• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Blood Alone Manga Abruptly Ends Run in Evening Magazine

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:05 am Reply with quote
Interesting...

Normally this wouldn't be possible at all since the author wouldn't have full rights to the work, but I guess since this one started off as doujinshi originally he must have held onto full publishing rights even after getting serialized.

Smart move, perhaps. He gets to finish his story and maybe even make more than he would have through the big publishers.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:35 am Reply with quote
Curious how this began as a doujinshi and will ultimately end as one.

Wonder why the publisher decided to end it prematurely? I never got to be a huge fan but it was a neat series.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:35 am Reply with quote
I'd just like to mention that this is VERY BAD for the English-speaking audience, as Seven Seas has the licensing agreement through Kodansha... not through Takano himself. The ending to the story might never be published in America.
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:37 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
I'd just like to mention that this is VERY BAD for the English-speaking audience, as Seven Seas has the licensing agreement through Kodansha... not through Takano himself. The ending to the story might never be published in America.

Seven Seas lost the rights when he switched publishers most recently. Blood Alone's died twice and has been pretty much been dead to English-speakers for a long, long time now.

Quote:
Seven Seas ‏@gomanga Aug 24

@KodanshaUSA @fireaxe428 @TiagoCostaX - We've tried to get the rest of Blood Alone from Kodansha Japan, and it was a dead end. --AA
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:42 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:

Seven Seas lost the rights when he switched publishers most recently. Blood Alone's died twice and has been pretty much been dead to English-speakers for a long, long time now.

Quote:
Seven Seas ‏@gomanga Aug 24

@KodanshaUSA @fireaxe428 @TiagoCostaX - We've tried to get the rest of Blood Alone from Kodansha Japan, and it was a dead end. --AA

Hm. That's interesting. Good think I'm getting the Japanese-language set next month...
LKK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:49 am Reply with quote
This was such disappointing news to hear. I love Blood Alone and have all English-release books (from both publishers). I knew that Seven Seas had lost the rights but I always held hope that some publishers somehow might someday be able to release more. Yeah, I know. That sentence contains a whole lot of wishful thinking. But this latest development is super hard to wish away. Sad

The cover art used in the article is one I haven't seen. Beautiful. And cruel. Cruel because it refueled my interest in the series.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote
Takano has my most sincere support.
hpulley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Hm. That's interesting. Good think I'm getting the Japanese-language set next month...
Once again, learning Japanese is oh so worth it! No more waiting (sometimes forever) for official translations, no more poor unofficial and/or official translations, the original language as intended.

I just hope he doesn't sell one copy and see 10000 'free' downloads and get depressed about it. Make more money than with Kodansha? I don't think so...
shiranehito

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:55 am Reply with quote
Damn, and I just started to read this manga recently....

I hope some other publisher would gladly take the rights to publish the continuation. Switching publisher is not a very rare case, right?
It's gonna be tough if the continuation will be self-published, because I think most of local publisher won't take any risk to localize doujin.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
I wonder if it got cancelled because of creative differences or lack of interest. It seems rather odd to drop something in the middle of the climax.

It's awesome that its creator is still going to give fans a proper ending. Hopefully fans all over the world will be able to have access to it in some form or another.
aereus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
Most likely lack of interest. It wasn't one of the series I followed, but going through my issues of Evening, it's been consistently in the bottom 25% of the ToC. 2014-01 issue it was 3rd from last in ToC.

It's not a hard and fast rule, but generally a pretty good indicator in a magazine, if a title is consistently put near the back like that.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Blood Alone is one of my all-time favorite series, and I have volumes from both the GoManga and Seven Seas releases. So, needless to say, this is deeply upsetting news, thinking that I may never read the end to such a unique, understated, and frankly brilliant series.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I didn't even know this series was still going! Interesting news. I just wonder why it's happening.
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Dang. I have the first six volumes from Seven Seas, and volumes 7-9 in French (Ki-oon), who I hope publish the 10th. After that I guess I'll have to get creative, as getting hold of doujhinshi in small-town USA is not easy. Maybe, since Kodansha won't be involved any longer, some enterprising and legal way can be found to make the conclusion available.

Sigh. Sometimes I feel like pursuing a series to its end is some new kind of extreme sport.
Pangea

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
What?? I don't really understand anything but that's horrible news.
It's my no.1 favourite manga! I want to buy it!! already have 6 volumes Sad I guess It's nice that he will continue to write but I wonder how i'll get to read it now..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2