• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mekakucity Actors (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:45 am Reply with quote

Mekakucity Actors (TV)

Alternative title:
Mekaku City Actors
メカクシティアクターズ (Japanese)
Genres: comedy, drama, mystery, psychological, romance, science fiction, supernatural
Themes: amnesia, death, hikikomori, psychics, special abilities, Tragedy

Plot Summary: (taken from Crunchyroll page)
The incidents which occurred on August 14th and 15th bring a group of young boys and girls together… They are members of a group they call themselves the “Mekakushi Dan” (Blindfold Organization) and each member possesses a strange power involving their eyes. Will the members of this peculiar organization be able to solve the mysteries behind these incidents and see the truth?
The second anime of the season I'll watch this season, the first one being Chaika the Coffin Princess. I noticed that like The Irregular at Magic High School, there are quite some hype toward this show (dunno why, is the original source really that popular? Confused)
I've decided to come into this show blind though, fully trusting what my heart tells me: this is gonna be fun! Wink
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
You mean in 24 hours. It doesn't air today or in a few hours. Anyways, I'll look forward to this. There's a lot of PVs/CMs that are up so far so the hype is already there. I'm also a fan of Shaft and that gets me excited even more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:39 am Reply with quote
This has a very Durarara-esque feel to it. Or is it by the same creator? Anime hyper
Tumblr is going nuts with this one....
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote
The description kind of reminds me of Sasami@ a little. Loved that show so hoping this will be just as interesting Laughing
shiranehito

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
Actually some people already watched it live from nico. I haven't though Laughing

EDIT: Now I have.

My opinion on this very first episode is.... boring. I don't know but the pace was kinda slow. I wished it was much more intense on the spoiler[terrorist] scene, or at least, make it more interesting. My first impression wasn't very good. The BGM wasn't the best either.

I kinda like the usual artistic SHAFT style though. The character design somehow kinda ticks me off. Sometimes the eyes looks so undetailed, making the characters feel so lifeless (or maybe that is on purpose).

Breakdown on this first episode:spoiler[
1. Didn't expect the first scene to be Ayano. Also, foreshadowing on some character. Also, on the credit she was written as X X X
2. Shintarou's room is sooo hi-tech. I expected his room to be much more gloomy since he's a shut-in, but I guess Ene did turn his room to be more bright.
3. I really like Ene's voice. She's damn noisy but her voice is refreshing.
4. Kido's hairstyle under that hood was always ponytail!?
5. Again, the terrorist scene. It doesn't really serve as a really important scene, but still I wished it was more intense.
6. ...I don't really like Kano's voice.
7. Didn't expect Seto to appear, since in the manga he didn't.
8. Ene hacking the whole dept store scene wasn't as impressive as in the manga.
9. The opening was great. The vocalist is Maria from GARNiDELiA (and I predicted someone who was UTAITE to sing the opening. I guessed right!) The video itself was amazing, showing lots of scene from the MVs
10. Story about spoiler[Azami] in the end of episode was kind of interesting.
]

Overall: for those who had no idea at all about Kagepro, this episode is damn confusing and yeah, you might not get it at all. I don't think it's a promising show, and I heard they only have 11 episode. I wonder how far they can cover it.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Crazy life of a spoiler[NEET shut-in].
That spoiler[computer program] sure never shuts up.
Damn, that started to annoy me halfway through.
The spoiler[hostage situation] kinda made it better a bit.
Don't know what to think about this anime.
It's unusual and I'm not quite sure what I just saw.
The spoiler[hostage situation] got me mildly interested.
Gonna give it another episode before I decide.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Man, where can I get a program like that?

If you thought Nisekoi wasn't SHAFT enough, this show has ALL OF THE SHAFT!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 01

...........well....that was....

..........uh..........

..........this show is gonna be the type that f*cks with your head....isn't it? Confused
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I think that I had a more positive experience with the first episode than others. Yeah it is often shaft strange to look deep, might be that I am assuming that this is set in not too distant future so things can be sci-fi like, it feels more fitting than Nisekoi.

Also I really like Ene in the episode, sure she talks a lot but it feels almost like a homage to such computer assistants as say clippy, and I think she worked well off of the lead. Also any character voiced by Kana Asumi automatically earns some points. I thought it was a good touch with for the conversation on the phone that Ene, he could hear her through the his right ear with the ear-piece, and her voice only came out of the left ear for the audience.

It would be hell having an AI like that though, being judged on my browsing habits. Also I can sadly sympathise with panic frustration over not being able to use a computer for a few days.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Just watched this, I love it. It has a cool, music video aesthetic to it. The visual style really complements the story and its characters (something about teenage vocaloids?). Will follow.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
While i normally get pissed off by shaft's crazy and random animation style I actually thought it fit this particular show pretty well. This show is clearly intended to be on the crazy side so I didn't have an issue with it.

Ene is actually pretty awesome imo. I can understand how she can be annoying but i think that's the point in some ways. After all it's thanks to her that our heroic NEET finally went outside for once and she saved him (though the ending was confusing) during the robbery.

By the way does anyone think the robbery was all a dream to him? I think he passed out after that but the scene we are shown after that is him sleeping in a classroom with a girl who we do not know the name of yet talking to him from afar. Is it possible that he's dreaming within another dream?
Ashurachan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
Just watched this, I love it. It has a cool, music video aesthetic to it. The visual style really complements the story and its characters (something about teenage vocaloids?). Will follow.

Seeing how the series is _originally_ music videos with a strong anime feel to them, the music video feel is somewhat logical, but the Vocaloid references are limited (two characters, actually : Ene is clearly inspired by Miku, and Mary has IA's hair ; the rest are pretty much Jin's own creation).

I found this first episode to be a bit too slow, but aesthetically pleasing. Looking forward to the rest ^^
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote
Ashurachan wrote:
Seeing how the series is _originally_ music videos with a strong anime feel to them, the music video feel is somewhat logical, but the Vocaloid references are limited (two characters, actually : Ene is clearly inspired by Miku, and Mary has IA's hair ; the rest are pretty much Jin's own creation).

I found this first episode to be a bit too slow, but aesthetically pleasing. Looking forward to the rest ^^

Yeah after catching the first episode I decided to look at the music videos. I'm having a lot of fun trying to piece the plot together using hints in the videos and from some fan comments. Already addicted to the Outer Science music video.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
So this is fun. I love the hell out of Shimbo wackiness and this appears to deliver in spades. Should be a fun ride.

Also, it is, right now, Bakemonogatari except with yaoi-shipping ability, which is always fun. That dude who was with Shintaro in the hostage situation (don't think they gave his name) is really hot...I wanna ship him with the MC~

(But there's that other dude he was with...hmmm)
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I've seen some episodes of Bakemonogatari and I didn't enjoy it. I think (just based on the first episode of Mekakucity Actors) it's because the main premise of Bakemonogatari doesn't quite appeal to me -- it's essentially a harem set-up -- whereas the premise of Mekakucity Actors is appealing and imo works well with SHAFT's style: very stylish, with a little hint of dark and a lot of mystery.

Who are these teenagers in hoodies? What's this I hear about spoiler[all of them being dead]? Piecing together the story from the anime and the music videos is part of the fun to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6