• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Box Office, June 21-22

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Certainly Seiya's highest grossing film.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The film ranked #5 on Box Office Mojo's Chart and earned 82,024,908 yen (US$808,765) on 145 screens.

Compared to its likely astounding budget, damn what a bomb! They basically require Latin Americans to pump cash into it so it doesn't turn into a colossal failure.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Quote:
The film ranked #5 on Box Office Mojo's Chart and earned 82,024,908 yen (US$808,765) on 145 screens.

Compared to its likely astounding budget, damn what a bomb! They basically require Latin Americans to pump cash into it so it doesn't turn into a colossal failure.

Well films tend to be leggier in Japan, although that start is pretty small outside of typical otaku oriented stuff.

How big was the budget?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
How big was the budget?

Harlocks was $30 million, so this must be at least that much as well, but ANN states: Production cost: ¥10,000,000,000 (estimated), which is a lot, $98.7m. Even if it were half of that, there's not much they can do to make that kind of dough back. And what if the film is just kind of dull and going through the paces and not really worth seeing for theater prices, like Harlock was?
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Pokenatic wrote:
How big was the budget?

Harlocks was $30 million, so this must be at least that much as well, but ANN states: Production cost: ¥10,000,000,000 (estimated), which is a lot, $98.7m. Even if it were half of that, there's not much they can do to make that kind of dough back. And what if the film is just kind of dull and going through the paces and not really worth seeing for theater prices, like Harlock was?

So basically it needs a miracle run in South America to even come close to breaking even.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Pokenatic wrote:
How big was the budget?

Harlocks was $30 million, so this must be at least that much as well, but ANN states: Production cost: ¥10,000,000,000 (estimated), which is a lot, $98.7m.

Holy God. That is a ridiculously large budget for CGI animated film. Where the hell Toei find the money to fund that? More importantly, why did they think it would be a good idea to pour so much money into one film? There's no way in hell there gonna make they're money back. I'm sorry but Saint Seiya ain't exactly a golden goose for Toei like Pretty Cure, One Piece, Kamen Rider or Dragon Ball are.
perroloco

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
:s Such a flop, they should have just gone the normal route, no one, and I mean NO ONE asked for a 3d film, TOEI Should have given us fans a normal anime movie...

I don't think America is gonna make this movie break even..
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
i don't really think Japan is spending 100m on any movie.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't necessarily believe that budget either, but the point stands that it's at least running a supermassive deficit right now and we can at least guess a realer budget by comparing similar Harlock movie. Looking at Harlock's profits so far, Wiki reports a combined $21.6 million, so that was loss, and I don't think the movie sold that many discs either.

If the $100m price tag is true though, doesn't that pretty much make it the biggest bomb in history by percentage (for something that isn't some shitty arthouse thriller like Zyzzyx Road)? There's still time to do better, but that's one bad opening weekend.
MajinSaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:17 am Reply with quote
As cynical as this sounds, I hope this teaches anime studios a lesson about going full retard with cgi.

Also

vangelionite88

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
thats what they get for using filthy 3d.....
musouka

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
As far as I know, Toei has said it's about on par with Harlock's budget, but not as expensive. The number I've seen tossed around is about 20 million, which sounds about right for the length and how it looks.

I think it'll make its money back, though probably not be hugely profitable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1