• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Link Tops The Rankings As the World's Most Popular Amiibo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Pretty interesting to know this. I would have guessed Mario but I'm pleasantly surprised.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
It makes sense because Link is the only Amiibo that unlocks additional content, specifically a weapon in Hyrule Warriors. Everyone else are just costumes and cosmetic packs.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Nobody freaked out about Link being called an elf?
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Damn Amiibo. I went to buy them a couple of days after they came out and they were pretty much all gone, except for Mario and Pikachu. I still haven't gotten any. I hope America restocks around April, because I'm on a trip there and I'm going to get some.

No, they aren't region locked.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations to Link for being the No. 1 Amiibo figure worldwide. Smile

I'm willing to bet Rosalina would've been on the higher end of the ranking had it not been for the scalpers that bought all of her Amiibos before the actual fans could.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I thought it wouldn't have mattered, scalpers or not, considering in the end, Nintendo sells as many Rosalinas as were made.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:47 pm Reply with quote
My favorite character in the Smash Bros series. If only the Zelda series would get an anime like that small animated video Nintendo released. That would be a treat.
Link here if you haven't seen it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xqTW13AYniY
Seiru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Woah that actually caught me by suprise I thought he was good but for him to be ranked first,I was not expecting that.Still glad though!

And a bit saddening that Mega Man was only once on the rank but I guess it's still something.Still trying to get Mega Man though since he was sold out where I went.In 10 minutes after opening the cashiers say.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:16 am Reply with quote
Seiru wrote:

And a bit saddening that Mega Man was only once on the rank but I guess it's still something.Still trying to get Mega Man though since he was sold out where I went.In 10 minutes after opening the cashiers say.
where I live, my TRU only had six of him and they went to the first six people waiting in line before the doors opened (they handed out tickets beforehand).
Seiru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote
@ Freyanne
Woah really?Wow talk about not even a chance heh.All of them were sold out were I went including TRU.Hopefully I can get him since I'll start going hunting again this week..
Raikuro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:37 am Reply with quote
Which Amiibo unlocks the most stuff across the most games?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:00 am Reply with quote
Seiru wrote:
Woah that actually caught me by suprise I thought he was good but for him to be ranked first,I was not expecting that.Still glad though!

The fact that the two lists are so vastly different indicates Nintendo made tons of amiibo for some characters and much less of them for some other characters. Pit is the best example, being on the top 10 only in Japan but being among the quickest to sell out in every region except Australia (which, according to word from some Australian companions of mine, have bizarre distribution of these figurines, which is why the Australian charts are pretty dissimilar from the other three regions').

Raikuro wrote:
Which Amiibo unlocks the most stuff across the most games?

There is an eight-way tie with 8 games apiece.

Link can be used in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy Plus, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Party 10, Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad: Treasure Trackers, and One Piece: Grand Battle X. He shares compatible games with Mario, Donkey Kong, Samus, Fox, and Luigi.

Yoshi can be used with the same games as above, only substituting Ace Combat: AHLP with Yoshi's Woolly World. Kirby is also compatible with 8 games, substituting Ace Combat: AHLP with Kirby and the Rainbow Curse.

Last edited by leafy sea dragon on Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:05 am Reply with quote
Wow, wouldn't have guessed that. Especially since a couple of gaming stores near my have plenty of Link Amiibos on their shelves. Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:28 am Reply with quote
Damn these under-production - can't really take these lists seriously since how many were bought is just how many were shipped there; won't really know how many would've actually been bought up to capacity. Nintendo using scarcity to promote consumer uncertainty and drive consumers to purchase the toys immediately. Wise for the short term, but could stifle in the long term**, especially catching up to Disney Infinity or Skylanders (175 million).

(** For instance, some people want to buy Wii-U for the Amiibo, but if they can't get Amiibo, they won't buy Wii-U, thus stifling Wii-U's consumer base growth and, by extension, # of future potential Amiibo buyers.)
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:36 am Reply with quote
Yes, I think Nintendo could have handled the Amiibo distribution differently. Had they imposed a limit to how many Amiibos of a specific character a person could pre-order, the scalper incident would be easily avoided.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2