• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Crystal's Extended English-Subtitled Trailer Previews Music

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:18 am Reply with quote
Ah, an extended trailer...nice.

Can't wait to see this. It's been years since I've seen Sailor Moon on TV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
supersqueak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:27 am Reply with quote
Well that was kind of neat.
Sobe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:57 am Reply with quote
I like of miss the older look better. And it just isn't the same. I grew up watching it in English, lol.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:21 am Reply with quote
Well, at least it's not just their legs that are extended now....

I think they should make the legs even longer, give CLAMP a run for their money.
Sylontack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:02 am Reply with quote
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssss
Napul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:18 am Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:
I like of miss the older look better. And it just isn't the same. I grew up watching it in English, lol.

Design isn't the same, because it's more faithful to the original manga.
Good comparison is here:
http://silvermoon424.tumblr.com/post/84572192353/sailor-moon-crystal-vs-the-manga
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:35 am Reply with quote
Bleh as expected this score will simply be a slight variation of Takanashi's work on Precure. Still anything with Remi doing the chorus is enough for me Laughing
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:24 am Reply with quote
Napul wrote:
Sobe wrote:

Good comparison is here:
http://silvermoon424.tumblr.com/post/84572192353/sailor-moon-crystal-vs-the-manga

The original manga had legs and ankles for the girls, that link proves it. What happened?

Also, the foreheads weren't as pronounced. They're not quite at the "I'm not an alien" level of ridiculous foreheads but the manga looked normal. Even for shoujo, it looked normal.

Oh, oh, I'm supposed to pay attention to the ornaments, excess decorations in cel animation versus all the crap you can do with computer animation? Wow, you can design it once and not have to redraw it a thousand times.

Yeah, that's closer to the manga on purpose, not simply happening through improvements in technology. Still no excuse for not having them look like middle school girls anymore.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:34 am Reply with quote
I'm not plagued with Sailor Moon nostalgia (It was on when I was a kid but I completely missed it somehow) and I don't like the new look very much either. Actually I think the character design pics look fine, but in the trailer Sailor Moon just looks like she's all limbs.

But that background music sounds awesome. I'm still cautiously optimistic about Crystal. This trailer is just a very small piece of animation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:20 am Reply with quote
I think I will have a really hard time getting used to the MC's voice...
iatheia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:24 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Napul wrote:
Sobe wrote:

Good comparison is here:

The original manga had legs and ankles for the girls, that link proves it. What happened?

Also, the foreheads weren't as pronounced. They're not quite at the "I'm not an alien" level of ridiculous foreheads but the manga looked normal. Even for shoujo, it looked normal.

Oh, oh, I'm supposed to pay attention to the ornaments, excess decorations in cel animation versus all the crap you can do with computer animation? Wow, you can design it once and not have to redraw it a thousand times.

Yeah, that's closer to the manga on purpose, not simply happening through improvements in technology. Still no excuse for not having them look like middle school girls anymore.

This. So very much this this this. I'm tired of hearing "oh, it's closer to the manga, you must not have read it if you are complaining now". They are similar only in superficial details. But eyes are the windows to the soul. Their eyes are nothing alike. Ditto with the jaws, the foreheads, the necks etc... pretty much the entire bone structure.
Also, yes, in the manga they had very thin limbs. It looked majestic there, not even a tiny bit as unhealthy like she does in the new art.

Plus, this is an "extended" trailer. They added a few more frames, yes, but they also include the perpetual Surprised expression on Usagi's face. Add it with the fact of sloppy animation (that one shot where one of her eyes are misaligned) and, yeah....

(Edit: damn, that smiley has so much more emotion and life in it than her expression. Remove the smile, just leave the o for the mouth)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:38 am Reply with quote
Why do I even bother reading comments on articles. I could probably find an even less unnecessarily negative cesspit of discussion on 4chan. I swear, nothing good has been spoken about this anime on here yet. And it's the same shit being repeated over again.

iatheia wrote:

Plus, this is an "extended" trailer. They added a few more frames, yes, but they also include the perpetual Surprised expression on Usagi's face. Add it with the fact of sloppy animation (that one shot where one of her eyes are misaligned) and, yeah....

(Edit: damn, that smiley has so much more emotion and life in it than her expression. Remove the smile, just leave the o for the mouth)

Really. Was there an actual purpose for you to throw that out there too? I'm not too fond of her "expressions" either, but god damn. You're not helping.

I feel like JUST because this is Sailor Moon, people need something to say. At least there aren't any comments (yet) about "DURHUR VENUS ANAL BEADS!!"...
DigitalFowl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
I'd be less bothered by people criticizing the character designs if they weren't the same complaints over and over again. The complaints come off more whiny and from the perspective of people with nostalgia goggles on who are commenting every time one of these articles go up for no reason other than being buzzkills. We get it, you don't like the new designs... Now can you please stop posting it EVERY time one of these articles about SMC goes up?

Having watched the original series and read the S and Super S story arcs for the manga, I'm hyped as hell for the new show and can't wait to see what it does with some tighter pacing and writing. Hopefully it ends up making the character growth for Usagi and co. not painfully dragged out over 50/100+ episode seasons, albeit in the original series it's not 'unbearable', just kinda slow.

Can't wait for next weekend!
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
To understand the way of the artstyle a bit better, well...

Quote:
" Ms. Sako, as you worked on your designs what things did you focus on?

Sako: For me, this isn’t a remake; it’s “the first anime based on the original manga.” The only thing is that the original manga is 20 years old, so I had to match Ms. Takeuchi’s illustration style while making it more modern and also more anime-like… the hurdles were pretty high (laugh). I started with the cover illustrations from the Perfect Edition manga as the base for my designs. "

Here's a link to the magazine interview on the anime via Miss Dream

http://missdream.org/animage-july-2014-interview-translated/

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Okay... that music sounded great. I really hope that they release an OST.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2