• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
F/SN: UBW anime thread - new request

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:16 am Reply with quote
Just had a thought. Could I get admin/mod support to start a new UBW anime discussion thread dedicated purely to discussion of the current television show, where it is explicitly stated in the OP that no discussion of source material is allowed?

That way the inconsiderate Moon-Type fanboys can continue their insanely tedious burblings in the original thread while those of us who don't get off on watching paint dry and who don't appreciate having to wade through dozens of irrelevant posts to find a relevant one can post in peace?

Original Post (made under "Can something be done about the UBW anime discussion thread?"):

This one

This thread has been completely taken over by a small group of Type-Moon fanboys who have very little interest in discussion of the show itself but seem endlessly fascinated debating in mind-numbing detail tedious elements of the source material. Terms like "canon" and "head canon" are being tossed around. I shit you not.

Tony K. posted a warning to cease and desist yesterday and was promptly ignored. Of course. When you are a Type-Moon fanboy why would you care about being considerate to other non-Type Moonies who simply want to discuss the show in question?

Given that Tony K. was completely ignored, it would seem some more vigorous action will be needed.

By the way, if anybody out there has the energy to start up an anime discussion board that would immediately ban and delete any poster who refers to source material in any way at all in an anime discussion thread, I would gladly pay $50 a year in subscription fee. It would be worth every penny.

Last edited by Blood- on Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:20 am Reply with quote
Blood-, did you send a PM to Tony K regarding what you said, I think it help if you send PM (and also click on "report post" button) with links to those rule violators to Tony so he can clamp down on those.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:24 am Reply with quote
Tony is obviously already aware of the situation ... to no effect. That's why I've posted this thread.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote
There's no rule against it.

But they are basically destroying that thread for anyone who isn't singularly obsessed with cataloging differences between the VN and the show.

I'll see what I can do but telling people they're not allowed to discuss that aspect of the show isn't really something we can do in good conscience.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:44 am Reply with quote
I am not watching the show or participating in the discussion, but I just looked at the thread and I can understand why Blood- is complaining. If I was trying to talk about the show I would be complaining too.

I think that, in general, any discussion of an anime should be restricted to the anime. There are other places for people to talk about the source material.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:46 am Reply with quote
The problem isn't comparing it to the VN.

The problem is the people who are insistent that since it's the same studio, and was released second, it's therefore a sequel to the Fate/Zero anime, and therefore there is no reason they should have to mark anything from Fate/Zero as spoilers, because, since it's a sequel, you should already have watched Fate/Zero first.

Both Key and Tony K have ruled that Fate/Zero spoilers need to be marked as such, and that Fate/Zero should only be discussed as it pertains to how they're using elements of it in UBW.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
The problem isn't comparing it to the VN.

Yeah, it is. What you describe is also a problem, but the main one is this unrelenting discussion about the VN, what is canon, what is "head canon", blah blah blah.

However, if what they are doing isn't against the rules, then that is that. Apparently, it is too much for them to actually be voluntarily considerate to the posters who just want to talk about the show.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:25 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Tony is obviously already aware of the situation ... to no effect. That's why I've posted this thread.

Well if it continue, PM Tony and I see Zac is aware of this, so I guess action will be taken.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
I don't think you fully undertand Zac's post. He has basically said that absent voluntary consideration on the part of the perpetrators, there is really nothing that can be done (since the aspect that I'm complaining about - i.e. the relentless, boring parsing of source material - doesn't violate any rules).

At least until ANN imposes an "anti-funsucking" policy on thread discussions. Wink
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I don't think you fully undertand Zac's post. He has basically said that absent voluntary consideration on the part of the perpetrators, there is really nothing that can be done (since the aspect that I'm complaining about - i.e. the relentless, boring parsing of source material - doesn't violate any rules).

At least until ANN imposes an "anti-funsucking" policy on thread discussions. Wink

I know, but at least some action are taken, and I'll agreed with "anti-fansucking" policy and also you said couple of users were focusing too much on the source but not on the anime itself, right?? (and it's on a anime forum not a manga or any other part of the forum on there)

So would that constitute as going off topic if they discussed too much on the source rather then the anime itself?? If it is, then those users should be put on moderation because they violated the rule of going off topic, put them on moderation, and then there you go problem solved. Last time I check, going off topic is against the rule, right??
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
Yeah, there is precedence for admins/mods to say, "okay, we are shutting down non-rule breaking discussion of topic _____ because it's going nowhere and only serving to piss people off." Doesn't sound like that approach is going to be taken here, though.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, the most I can say for that thread is threatening to delete posts without spoiler tags. I can't help that certain users are way more obsessed about the source material than others and wanna' draw parallel/contrasts between all existing iterations. But at the same time, I don't wanna' accidentally read some kind of spoiler that would ruin my enjoyment of eventually finishing Zero or playing the VN.

And technically, talking about the VNs and Zero continuity doesn't violate any of the hard-written rules. It just comes down to each persons sense of awareness and willingness of courtesy to control all the info dumping. I could try to be more stern, but then I'd have contribute an equal or greater obsession to monitoring everything as much as the Fate-fanatics in the thread.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's not worth it, really. Well, this certainly provides more evidence why Type-Moonies are among the most loathed segment of anime fandom.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
And technically, talking about the VNs and Zero continuity doesn't violate any of the hard-written rules.

I had assumed that there were rules about staying on topic, but I guess that there are not.
After looking at the rules all that I can find is this:
"Discussion should be related to anime, anime news, Anime News Network, the forum topic, or in some way relevant to this website."

So it seems that we can talk about anything that we want to, in any thread in any forum, as long as it is relevant to something on the ANN site and does not violate any other rules.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Honestly, the most I can say for that thread is threatening to delete posts without spoiler tags. I can't help that certain users are way more obsessed about the source material than others and wanna' draw parallel/contrasts between all existing iterations. But at the same time, I don't wanna' accidentally read some kind of spoiler that would ruin my enjoyment of eventually finishing Zero or playing the VN.

And technically, talking about the VNs and Zero continuity doesn't violate any of the hard-written rules. It just comes down to each persons sense of awareness and willingness of courtesy to control all the info dumping. I could try to be more stern, but then I'd have contribute an equal or greater obsession to monitoring everything as much as the Fate-fanatics in the thread.

I see, so the going off-topic rule doesn't applied in this situation, well this is unfortunate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2