• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2014 Anime Preview Guide - The Fruit of Grisaia

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bastek66

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Haha, I knew that rating will be like this. Go rewatch some artsy shit like Aku no Hana.
BrandonL337

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
much as I liked this episode, and the VN, I can't really disagree with this. the premise is pretty silly, it's just a matter of suspension of disbelief whether you can take it seriously.

It'll be interesting to see whether the MC remains the "stoic badass" throughout, as much of the inner monologue seems to have been excised, and that provided a lot of the depth of his character.

however, he's also kind of an asshole in his inner monologue, so it's a mixed bag.
Vokurek

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Personally I think the show can still turn out to be fine. Theres not that many shows with mentally ill girls lol. This ep was not that bad, but used cheap tricks and turned out to be little bit silly
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, the story is actually pretty good, but it really is more convincing as a VN. Yeah, it can get a little silly with the sexual cavalier attitudes, but they can't get away with full blown sex scenes in most anime.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Like Zac, I mostly laughed through this episode. I'll still give it 2 more episodes though cause I like hearing Tomoe Tamiyasu
Aquaregia99

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely watching this for Akio Watanabe's art directing... and as Megiddo and Zac, I found myself finding the situation to be more funny than serious.
DLH112

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:58 am Reply with quote
I've read the VN, and I kind of wish I could objectively judge this episode/didn't have that knowledge. I'd probably have similar thoughts to some people and dismiss it as an ecchi harem type anime with a BA male protag just trying to be dark, gritty, etc.. I've seen too many anime with those elements over the last year or two.

I think part of the point of Grisaia, and maybe the reason the creators were inspired to make it, is to have a typical harem setting with girls of the typical anime/VN archetypesspoiler[ on the surface; but have a background for each of them that would actually give them that personality. In turn, the extreme nature of these backgrounds shows how ridiculous/unrealistic the archetypes are.] Maybe I give it too much credit though? -(not sure if thats spoiler worthy really)-

The panty shots in the episode were the only thing I really had a problem with. I guess it is an adaptation of an 18+ game, so they should be expected unfortunately though. IIRC, A lot of the character interaction in the episode demonstrates/hints at parts of a character's personality and background. This is what makes it so hard to try to judge it like a first timer. Those hints even include spoiler[bare-chested Amane] and spoiler[...at least a few other things Razz]

(trying to be careful not to say too much)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:19 am Reply with quote
I wish they would be easy on the censorship and have it in the vain of Rail
Wars! where there's little fan service worth censoring.
bobob101

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I had a blast with this first episode, though that was almost entirely because I have played the entire VN. But I like how we are going to address all the "sins" upfront, because the game does the normal route thing seen in so many VNs. I never played Irisu's route because I don't ship that kinda of loli, I did go through all the other girls. Amane has a ridiculously horrible backstory, and I bet we will get at least 1 episode to learn about her. But Sachi is best girl.

I give this episode a 4, but I was a fan before the anime was even announced.

Anyone planning to play the sequel when its released?
bastek66

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:51 am Reply with quote
Akuma no Riddle, no Azuma.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
@bobob101 firstly there is sequel allrdy released and you don't even need to pay for it to get it:D just it's not translated:(( You should regret not playing Makina's route since her was Best.
Also Anime was enjoyable probably cause i played game i loled whole episode sadly they skipped a lot of nice scenes just to intruduce quickly characters in first episode - spoiler[also that missleading which looks like akuma no riddle is amazing][/quote]
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
If there is anything good about this show, it's definitely the production quality.
"midrange production values"?? Whatchu talkn 'bout Willis? lol
Maybe for a film (deinitely not Kara no Kyoukai level), but it's pretty high by TV standards.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1