• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cross Ange: Rondo of Angels and Dragons (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote

Cross Ange: Rondo of Angels and Dragons (TV)

Genres: action, sci-fi

Plot Summary: Due to humanity obtaining the data technology that has evolved to a great amount—called "Mana"—the human race is able to subjugate all wars, starvation, pollution, and other problems on Earth by using its power, which is similar to magic. Earth has obtained the utopia of complete peace and no wants.

First princess of the Misurugi Empire, Angelize. As with everyone else, she also had no wants or worries. She was celebrated by the people of the empire, and was supposed to wear the crown. However, she realizes the shocking truth that she is a Norma. "Norma": An irregular existence that cannot use Mana, and are treated as heretics and as "things" rather than people. Having everything stolen from her, she isolates herself on a remote island.

What was waiting for her there was a fateful meeting with a group of Norma girls who know nothing but battle. The girls spend their days riding humanoid robot weapons called "Barameiru" hunting giant dragons that have come from another dimension to invade. Having her name taken from her, what will soldier Ange see at the end of the fight? What can she believe in? What will she obtain? The story of a single girl's fortitude starts now.

Preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Fw1sJFpK2mo
----------------------------------

This has quite the cast and a premise with mecha themes. I think this was announced not long ago and is schedule to premiere as a 2 cour. The premise is a bit unusual though and looks like we have "giant dragons" as part of the concept in a form of...invasion?

There's a lot of questions that hopefully will be answered. Nonetheless, looking forward to this. The character designs are also quite something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a mecha fan, but robots and dragons? Why yes, I'll give it a shot.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
why no male in this anime?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

It was wow....

Well, the first episode established that no one is to be trusted. Anyways, it was spoiler[more like a prequel or flashback episode since we see how the princess (or maybe I should say Ange)' life changed forever.]

I think next episode will be the parts involving with spoiler[her training with that PV.] At any rate, that ending is a bit controversial. Also, the OP song reminds me of Gundam SEED quite a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:30 am Reply with quote
I don't know how contraversial the ending was. spoiler[cavity checks] are pretty common in prisons. It was certainly dramatized for impact.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:42 am Reply with quote
This is what happens when you do these threads a month beforehand Stark700, it ruins all the fun of being the first person, and when I finaly watch something I check the last two pages and see nothing. I think I have one up on you and then you almost straight away bring up the one you made earlier. Now I should move my ask for mine to be removed, but I was proud of how I worded mine.

I will wait for an admin to say that I messed up and yet again Stark700's early bird threads have bested me.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:46 am Reply with quote
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:50 am Reply with quote
Okay, a lot of shock value here.

I think when you spoiler[feel even less empathy for the main character than the cruel, twisted world she lives in,] that's something else. This episode really, really wants you to hate her so much that the second half of the episode is almost a revenge fantasy.

I won't say I loved this first offering, but it made me interested enough to want to see where it goes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:50 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

Yeah, why didn't I think of checking the discussion index for a show that had not even started, had no source material, and as far a I had seen very little buzz.

EDIT: wait, sorry, the Wikipedia article has a sentence that mentions something about a manga starting two months ago.

p.s. I am just probably being a bit of an arse out of jealousy.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
This show has slapped a dog collar on me and is dragging me around like its helpless little bitch.

SF? Check.

Dragons? Check.

Big tits? Check.

Cruel lesbian warriors? Check.

I'm in love.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:13 am Reply with quote
"For Christ's sake, Ange, I know you have singles to sell, but we're trying to work here. Stop singing for five god-damned seconds!"
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:22 am Reply with quote
^ I assume that would be the beginning spoiler[when she is singing while everyone is talking over their radios].

Well I guess I will just move most of my post here, rather than wait.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:24 am Reply with quote
I think it is best to not to read description as I was mighty surprised when watching the first episode.

Episode 1

Again, I did not know what this was about before watching the first episode, all I thought was long name and the picture I saw looked boring. In the very start we get spoiler[mecha fighting dragons], I repeat spoiler[Mecha fight againt dragons]! Yes that is awesome, automatically worth points. And after going through an OP that is not that interesting since we do not really know anything else yet, we are presented with the heroine, a princess that seems perfect called Angelese, even spoiler[in losing a game she has everyone loving her]. You could really see her like many other perfect anime princesses.

What follows though is one big shock. We find out that their culture has spoiler[racist hatred of people who are born with a resistance to magic, that even a baby is treated like a monster]. The shock being that the spoiler["perfect princes" joins in telling the mother that her baby is a monster, that she should forget about it and maybe have a normal baby.] This is actually quite confronting thing for who would be the main character, and after commenting that this is rather sick, I kind of appreciated the guts.

There is some nudity later through the episode, it probably could have done without spoiler[see-through pyjamas.] Really things don't look too bad for the princess, spoiler[although I probably should have seen that it was only creating this setting so that it could tear it away]. In what was a surprise to me, the spoiler[princess is revealed to be a Norma, that is one of the anti-magic people, and in a second all the love of her of a princess turns into the fear and hatred of the Norma]. I think what is strong with these scenes is the spoiler[mother/daughter thing] that we see between the spoiler[queen and the princess], as well as how devastated spoiler[the one who had her baby is while near the empty crib]. Yet it has nothing on seeing Angelese spoiler[stripped of her status, and belongings and violated at the institution], it will probably be too intense for some people.

I am in.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote
Yeah, gotta admit after seeing Ange's attitude I was looking forward to her getting the rug pulled out from under her.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
Lots of very "conveniently" dressed girls..
Girls operating some interesting looking mechas.
The weird variation of Lacrosse was inventive.
Whole Norma thing was so cruel..
It was fun to see how it backfired on the Princess.
This has potential, but feels more like it's for guys.
Gonna skip it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 28