• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Game Publisher CyberFront Closes its Doors

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
This is sad to hear. Looks like game developer in Japan that used Cyberfront will have to find other publishers. Just sad to hear. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Never heard of CyberFront before this posting, or some of the titles they carried.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
All I wanted was for SOMEONE to release Ever17 (PC+360) and Remember 11 from them. Now that they've gone under, I really hope one company retains the rights to the Infinity series - can't we just have that Ever17 re-release over here Sad
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
This is really a sad day for the Visual Novel industry. while the infinity series is old it still deserves to be in print not that cyber front has made an attempt to keep it in print but still. I really hope that someone grabs the rights to that atleast.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
This was one of the main Westaboo localizers over there, kinda like an Atlus or NISA. I guess those kinds of games aren't doing so well these days
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
There goes my hopes for a port of the Ever17 remake. It was an utterly stupid decision to put it on the Xbox 360.

But RIP man. And I feel really sorry for the Tokyo Shinseiki developers. What Kaga Electronics did to them was NOT fair at all.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't think we'll ever see visual novels on consoles to begin with. The market is just too loaded with AAA games and what's essentially a fancy eBook with graphics, music, and voice acting can't really compete with all that. Really, VNs can only be on handhelds like iOS or 3DS. It's the only viable option.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
I don't think we'll ever see visual novels on consoles to begin with. The market is just too loaded with AAA games and what's essentially a fancy eBook with graphics, music, and voice acting can't really compete with all that. Really, VNs can only be on handhelds like iOS or 3DS. It's the only viable option.

Consoles in America, no. But in Japan, it's one of the places the games thrive. I have to say, it was a completely different experience playing Monochrome on the PS2 rather than the PSP.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
MetalUpa1014 wrote:

Consoles in America, no. But in Japan, it's one of the places the games thrive. I have to say, it was a completely different experience playing Monochrome on the PS2 rather than the PSP.

Of course. And with the PS3 and PSP being region free, it's easy to import. The language barrier is another story, though. I started learning Japanese recently and I've made decent progress. I recently bought a sealed copy of Chunsoft's acclaimed Sound Novel Machi off of eBay, so I hope to get to it eventually when my Japanese is proficient enough. Still have to read a lot about grammar, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1