and slobbing my drink all over.) And if going to some place like B. Dalton, Barnes & Noble or Borders bothers you, there are always anime/manga specialty shops if there's one near you or there are online stores such as Right Stuf.

Don't let your age prevent you from enjoying!
bennyb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:23 am Reply with quote
I never read the manga but enjoyed the anime when it was on anime network. Funny thing is that RPG EP was one of my favorites! Haunted house wasn't bad either. Sometimes fillers ain't so bad! Didn't like the series enough to buy the manga, altho if someone could just spoil the whole manga ending for me that'd be sweet. (I'm just curious)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13