• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Orguss Mecha TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toriko36

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:02 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I have no idea what the recent BD releases were like, but it's a shame Discotek sees no margin for profit for taking that stuff on.

This is a major reason why I (and many of my friends/peers) haven't bought anything from DiscoTek. I am considered an older fan (late 20's) and I remember when titles like these were available on VHS and I even bought allot of these when Manga Ent. used to have the rights to them.

But it's June, 2014 and I can't justify buying DVD's anymore. All Anime I buy is now on Blu-Ray, even the much older re-releases like Patlabor, Ninja Scroll, Akira, S.E. Lain and when Funi releases the old Sunrise/Bandai titles I will be buying all of those on Blu-Ray.

I really think they're leaving allot of money on the table because if they could adopt the Blu-Ray/DVD combo releases, I feel that they would bring in allot more customers.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:18 am Reply with quote
You guys have to understand that Discotek is a very small company, and that blu-ray authoring and replication is still an expensive venture for a company of their size.

The only blu-ray titles they seem to pump out are one they fully know they can make some revenue on, like their upcoming Cagliostro release. That, or could be a licensor decision.
Toriko36

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:04 am Reply with quote
ActionJacksin wrote:
You guys have to understand that Discotek is a very small company, and that blu-ray authoring and replication is still an expensive venture for a company of their size.

The only blu-ray titles they seem to pump out are one they fully know they can make some revenue on, like their upcoming Cagliostro release. That, or could be a licensor decision.

I totally get it and I completely understand. I'm just simply expressing my opinion on the matter of physical media, which I hate to say is a dying form of media especially DVD's. If they could, which I'm sure they'r e trying to work on obtaining the BD/DVD combo packs, they probably could gain some of the BD market share.

I will be ordering the BD of Cagliostro without a doubt and maybe the sales will be strong enough for them to warrant more future BD releases.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quote
It's good to see that more people will be able to enjoy Orguss. Since I already own the ImaginAsian release, I won't be buying this set.

Just being a bit nitpicky here, but technically, only Macross is an SDF series, the other two are simply Super Dimension series.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
I never thought I'd see this series mentioned again. Man this takes me back to the old anime clubs around NYC in the 80's. It was their first series up on the schedule, L-Gaim before lunch, something new and to finish off the day Gundam-Z. I do remember hearing that this was released in the states...was it US Renditions? I know 02 was released here. Well, if the first Orguss does well in sales then maybe Orguss:02 will be up next so keep your fingers crossed. Now can anyone tell me if this was a precursor to Macross or was that just what some believed and it wasn't true?
MaxSterling

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I have no idea what the recent BD releases were like, but it's a shame Discotek sees no margin for profit for taking that stuff on.

Take a look make sure to pause and set to 720p first
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6CUb7MJkqM
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
MaxSterling wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Take a look make sure to pause and set to 720p first
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6CUb7MJkqM

Of course well remastered material on blu-ray will look superior to dvd.
The thing is, are you (and all the other fans) prepared to spend 600 $ on Orguss if Discotek took the challenge ?
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
This sounds interesting. I hate to sound really greedy, but why doesn't Discotek ever make their licenses available via legal streaming?
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Woooooooah!!!!!!! Finally going see the final episodes of the series!!! YAY!!!!
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Toriko: What part of, "The show already bombed with ImaginAsian" do you not understand? And this was before Blu-Ray. No one, outside of people who like 80s mecha anime, will buy it now. And the only Sunrise titles FUNi has rescued are those made in the 90s with their own dubs.

Chrno: Yeah, U.S. Renditions got it. I wonder if the reason Orguss 2 didn't get picked up was 'cus it might still be tied up with Manga.
Bamble

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:29 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Toriko: What part of, "The show already bombed with ImaginAsian" do you not understand?

It's not a completely absurd notion. From a 2007 interview with Justin Sevakis at MAHQ regarding the ImaginAsian DVD-Rs:

"Sales have been quite strong. We were pleasantly surprised with the number of preorders, and that was before any actual marketing."

The whole interview is worth a read, and as far as it was known, the titles sold as much as was expected. Maybe not a mega-success, but by no reasonable definition does it seem any of them "bombed".

As I understood it, the swift cancellation of the TMS Anime Classics program was more to do with the questionable dealings of Titlematch, who were physically responsible for the discs, and subsequently ImaginAsian themselves.

More specifically, Titlematch went into something of a meltdown as multiple executives left the company, and ImaginAsian allegedly had issues with regard payment of employees.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:17 am Reply with quote
Bamble: Well, ok, fine, then. That's good to know. But I still don't see Orguss being popular enough to merit a Blu-Ray release here. Nor, as others have requested, do I see Remi being rescued like the other two shows.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:27 am Reply with quote
There was a lot of chatter about quality control and disc rot issues with the DVD-R releases of the licensed ImaginAsian titles, too.
It got to a point that many people didn't want to take chances on buying a disc that wouldn't play on their DVD players... You can't blame all the disc issues on your players, guys! There are poorly mastered discs as well as BADLY manufactured media, period.
DVD-R is an unreliable, very unstable format as anybody who's done a lot of personal disc-recording and authoring on their computers knows. I've had a lot of discs rot well within 5 years because of unstable media... it's a hit-and-miss game with DVD-R's. I DO NOT trust the media as a long-term storage archive. Tape and magnetic drives are better future hardware compatibility issues aside. (Yeah, there's that annoying tendency of hard drives changing connection schemes every 5- 7 years it seems. We've gone from SCSI to IDE to SATA and earlier connections and that's not counting the subdivisions within those connector types...)
I have VHS tapes that are now 2 decades that have held up better than DVD-R's I recorded less than 5 years ago!
There are supposedly much better quality DVD-R's out there and some talk that some BD-R labels are better but for now I would still stick to pressed discs! I am not a huge fan of MOD, period... There's been some stuff put out through Studio Archive (MOD) programs that I just won't get (despite pleasant memories of these TV programs and movies) because of the DVD-R issues.

As far as Blu ray anime is concerned, the lack of older title support is partly about the more expensive protection schemes on BD. The protection schemes constantly change on BD all the time which is why getting a BD player that is firmware-upgradeable is a must. If you can't upgrade the player firmware and the manufacturer support isn't there, you could be stuck with a future doorstop as far as future BD video titles are concerned.
I think the BD protection scheme is why a lot of the system OS changes on the PS3 occur! They're trying to keep BD from being bootlegged as often and as easily as DVD was/still is...
(Obviously isn't 100% effective because BD titles get bootlegged constantly, too...)
This doesn't seem to help so much since A) disc sales are way down and Blu ray has not made up for the DVD sales decreases; B) we're increasingly moving away from physical media across all entertainment (music/audio, video), PERIOD; and C) so much anime is being subtitled/released direct to the Net within days of broadcast...
The anime market is supposedly 25% of what it was 10 years ago in the US now (at least)... I wouldn't get into the market as a distributor unless I had plenty of cash and really knew what I was doing! I don't think we have even 1/4 as many companies releasing anime regularly in the US now as there were 10 years ago, either...
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
This sounds interesting. I hate to sound really greedy, but why doesn't Discotek ever make their licenses available via legal streaming?

They actually do depending on the licensor and since Orguss is a TMS show, it might hit Hulu sometime after it's release like Lupin Part 1 & Green Vs. Red did.

As for those complaining about no Blu-ray, this should make you happy...or not.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=871461816216247&id=147168055312297

Quote:
Hypothetical Blu Ray question: If we decided to release some anime TV series on a single Blu Ray disc that we wouldn’t plan on otherwise due to the high cost of Blu Ray authoring and manufacturing, would this be of interest? For example, we could put a shorter show on one BD and still have it high quality. What about SD content that has no HD masters on a BD? Samurai Pizza Cats complete series on one BD disc for example so you could watch all the episodes without switching discs.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Cool pickup.

Mr Adventure wrote:
I actually have the first disc and series case for the previous release (which... if i recall, was print-on-demand). I remember... not actually caring for the show very much. Maybe I'll pop it back in and try again before this new set comes out.

Now, lets see them rescue Orguss 02...

That would be great if they could rescue that too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3