• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Early Anime Site 'Anime Web Turnpike' Goes Offline

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:36 am Reply with quote
Farewell to an anime site that I forgot about until I saw this article.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:39 am Reply with quote
I've only used that site 4-5 times ever, not something I remember fondly at all.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
I never used it as it was before my time, so I'm not sad about its passing. I imagine a few old-timers would be though.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
having first gotten the internet at home back around the time that started and that coinciding with me getting more into anime than I already was (because between using the internet to find fansub distros, which I actually found thru Anime Web Turnpike IIRC, and some of the video and video rental stores in the area actually getting anime sections I could finally do more than watch what aired on TV while I was home and the tiny selection the library had) and that site really helped me start to get into the online anime community. fond memories there, but alas its era has passed and now even the haunting remnant of it is gone.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
Anipike was a fantastic resource for its time. Found quite a few neat fansites and such through there and later on got my own sites listed. Was on their forums for awhile, too, and I think I might've tried contributing my own Trixie Turnpike designs at some point. Haven't been there in years, but it's sad to see another piece of my Internet Past go.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:58 am Reply with quote
Wow, thinking of the Anipike takes me back. I remember having it as my homepage for years during my early fandom days.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:17 am Reply with quote
Anipike used to be the big hub for anime fan pages back in the day, I remember spending hours opening and visiting links to charming fan-made HTML pages way back when. Seeing that animated gif of Trixie really takes me back to a different time, when I used to be really big into MIDIs and dialup was how you got connected to the web. As the internet grew and the site's collection of links became less relevant, I sort of lost interest in visiting the site --- hearing about it again, though, is a nice trip down memory lane. Thanks for all the memories, Anipike!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:29 am Reply with quote
Hmmm. End of the road. (Sorry, couldn't resist ). I remember Anipike and used a few of the links there to get info on Tenchi Muyo and one or two other anime back when I first got the hunger for more anime in 2000. Them and Otakuworld.com which so far is still going. I think it was Anipike that connected me to ANN in the day too, so it's thanks to them that I'm here. Oh well, the only thing that stays constant is that everything changes sooner, or later.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:33 am Reply with quote
Wow, Anipike. The memories. All of those Gundam Wing, Ranma 1/2, and Rayearth websites I used to visit back in the day on the Classic Anipike. I was introduced to many memorable sites: Heero Is Not Toast, The Murder Saga, Pocket Bishoujo. I imagine I still have some Gundam Wing wallpaper I got from fansites on those pages (including the Duo / Heero picture that freaked out one guy once he realized that the two people cuddling were guys... he refused to step in my dorm room until I changed my background, lol).

Farewell, ye ol' Turnpike. Thanks for those good early internet years. *Salutes*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:39 am Reply with quote
Pocket Bishoujo was actually a spinoff of Pocket Bishonen... At one point, I had an almost complete collection... then my harddrive crashed T.T

I'm pretty sure I discovered grep*sailormoon from there. Another former grep*er now lives with me!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:18 am Reply with quote
Wow, I remember when Anime Web Turnpike first started, right on the front page they had this huge (filled up the monitor screen at the usual resolution at the time) logo resembling of course the red-white-blue interstate highway sign, that took forever to load! (Internet wasn't fast, so I definitely remember thinking that was a web design faux pas.) Knew a few people there like Nikkou and Ryan Mathews. Mascot Trixie with her annual Halloween and other holidays makeovers.

Same thing how Yahoo started as a web directory, back then ya could put all the notable anime websites (back when fans built their own websites) in one website directory. If ya wanted your anime site to be known to the world, that was the place to get it listed. For example if you're looking for shrines, rings, mailing lists, FTP archives, or fansub distribution and trading websites (went down the alphabetical list printing those). News and resources before wikipedia. So ya don't have to bookmark anything when many people didn't have their own computers.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:35 am Reply with quote
Ah, the days of private fan websites, before blogs, and home pages to index them--
Count me as another surprised that "Wait, this lived PAST the 00's? Shocked "

I had already given it up for dead when they stopped updating their Trixie Turnpike mascot's Halloween and holiday costumes every year, and that was at least up to '99. Sad
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:59 am Reply with quote
Damn I'm freaking old.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:05 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I was also a regular visitor of AniPike back in the late 90's, pretty much up until I started visiting ANN regularly in 2002. Now where am I going to go to get my fix of Tenchi Muyo web shrines and Ranma 1/2 .KISS dolls?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:18 am Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:
Damn I'm freaking old.
Older than 62 mate? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3