• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DRAMAtical Murder (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote

DRAMAtical Murder (TV)

Genres: psychological, tournament
Themes: yaoi
Director: Kazuya Miura. Based on a visual novel by Nitro+chiral.
Plot Summary: Aoba lives on Hekishima, a small island to the southwest of the main islands of Japan. He lives with his grandmother Tae while working part time at a junk shop. The popular pastimes on the island are the ongoing turf war called "Libstease" and an online game set in the virtual world of "Rhyme." Aoba isn't involved in either, preferring to live peacefully, until one day he is forced into a Rhyme battle.

This series is streaming on Crunchyroll.

First episode:
So er... this first episode focuses on many things: showing us all the main bishonen guys and their 'gangs', main character's daily life and glimpses of his past and some virtual game. Then there's Aoba's robotlike sidekick. While there are numerous bishounen guys with flashy style walking around, they aren't doing anything stereotypical of yaoi animes yet. The show is actually trying to tell us a story, so it seems. Aside from the grandmother though, the characters feel a bit bland.

I'll stay around for a few more episodes to see what kind of show this will turn out to be.

Last edited by A Mystery on Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Looks like another one of those where they expect you to have played the game, although it's not as incomprehensible as BlazBlue was. Everybody's really pretty though, I guess that's something. -_-
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I've actually played the game that this is based on, and so far this adaptation is pretty much what I'd expect, since the beginning of the game was also basically "let's introduce all the characters in quick succession". I think the game had a fairly interesting plot even without the BL elements, but I guess all I can do right now is wait and see how well the anime adapts it.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:59 am Reply with quote
I'm dying at the fact that the dog is Ringabel from Bravely Default.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
Not that i was expecting any real BL, but this had less subtext than Free!, unless you count that everybody seems to think the MC is kinda awesome.

That aside, it wasn't bad. Nice visuals and the plot seems interesting enough to keep me watching.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:31 am Reply with quote
A shame Rhyme battles aren't rap battles. That would have been neet Laughing.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:40 am Reply with quote
I was interested in this because the figures are popular on My Figure Collection but the first ep I am sorry to say did not engage me at all.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Oh, so this is an actual yaoi thing. I guess that explains my feelings that the "twins" are a couple, my response to seeing them was how cute that they have matching dos and stylistic mismatching clothes. Well I had a number of problems of saying "this is so gay", and the personalities seem eh and with standard meet bishie after bishie. But I liked the technology aspect here, so I might watch a bit more.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Who knew Aoba had it in him.
It was nice to see his fight personality kick in.
He sure needed the extra boost.
The whole situation just add confusion to his life.
His little doggy Ren is pretty cute.
It was surprising to see his completely different form in the game.
Clear, what a weird looking guy.
His fashion sense sure is interesting.
New characters keep popping up...]
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Wow, after episode 2, this show is really becoming one of my top shows of the season. I'm not really into BL stuff, and I honestly didn't know it was based on a BL game when I thought it sounded interested. But it's really clicking with me. The characters are interesting, and there's an underlying story where the MC knows the least, but it isn't because he's dumb. I dunno why, but I get drawn to stories where the MC is being kept in the dark, either for their own safety, or because there's more danger in them knowing than not.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I liked this episode, I actually found it more interesting than the corresponding part of the game. Ren is just so cute, even with the deep voice, I just want to cuddle the little robo-doggie.

My guess before this series started airing was that they would combine every character's route into one story, and judging by this episode I'd say I was right, though I'm not surprised. In this episode they had little bits that correspond to two of the different game routes.

Koujaku was my favorite from the game, so I was glad to see quite a bit of him here.

Hmm, I can't think of anything else to say that doesn't contain at least slight spoilers, so I guess that's it from me!
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Aoba got an interesting customer.
Oh he wished that guy was just a customer.
He was his opponent in Rhyme.
Aoba's amnesia is a bit annoying.
Hope he remembers everything soon.
He seems to have collected an interesting bunch of people.
Clear is totally the weirdest one.
Noiz can be so unpredictable he he..
Aoba's grandma is a fun lady but she has a secret..]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 The innuendo-laden conversation between Aoba, Koujaku and Mizuki was interesting. I thought it meant that they'd sidestep (while leaving hints strewn about) the gay issue altogether, but then Noiz comes in and, well, that happened, so I don't know what their game is here.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
The entire third episode I was thinking, "This poor series' budget." Sad It looks to be on peanuts already. Everyone is going off model!

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 3 The innuendo-laden conversation between Aoba, Koujaku and Mizuki was interesting. I thought it meant that they'd sidestep (while leaving hints strewn about) the gay issue altogether, but then Noiz comes in and, well, that happened, so I don't know what their game is here.

I wasn't expecting it. I thought they'd gut any BL and leave it to fan imagination. Though, at least in anime!Noiz's mind, there wasn't any romantic intent, so the writers could continue to play it off like that if they wish. Personally, I hope we get some real sparks later on.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
Though, at least in anime!Noiz's mind, there wasn't any romantic intent

This is how the scene plays out in the game too, actually. It's mostly to show that Noiz doesn't consider things like this to be a big deal. Although even so, I'll admit that I was still expecting them to cut it from the anime, so now I'm not sure what to expect in terms of BL content cuts.

Also, some of the scenes with Mizuki are not in the game (though I suppose they could be from the sequel, which I have not played), but I still enjoyed them. It helps show that he, Aoba, and Koujaku are good friends, while in the game we're mostly just told that they are.

Another addition that I liked was seeing how Clear can drink with the gas mask on. In the game they only show him eat. Yeah it was a small thing, but I still liked it. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4