• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gundam Build Fighters Blu-Ray

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:18 am Reply with quote
I think Lauren rated the music and story a tad high, otherwise this is a decent review, good to see overall and story scores not being identical. Cool
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:21 am Reply with quote
Technically, the web series Gunpla Builders Beginning G preceded Build Fighters by a few years, but I guess you mean that Build Fighters was the first television series to focus on model kits?
stowrag

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:57 am Reply with quote
I can appreciate what the review is saying and why people might enjoy this, but personally I just don't watch Gundam looking for a fun or lighthearted romp. The series stands out for me because of its strong anti-war stance and its unique ability to acceptably introduce concepts like war, death and killing for a younger audience. Even the humanoid shape of mobile suits is just a bare substitution for real human bodies shooting and stabbing each other that somehow makes violence acceptable.

No matter how many references you cram in or how much fun it may be, when you strip these things out it just feels like an empty toy commercial with no lasting value. Definitely a low-priority buy for me.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:36 am Reply with quote
Is the dub really that shit? There's absolutely no excuse for having a bad dub in this day and age.

Guess I'll cancel my pre-order of Try. The first season was great enough to warrant a buy even if it was sub only, but I can't say the same for Try.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:38 am Reply with quote
Great review overall, it's a shame that the dub sucks but at least we finally got the blurays. I'm with Lauren on the whole point of Gundam was originally to sell toys and I initially wanted to watch this series for the cool mech fights. I was surprised that I ended liking most of the characters and I ended up enjoyed the character interactions more than I did the mech fights. I think the build fighter series is my favorite of the Gundam franchises.

On the topic of the more serious and darker Gundam series, I do enjoy a few of them like MS 08 Team and the new IBO, while others just straight up fail to get me to enjoy them like Gundam 00.
Strike105

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:18 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Is the dub really that shit? There's absolutely no excuse for having a bad dub in this day and age.

Guess I'll cancel my pre-order of Try. The first season was great enough to warrant a buy even if it was sub only, but I can't say the same for Try.

The dub wasn't made by any of the well known studios in North America. It was made by Animax, which I believe is based somewhere in Asia, and their dubs are notoriously poor quality compared to North American dubs. They are the ones behind the notorious Gundam ZZ dub (see here for a sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vdfIFZYJvw), and although their quality has improved considerably since then, as evidenced by their dub of Gundam AGE (I can't find the sample anymore, but take my word for it), it still isn't anywhere near the quality we see with North American dubbing studios like Funimation, Bang Zoom!, or Ocean Studios.

I have no idea why Sunrise thought to use Animax's dub, seeing as many companies release many of their anime titles in the west undubbed, even when Animax does have a dub.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote
Unpopular opinion, but I like TRY better then the first season. I don't know why, but TRY is just more fun for me. Probably because of the 3-on-3 battles.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:28 am Reply with quote
Strike105 wrote:
I have no idea why Sunrise thought to use Animax's dub, seeing as many companies release many of their anime titles in the west undubbed, even when Animax does have a dub.

Hm, I know about Animax dubs, but I've never heard of one being used for a North American release.

DmonHiro wrote:
Unpopular opinion, but I like TRY better then the first season. I don't know why, but TRY is just more fun for me. Probably because of the 3-on-3 battles.

I had my fun with Try, too, but it's just a step down from the first season. It went from World Stage to Japan Only and it went from having a bigger plot to limited to just the tournament.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
Yeah, but come on... the whole "stolen tech from another world" plot went exactly nowhere.
IMO Build tried to have a serios plot along with a zany gunpla tournament, but those things don't mesh well.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow, did not expect the dub to get a straight F.

Lauren you hit all the points for why Build Fighters is great. Its a blatant toy commercial that turns that part of it and makes it heartfelt. Even if you've only seen one Gundam series there is bound to be something for you here and even if you haven't seen any, there is enough to keep you invested.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Yeah, but come on... the whole "stolen tech from another world" plot went exactly nowhere.
IMO Build tried to have a serios plot along with a zany gunpla tournament, but those things don't mesh well.

Plus I think the angle they were going for is that Gunpla Battle got so big that even the lower tournaments have become more competitive due to an influx of talent. If they do get around to doing a third season and have the team go on the world stage, it'll help give a sense of scale.

Anyway, glad to see this series is finally out in the US. Build Fighters could have gone wrong at any moment due to the absurd, clearly model-kit-focused premise but embraced its strengths, had fun with its characters, and had some of the best fights I've ever seen in a Gundam series. I watch it almost like a sports anime where it really is about the thrill of competition and expanding horizons through a hobby that evolves into something more.
nakobass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Wing Gundam never looked as awesome as it did in GBF. Love this Gundam series. Wing Gundam Fenice vs Star Build Strike brought a tear to my eye.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
If you think that was awesome, wait till you see the Destiny vs Build Burning in season TRY. That fight was gorgeous.
levonr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Wow, did not expect the dub to get a straight F.

I expected it, I watched the first episode dubbed and couldn't stand it. It sounds like a fandub, hell a fandub might even do a better job. I usually watch just about every Gundam subbed & dubbed but this is one of the few where I'm completely skipping watching this show dubbed.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Man I really had no idea how much I would love GBF when I first heard about it.

Even as a gunpla builder I thought the show would at best be mildly entertaining, but nothing I would consider buying. And now here I am trying to save up for the Blu rays though its a shame to hear the dub is that bad.

DmonHiro wrote:

The 3v3 was a good idea but unfortunately i think it was woefully underutilized half the time. The animation seems like a downgrade from Build which might be due to the fact its more expensive and time consuming to animate six different mobile suits as opposed to just two.

Plus I found most of the characters inferior especially the rivals. While I liked the three main leads most of the rivals were forgettable and this is probably due to having twice as many characters to write for. The only rival I really liked was Minato.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2