• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sega Hires Executive to Adapt Its Games in Hollywood

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote
So Sega basically wants to make their own Marvel Cinematic Universe-style films using their franchises... Good luck Sega, you're gonna need it.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
The same Hollywood that thought up the idea to recreate Battleship? No, thanks. If they were to turn those IPs into anime shows, then their success rate would've been higher (a la Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis)

Last edited by Hameyadea on Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
So Sega basically wants to make their own Marvel Cinematic Universe-style films using their franchises... Good luck Sega, you're gonna need it.

Unless you mean something along the lines of a shared universe when you say "Marvel Cinematic Universe-style films", I don't get what you mean. Even then if that is what you mean, it just sounds like they're trying to make separate films for multiple properties (plus possibly an animated series).

Last edited by Pokenatic on Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:04 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't think this is not going to come out well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:

Unless you mean something along the lines of a shared universe when you say "Marvel Cinematic Universe-style films", I don't get what you mean. Even then if that is what you mean, it just sounds like they're trying to make separate films for multiple properties (plus possibly an animated series).

"Marvel-style Cinematic Universe" is the new codeword for producers who want a lot of pre-greenlit sequels, without really understanding what it means.
("Epic LOTR-style saga" used to be the codeword for closed trilogies, until the Hobbit stank that one up.)
And yes, it helps when you have characters, which Sega doesn't.

Although, to be fair, they didn't say they wanted a "shared universe", they just wanted the ability to turn game titles into movies, like, yes, Hasbro did with Battleship when they thought "Maybe it'll work like it did for the Transformers". (And if Battleship didn't finish off that idea, Ouija certainly did.)
That said, didn't we already have a Shinobi movie in Japan, or was that something else?

And since most of the Sega properties date back to the Genesis 90's, it's certainly going to be hard to do anything with Streets of Rage without getting serious "Double Dragon: the Movie" flashbacks. (Or even the cartoon series, if that's where they're headed.)
It's not like Miike Takahashi doing the Ace Attorney movie, after all...
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
"Marvel-style Cinematic Universe" is the new codeword for producers who want a lot of pre-greenlit sequels, without really understanding what it means.
("Epic LOTR-style saga" used to be the codeword for closed trilogies, until the Hobbit stank that one up.)
And yes, it helps when you have characters, which Sega doesn't.

Thanks for the explanation.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
This project could result in a lot of movies being made, or it could come to nothing.
Any movies that do get made could be good or bad, subjectively speaking.

Personally I like the idea of somebody at least trying to make a movie that I might want to watch. I can always just not watch it if it seems like it is not going to be good.
It is not going to cost me anything for somebody else to try making a movie, and I might get a movie that I will enjoy.

It seems to me that I have nothing to lose and something to gain in this scenario.

However, I do not play the games so I am not going to be bothered if Hollywood makes them look bad.
If I was a fan of the games I might be a bit more pessimistic about this.
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
Does this mean the whole video game thing isn't working out for Sega? I figured they would try to do one thing well before trying to do multiple things.

I'm interested to see if this turns into something though. Sega has a lot of properties and I am currently enjoying the Sonic Boom animated show.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
Please no live action Sonic or Puyo Puyo movies, humanity does not need Hollywood treating those franchises with the utmost disrespect.
TheAnagelic1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Would be nice if some of those properties got a new game once in awhile that's NOT a mobile game, but you know...
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Crazy Taxi movie just sounds so stupid pick up drop off as fast as on can
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:

When in doubt, add aliens
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:

Weirdos in cabs? That was already done. It was only the seminal sitcom of the late 70's/early 80's.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:

Another problem a film similar to Crazy Taxi has already been done and it didn't really worked well.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Jet Set Radio would make for an ok movie, too bad it may not make money since graffiti is more of a 90's to very early 2000's thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3