• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shimizu Discusses Creating A Whole New Kiki

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Shimizu studied western witches as examples for the characterization of Kiki. Shimizu stated, "Witches were originally thought to be in league with the devil. The anime based on (Kadono's) novel didn't have anything really witchy about [it]. But I left a bit of that scary feeling in my film."

Really a shame for someone to keep enforcing the myth of witchcraft being tied with or having anything to do with Satanism, especially by someone who unfortunately only looked up that kind of specific research. I really hope it's not as overt as the director makes it out to be, because I was looking forward to seeing this.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

Shimizu hopes for its' success in Japan and aboard

abroad

(and its with no apostrophe)
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
So completely throwing out what the show is about when making an adaptation isn't just a Hollywood thing, eh?
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
So completely throwing out what the show is about when making an adaptation isn't just a Hollywood thing, eh?

Miyazaki's adaption of the novels threw out the original concept in exchange for a light-hearted adolescence story. This one supposedly has a more serious tone to it, as was the case in the novel, and is said to follow the novel more closely.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
In case anyone is wondering about initial reactions to this film, the one major English-language review so far is definitely not positive.
http://variety.com/2014/film/reviews/film-review-kikis-delivery-service-1201121673/

Honestly, I was wary about this one from the get-go, and each new trailer kind of reinforced that feeling.
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
so its fairly disappointing, well considering the directors resume' you cant really be surprised at how the movie turned out.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
Mikeski wrote:

Miyazaki's adaption of the novels threw out the original concept in exchange for a light-hearted adolescence story. This one supposedly has a more serious tone to it, as was the case in the novel, and is said to follow the novel more closely.

Ghibli is known for changes - Arrietty, Howl's Moving Castle, etc.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
Mikeski wrote:

Ghibli is known for changes - Arrietty, Howl's Moving Castle, etc.

Trust me, I know. Howl's Moving Castle was a childhood favorite book of mine and Ghibli did a wonderful take on it, despite being extremely different.
Jacut

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, his interview is paved with good intentions and all, but I saw three different trailers at the theater and on TV recently and they were all awful, so I'm not going to watch this. And believe me, you KNOW by watching them that the main actress has no previous acting experience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:

And believe me, you KNOW by watching them that the main actress has no previous acting experience.

Non-Japanese users usually can't tell. Look at Hideaki Anno.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:27 am Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:
In case anyone is wondering about initial reactions to this film, the one major English-language review so far is definitely not positive.

Kotaku wrote a fairly positive review:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2014/03/the-live-action-kikis-delivery-service-is-surprisingly-not-terrible/#comment-2442772

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1