• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Harmony Gold Launches 'Robotech Academy' Mini-Series Pilot Kickstarter Campaign

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I just want releases of Macross, is this too much to ask? It's disappointing to see them still clinging to Robotech brand name out of nostalgia. It just makes me hate the 80s and 90s nostalgia bandwagon even more when people refuse to let that stuff die off in favor of progression.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"continue the legacy of the original animated series and bring the Robotech universe to a new generation of anime audiences."

Or they could just watch the various Macross sequels and not the anachronistic jumbled mess made out of desperation for a new cartoon. Robotech and Harmony Gold really just need to die out for all of the real licensing trouble they cause. It's not just a harmless "let us enjoy our nostalgia-driven cartoon" when it still messes with other licenses.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnmora

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Really hope this fails and sends a message to Harmony Gold that they've run Robotech into the ground and that fans these days want the original Macross releases.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Not a dime.
SynergyMan

gloverrandal wrote:
I just want releases of Macross, is this too much to ask? It's disappointing to see them still clinging to Robotech brand name out of nostalgia. It just makes me hate the 80s and 90s nostalgia bandwagon even more when people refuse to let that stuff die off in favor of progression.

To be fair, SDF, Macross Plus and II were released a long time ago. I know the latter two achieved huge successes in the US, but the first one failed.

Also, I love how people ONLY complain what they did to Macross, even though 2 OTHER shows were altered. Why does only Macross matter? Don't the other two shows matter?
SpacemanHardy

Give money to Harmony Gold? HA!! Not a chance. Laughing

This guy deserves your money more than Harmony Gold does: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Laughing I can not believe how stupidly arrogant HG is to even think that today's anime fans wouldn't know just what Robotech is that they can ask for Kickstarter money, and it would have to be someone who's never ever heard or seen an anime in their life who would actually be that stupid to hand over even a penny towards it. Also knowing that Robotech is a very butchered Macross, just where are they getting any new Macross anime material to make this Academy thing? Boil the already bleached bones of the original? Are the Japanese license holders, who either have or have not settled their own infighting over rights, that stupid as well? Good luck with that Harmonious Gaul. Laughing Laughing Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
Also, I love how people ONLY complain what they did to Macross, even though 2 OTHER shows were altered. Why does only Macross matter? Don't the other two shows matter?

No, not really. No one gives a shit about Mospeada or Southern Cross and they never had sequels, unless you count that music video thing for Mospeada. Also, if you want those series, they're available.

You can really tangibly feel HG's desperation here, that they have to beg for half a million to make a pilot with GONZO-esque CG from over a decade ago. It's pathetic.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
C'mon guys, they want three times as much as Trigger did for Little Witch Academia 2. That naturally means it will be three times as good!
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
Why does only Macross matter? Don't the other two shows matter?

Macross is still being made so it's relevant. Moseapda and Southern Cross aren't.

Mohawk52 wrote:
I can not believe how stupidly arrogant HG is to even think that today's anime fans wouldn't know just what Robotech is that they can ask for Kickstarter money, and it would have to be someone who's never ever heard or seen an anime in their life who would actually be that stupid to hand over even a penny towards it.

This isnt aimed at anime fans. It's aimed at those adult guys who cling to nostalgia. The people who like Transformers, Voltron, Power Rangers, Sailor Moon, and all that stuff. I mean despite Super Sentai being readily available online there's still people who give a crap about Power Rangers for some reason. Just like there's people who complain that Sailor Moon Crystal wont have the dub VAs or use the American names. Don't underestimate people's dedication to nostalgia. Which unfortunately means this probably will be funded.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
HA! Yeah right Rolling Eyes

A Kickstarter for Harmony Gold to suicide itself out of existence I'd support.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Given just how many Robotech and/or 80's/90's sci-fi fans that are out there, this shouldn't really have an issue getting funded I think.

Still don't understand what exactly it is about HG/Robotech that halts any possibilities of 7/Frontier/Zero getting brought stateside. Given this age of internet information, surely there is something I can read that states exactly and clearly what the issue is?

Last edited by Megiddo on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
SynergyMan wrote:
Why does only Macross matter? Don't the other two shows matter?

Macross is still being made so it's relevant. Moseapda and Southern Cross aren't.

Mohawk52 wrote:
I can not believe how stupidly arrogant HG is to even think that today's anime fans wouldn't know just what Robotech is that they can ask for Kickstarter money, and it would have to be someone who's never ever heard or seen an anime in their life who would actually be that stupid to hand over even a penny towards it.

This isnt aimed at anime fans. It's aimed at those adult guys who cling to nostalgia. The people who like Transformers, Voltron, Power Rangers, Sailor Moon, and all that stuff. I mean despite Super Sentai being readily available online there's still people who give a crap about Power Rangers for some reason. Just like there's people who complain that Sailor Moon Crystal wont have the dub VAs or use the American names. Don't underestimate people's dedication to nostalgia. Which unfortunately means this probably will be funded.

Number 1, yes those shows do matter. Remember, Robotech, not just the Macross saga was a complete hit over here, therefore we have to respect those Mosepada and Southern Cross as much as Macross. For years, people have rightly attacked Robotech, but when it comes to the show as a whole, people are like "no, we only care what they did to Macross. Mosepada and Southern Cross don't matter, even though they're part of why Robotech was successful."
It doesn't matter if they're not being made. Directed and produced by same guy and company. 2, Power Rangers isn't really like Super Sentai. It's hard to explain, but Power Rangers is not comparable. Power Rangers is mostly original, with heavy influences and design from Sentai. Robotech isn't original in the slightest.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Can we make a sort of anti-campaign encouraging people not to donate their hard earned money to these idiots?
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Word what scares me is Academy.

Aside, I'm hundred percent behind SpacemanHardy. Not chance in hell, Harmony Gold botches and has the worse judgement when it comes to handling the Robotech franchise.

Only way I would trust is someone who not involved with HG in the first place. Period.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6