• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's When Marnie Was There Film Footage Previewed in Ad

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:24 am Reply with quote
Looks interesting. I am definitely looking forward to this from Ghibli Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dannphou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:03 am Reply with quote
Lol... When I first played the video, I thought it was a commercial, but turns out its part of the trailer
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Setsu will be an insufferable busybody. With that character design and Studio Ghibli, I'm not so sure.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, and this is probably exacly what they're going for, the character designs for When Marnie Was There kind of resemble one of those western literature-based anime TV series from the late 1970s or early 1980s, the kind of anime that used to be a super-cheap-to-buy-the-rights-for cartoon staple on French-language Canadian television and would also sometimes show up on English-language public television (i.e. Meiken Jolie a.k.a. Belle and Sebastian, and, yes, I know Belle et Sébastien was the original title for the books and early French live-action TV series that the anime Meiken Jolie was based on).

I know it's got a Ghibli budget, so the animation quality and production values will obviously be much higher than those old shows, but it still has that vintage "look" that wasn't quite what I was expecting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hawkmoth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Another British novel Japanised. I hope they do Stig of the Dump next.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
This is the film that'll bump Frozen's 4-month run at #1 in Japan.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:37 am Reply with quote
Looks interesting. And funny enough no "little white girls" being centered made folks mad. Just joking about all the hubbub from last time. But this poster does a MUCH better depiction of what the film is supposed to be about. The last poster was very "mock", didn't really tell you crap about the film or the 2 female protagonist involved. Hopefully this film will be good. I really do want to see this film.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Really excited to go see this in a few weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, when I read 'American musical artist Priscilla Ahn is contributing "Fine on the Outside," a song she wrote when she was in high school, as the film's theme song. It is Ghibli's first theme song entirely in English. ' I had to write something.

What about Country Road? That's entirely sung in English when the movie starts. I know it's translated several times later in the movie, but I hated to see it forgotten.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1