• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hōzuki's Coolheadedness (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote

Hōzuki's Coolheadedness (TV)

Genres: comedy, supernatural
Themes: dark comedy

Plot Summary: Hōzuki is the aide to the great king of Hell, King Enma. Calm and super-sadistic, Hōzuki tries to resolve the various problems in Hell, including a rampaging Momotarō and his companions. However, he also likes spending his free time on his hobbies, such as fawning over cute animals and raising "Goldfish Flowers."
----------------------------------

Episode 1: What an odd episode. It had a sense of dark comedy I guess. Are those some sort of goldfish?

There were spirits introduced as well as the main characters. It fits with the mood in some ways. Aww that poor bird...The dance also made me lol so far. I'll keep following this for the comedy aspect of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
It is a Seinfeld-esque series... in hell, I find the concept intriguing yet it has a pace that would probably turn off the average viewer.
Wooga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but be reminded of versions of Enma from Dragonball and YuyuHakusho. I felt like there was a lot of references I didn't really get. Momotaro, of course, but besides that....
Goldfish plants? Ok...
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:26 am Reply with quote
I really want to like this show; I love the art and the concept, but the humor went right over my head. Maybe as it introduces more characters and the show's humor becomes more character focused, it'll be easier for Westerners to understand. I'll keep an eye on it.
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:15 am Reply with quote
It's certainly funny and the art is great. But I'll have to come back to it later because of too many shows and this one is an easy "watch an ep or 2 when there's nothing else to watch" show.

Goldfish plants = genius. And yep, shoebills still creep me out. I hope I never see a real one. I pulled up a pic of one once to show a friend and my cat went all puffed out, hissing at the screen. Terrifying creatures.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:18 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm not going to necessarily call this a terrible show. Maybe it just comes down to cultural differences or differing senses of humor. But whatever the reason it didn't even make me crack a smile once, let alone actually laugh. The second episode in particular, I felt like I couldn't even really identify what the jokes were half the time. So yeah, immediately dropping this.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:34 am Reply with quote
Hmm, i enjoyed this for the most part, even though i'd somehow expected it to be...funnier. Then again, i'd probably watch it even if it was boring as hell, just to listen to Hiroki Yasumoto's sexy voice... Laughing And i knew watching Folktales from Japan would pay off one day, so i got most of the references to Japanese folklore at least.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I rather like the feeling of this. It did not really make me laugh, but it felt like a kind of humour that did not require that, its humour was in the mundane. He is a rather interesting main character, feels much different to the usual thing we get, something about his voice sounded cool and not what I was expecting (the voice that most serious male main characters have).

I understand the whole peach boy thing, but there were some instances where cultural references were a little distant. And not too often I get stuff about my own country popping up in anime, that earned some smiles from me. Male platypi do indeed have poisonous spurs.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:09 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Weird.
Traditional + youkai + afterlife + weird = this anime]

The animation is certainly unique, especially the setting.
Plot isn't very defined yet.
Seems like they are just going with the flow..
The only thing I liked was Hozuki's seiyuu's voice.
This level of weirdness is off the charts.
Can't make any sense of this anime whatsoever.
Skipping it.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote
Well, it was nice and pleasant, that's about all I can say about the show. Something to watch while relaxing with a cup of tea.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

My only real complaint here was turning Satan into a joke, when I came in thinking of say Dante's Inferno. It seemed like a far larger character than what they did for their own.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
Decided to give it one more try.
Looks like that was a mistake.
It's very confusing and I can barely follow it.
Feels like they're just throwing ideas all over the place.
The parts that make sense are kinda fun though.
Second part with Satan was very amusing.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I liked ep 2 better than the 1st. The little demon boy who sang the underpants song was adorable. It went on a bit too long, but it was cute. Satan from European Hell was funny. The segment had a beginning, middle and end with a plot and everything-works better than random gags for me. spoiler[I thought Hozuki did see right through him and was doing stuff on purpose to freak Satan out, but no, he's just scary on his own!] I'd like to see European Hell on the show. Wonder what North American Hell's like, too!

Anybody else reminded of the Adult Swim live action comedy Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell? Both shows imagine Hell as a workplace comedy, but Your Pretty Face... Focuses on an incompetent employee who's always messing up.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I seem to be the only one really enjoying the hell out of this (npi -- well maybe). I love Hozuki, and I've been ridiculously amused by every episode so far.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:08 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Hmm, I seem to be the only one really enjoying the hell out of this (npi -- well maybe). I love Hozuki, and I've been ridiculously amused by every episode so far.

What the hell are you talking about? I'm [insert extremely hyperbolic idiomatic, possitive expression] this show. Episode 3 was gold, hadn't laughed like that in a while. Also, loved learning the meaning of Hozuki's name
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6