Forum - View topic
GAME: Dangan Ronpa 2: Goodbye Despair




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
yappers4



Joined: 28 Apr 2011
Posts: 191
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Once the exhilaration of the trial is over, the player has to sit and read the guilty party's final speech. Some equivocate, some don't. Some have their reasons, some don't.


Every guilty character had a reason for carrying out their crime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jacquipuff



Joined: 02 Jul 2014
Posts: 274
Location: Silver Spring, MD
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Just recently finished playing this game, and yeah, I have no idea why they decided to add the Logic Dive mini-game. The first time it came up I thought "oh, this is kinda interesting", but the course you have to navigate through gets harder and harder each time the mini-game comes up, and by the time I got to the very last one in the game, I was falling off the course so many times that I was worried that I'd have to restart on the easier difficulty level just to get through it (I eventually managed though). And the Hangman's Gambit...they stick the word "Improved" in front of it, but in my opinion they just made it worse.

But I did really, really enjoy this game. I loved the first one, so I guess that was a given. I like how they added the ability to agree with statements during Nonstop Debate, compared to how you could only disagree in the first game. The characters might not develop much for the most part, but that didn't stop me from getting attached to a whole bunch of them, and subsequently being really sad whenever one of them would die.

And I really hope we get the Zettai Zetsubou Shoujo spin-off game here in the US.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings



Joined: 04 Jul 2013
Posts: 581
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
yappers4 wrote:
Quote:
Once the exhilaration of the trial is over, the player has to sit and read the guilty party's final speech. Some equivocate, some don't. Some have their reasons, some don't.


Every guilty character had a reason for carrying out their crime.


Actually, spoiler[the Chapter 5 culprit didn't have a reason, because the murder they committed was entirely accidental.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yappers4



Joined: 28 Apr 2011
Posts: 191
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
yappers4 wrote:
Quote:
Once the exhilaration of the trial is over, the player has to sit and read the guilty party's final speech. Some equivocate, some don't. Some have their reasons, some don't.


Every guilty character had a reason for carrying out their crime.


Actually, spoiler[the Chapter 5 culprit didn't have a reason, because the murder they committed was entirely accidental.]


In Chapter 5, spoiler[the victim had a reason, not the culprit. The victim's reason was to lure out the traitor and have the traitor kill him and have everybody else killed but the traitor in the class trial. I'm only at chapter 0, but I'm assuming the victim knew of the traitor's purpose and identity and had it planned so the traitor could carry out their task. The struggle between hope and despair was only a bonus for him, even though he was already dead.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Treeborn



Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 654
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I didn't play the first game because I only discovered the series after the anime, so I felt it would ruin the suspense. I picked this up the day it was released and beat it in a few days. I loved the storyline, I really felt for spoiler[Usami and Chiaki] when they died, and spoiler[Nagito's] death had me in great suspense and shock (I actually dropped a few F-bombs from my surprise lol). What I absolutely hated, though, was all the different minigames they kept adding to the trial (Gambit, Drive, saving statements as arguments, keeping along with the music's beat). It was used with the purpose of keeping me entertained, but it just became a bother and annoyed me. My second complaint was during the absolute final "trial" when we have to spoiler[roam through the ever changing school.] It was pretty pointless for us to move throughout all of those rooms for small chunks of info. At that point, I just wanted to drop the game and watch the ending on YouTube. Thankfully, I pushed through and got to see one of my favorite characters Smile

There aren't very many good games for the Vita here, so I want to give it a 10/10 just for being better than all the other garbage we get, but, honestly, I give this an overall 7.5/10

What really killed it for me is that the "bonding" time you invest in any of the characters is completely pointless, not altering the direction of the storyline in the slightest, and emphasising the fact that this game relies heavily on useless little quirks to keep players "entertained".

That being said, I'll still check out the anime if it gets an adaption, because I really like the storyline Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yappers4



Joined: 28 Apr 2011
Posts: 191
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I'd give this an 8.5/10. The mini games didn't bother me in the slightest, except for the (Improved) Hangman's Gambit. The other thing that bothered me was spoiler[the fun house in chapter 4. It dragged on a little more than it supposed to, and the scenery strained my eyes.] If anything, the Danganronpa series always improves itself more than any of its previous entry.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FlamingFirewire



Joined: 03 Jun 2013
Posts: 348
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Very much enjoyed this game and the game before it - hopefully we'll see that spin-off game that's coming out in Japan soon over here as well. Only stopped playing this game since the battery on my Vita almost died, so it must be doing something right ^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 3765
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
I didn't play the first game because I only discovered the series after the anime, so I felt it would ruin the suspense. I picked this up the day it was released and beat it in a few days. I loved the storyline, I really felt for spoiler[Usami and Chiaki] when they died, and spoiler[Nagito's] death had me in great suspense and shock (I actually dropped a few F-bombs from my surprise lol). What I absolutely hated, though, was all the different minigames they kept adding to the trial (Gambit, Drive, saving statements as arguments, keeping along with the music's beat). It was used with the purpose of keeping me entertained, but it just became a bother and annoyed me. My second complaint was during the absolute final "trial" when we have to spoiler[roam through the ever changing school.] It was pretty pointless for us to move throughout all of those rooms for small chunks of info. At that point, I just wanted to drop the game and watch the ending on YouTube. Thankfully, I pushed through and got to see one of my favorite characters Smile

There aren't very many good games for the Vita here, so I want to give it a 10/10 just for being better than all the other garbage we get, but, honestly, I give this an overall 7.5/10

What really killed it for me is that the "bonding" time you invest in any of the characters is completely pointless, not altering the direction of the storyline in the slightest, and emphasising the fact that this game relies heavily on useless little quirks to keep players "entertained".


Some of those things you complained about were in the first game namely the Hangman's Gambit, Bullet Time Battle and Copying a character's phrase to use in another piece of testimony (which isn't a minigame). Though Hangman's Gambit was less tedious. The whole bit with searching around the school during the final case was done more for nostalgia and continuity then anything else as for the free time segments those serve no other purpose but to allow you to get to know a character which you don't have much time to do within the main story for obvious reasons hence why they made school mode.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group