Forum - View topic
NEWS: Last Gundam UC Volume Ranks #3 at Box Office




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Elder God Demonbane



Joined: 15 May 2014
Posts: 41
Location: space
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
is this gundam a brand new story? Question
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the-antihero



Joined: 17 Aug 2010
Posts: 726
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Elder God Demonbane wrote:
is this gundam a brand new story? Question


No. It's an anime adaptation of a serial novel that ran between 2006 and 2009. It's set 3 years after Char's Counterattack.

--

So far, Gundam Unicorn is great. My only complaint is that I just wish they had gotten Chris Kalhoon (Bright Noa) and Michael Kopsa (Char Aznable) in the dub.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Levonr



Joined: 19 Nov 2003
Posts: 685
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
This final movie was a well crafted Gundam masterpiece. I was very satisfied with the ending.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Cptn_Taylor



Joined: 08 Nov 2013
Posts: 925
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Levon_r wrote:
This final movie was a well crafted Gundam masterpiece. I was very satisfied with the ending.


Well you have low standards.

For me it's 30% good spoiler[ the constitution that gives "newtypes" a place at the governing table" with the earth federation. I imagined several months ago that the Laplace box would be something like that.] and 70% bad spoiler[
this being a universal century series it had to end like all other uc series. In total new age fuck. That is to say newtype spirits doing fantasy things. Time travel ? Seriously ?
And the ghosts of Char and Lala that confort Full Frontal in his final moments ?]
Twisted Evil

Oh yeah the mecha porn was good. But it's not enough to save this last episode. A wasted occasion. Sad


The day when Sunrise will finally be able to tell a UC story without f-u-c-k-i-n-g ghosts running amok will be a day to celebrate Gundam. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Levonr



Joined: 19 Nov 2003
Posts: 685
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Levon_r wrote:
This final movie was a well crafted Gundam masterpiece. I was very satisfied with the ending.


Well you have low standards.


Well you don't have to be a stuck up because someone has a different view than yours.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Cptn_Taylor



Joined: 08 Nov 2013
Posts: 925
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Levon_r wrote:
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Levon_r wrote:
This final movie was a well crafted Gundam masterpiece. I was very satisfied with the ending.


Well you have low standards.


Well you don't have to be a stuck up because someone has a different view than yours.


C'mon lighten up man. You could have answered I had too high of a standard. Just don't take everything so seriously.

Gundam UC certainly has its moments. But for me the seventh and final episode was a let down. Especially for all the newtype "things" going around. I think Sunrise shouldn't have followed so tightly the novels. Maybe they should have come up with a better ending, an ending completely focused on the Laplace box. And certainly not with spoiler[ Char, Lalah floating around in the deepness of space-time, and Amuro still alive somewhere on earth presumably ?]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 7923
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
When people take Newtype visions literally, I die a little inside.

I bet some of you thought that there was an island in space and real water rushing at Amuro in 0079. Or that the Psycoframe sample from CCA was a magic "T".

UC Gundam has pretty much always been about Newtypes, it's a little late to be disappointed now about it. If anything, this OVA handles them better than Tomino did.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Levonr



Joined: 19 Nov 2003
Posts: 685
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Levon_r wrote:
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Levon_r wrote:
This final movie was a well crafted Gundam masterpiece. I was very satisfied with the ending.


Well you have low standards.


Well you don't have to be a stuck up because someone has a different view than yours.


C'mon lighten up man. You could have answered I had too high of a standard. Just don't take everything so seriously.

Gundam UC certainly has its moments. But for me the seventh and final episode was a let down. Especially for all the newtype "things" going around. I think Sunrise shouldn't have followed so tightly the novels. Maybe they should have come up with a better ending, an ending completely focused on the Laplace box. And certainly not with spoiler[ Char, Lalah floating around in the deepness of space-time, and Amuro still alive somewhere on earth presumably ?]


I think your taking the fantasy in this movie too seriously Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Cptn_Taylor



Joined: 08 Nov 2013
Posts: 925
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
When people take Newtype visions literally, I die a little inside.


Now now Penguintruth you know as well as I do that newtype effects are "real" within the context of the uc series (wether tv series or oav series). Newtype spirits are freaking real and have physical effects on things and characters. And this is true going as far back as the original gundam 0079. They are not metaphorical.
When in the seventh and final episode spoiler[ Char and Lalah are seen conforting Full Frontal it's the real deal man. They're not illusions generated by FF. ]

Quote:

I bet some of you thought that there was an island in space and real water rushing at Amuro in 0079. Or that the Psycoframe sample from CCA was a magic "T".


The spoiler[spacetime voyage ]is not a figment of the imagination of Full Frontal. As I said it's the real deal. You can't suddenly negate the whole mythology about newtypes because you don't like it in this episode.



Quote:

UC Gundam has pretty much always been about Newtypes, it's a little late to be disappointed now about it. If anything, this OVA handles them better than Tomino did.


Uhm no, Newtypes were handled great by Tomino in the Gundam films and CCA. What we have here is the same problem that afflicted Zeta Gundam and ZZ. Newtypes running amok and shiting all over the script. The end effect is something that has no shape or form. UC Unicorn was about the Laplace box. That was the end game. And had Sunrise sticked to that plot point it would have been all good and dandy. But they decided not only to go all newtype gung-ho on Banagher, Full Frontal and Riddey they also spoiler[ recalled 2/3 dead characters that had nothing to do with the story]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 7923
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Nobody physically spoiler[went back in time.] It just didn't happen. It was a manifestation, a projection of the Newtype spirits.

Laplace's Box was all ABOUT Newtypes. spoiler[That's what the missing Article of the UC Charter was about.]


Last edited by penguintruth on Mon May 19, 2014 7:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kutsu



Joined: 23 Apr 2011
Posts: 570
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
It's actually 157,182,200 yen.

Quote:
興収1億5718万2200円をあげた。


http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2037603/full/?from_al
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rahxephon91



Joined: 08 Jun 2003
Posts: 1803
Location: Park Forest IL.
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn is a great epilogue to the One Year War story. I hope the new Tomino show goes further in the timeline while having little snippets that connect it to UC. Though, at this point with Unicorn I think the OYW has been capped off. I mean sure I'd like to see a canon version of stuff like Hathaway's Flash, but I think Unicorn is a great end to this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Wrangler



Joined: 11 Nov 2007
Posts: 1244
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the OVA despite negative feed back.

Its too bad the story took soo long to animate, i think would be my only real compliant. However, if you want something nicely animated, it takes time to do it.

spoiler[Time traveling thing was little unusual, but i don't think it was too bad. They needed to do something to celibrate the end of Gundam Univseral Century, which i think this was suppose to be doing. Flashing back from all the major events in Gundam history, is part of it.]

Story was good, i admit i was little lost where they were going with the story. New government? New way people will live, no more wars? Is there space travel coming, thus new century? I wish they'd clear something of the story up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group