• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:09 am Reply with quote

(The) Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan (TV)

Genres: comedy, romance, slice of life

Plot Summary: Taking place in the alternate reality of the world Nagato created, everyone finds themselves in different situations. Yuki Nagato, who is not an alien but a cute, shy bookworm is desperate to keep the Literature Club alive. With the help of her best friend Ryoko Asukura, who is no longer a psychotic killer and Kyon, a very sarcastic guy who is still very sarcastic whether he's in the old world or the new one, do all they can to help Yuki.

Later on in the story, Yuki meets Mikuru Asahina, a cute moe blob and Tsurya-san who is Mikuru's best friend, along with Haruhi Suzumiya who is an eccentric girl with an interest in aliens, time travelers, and espers, and Itsuki Koizumi, a "mysterious" transfer student who attends the same school as Haruhi. The seven not only hang out together, but do all they can to help Yuki have hope and also help her blossom in personality.
----------------------------------

The official site has been up awhile now and I took notice of the studio as Satelight. And recently, there has been releases of the character designs. Most of them looks fine imo although Kyon might have to get used to.

I've seen Haruhi a few years ago and thought the show was overall pretty entertaining in the end. The Haruhi movie came out over 5 years ago and we haven't heard much of anything related to the franchise since so I'm pretty interested in this to see how it goes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote
Now here is the big question: spoiler[Will Ryoko still be yandere for Yuki] in this version?

Actually, scratch that. This show would be better with Ryoko x Yuki.

Kyon... is almost unrecognizable in this series. But then again, he is supposed to be a nondescript protagonist, as far as I can tell, so updating him to conform to the contemporary main character aesthetic is not entirely unexpected.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Very much looking forward to this. I'm really enjoying the manga at the moment, so if they can capture it's essence in animated form then it's sure to be a success.

While I'll mostly enjoy the spoiler[Yuki x Kyon] tale which is rather cute, it'll also be great to see Asakura/ Tsuruya back in much larger roles. Not forgetting spoiler[Sasaki] for anyone who's up to date with The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:19 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:03 am Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:

I must say that what appears to be moe aesthetics surprisingly has me interested.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

I kinda liked it. The character designs feels different from what I'm used to from the franchise but the comedy was fresh. Not only that but Yuki is just adorable in this.

spoiler[She also happens to encounter a character (in the first 5 minutes) that I think we are all familiar with.] Theme song has an atmospheric yet soft feeling. Not too shabby for a start!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I know that I am going to enjoy this, a great idea of a spinoff. There were a number of references to the original series too, like Asakura spoiler[humming Bouken Desho Desho], and Yuki spoiler[asking what a fetish was]. And most obvious felt like the spoiler[competition between Yuki and Mikuru being like the movie the club, particularly some of Mikuru's parts].

What I really take from this version of Yuki is that it her personality if it was not quite so expressionless or programed. Yuki's desire for the party actually kind of matches how she wanted to wear the party hat.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Well wasn't that great? So far the studio are doing a great job of adapting the manga and holding the magic of it.

I actually quite like the softer art style and the characters, especially Asakura and Tsuruya get to have much more fun than the original. I'm not sure but I think spoiler[Haruhi may possibly be making her "proper" appearance next week, if not the week after.]Then let the real madness begin... if not for spoiler[Asakura]. Laughing
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:17 am Reply with quote
It was nice to see familiar faces again.
That Nagato sure is a shy girl.
Seeing her at the focus of things was nice.
Kyon - Nagato situation was very interesting.
There's light fun from time to time too.
Still... think I'm gonna skip this.
Sunara Ishi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
The art style feels weird as I was so used to the style in Haruhi Suzumiya. But certain characters look cuter. And the jokes don't feel as insanely funny (yet) but I'm holding out hope.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Yuki is my favorite character in Haruhi and yet I could not get through the first ep of this because everything I loved about Yuki was gone and instead I got sonething horrifying in her place. Dropped!
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
everything I loved about Yuki was gone

This hit me the same way but I am not ready to drop the anime. There doesn't seem to be anything of the original Nagato in this current Yuki character expect a sort of vague passing resemblance based mostly on the colors.

As for the personality...

Original Nagato: cold, precise, infinitely capable and remote. If the entire universe time continuum melts down she is still there. But really so cold and unaccessible? Cracks in the edifice?

Current Yuki: mushy, goofy, unreliable and love-struck. Capable of very little if her friend isn't there and would fall over if a feather hit her. Unlike the opposite Nagato I don't see any evidence of anything contrary to those impressions that would be interesting.

As far as the overall episode is concerned the one real high point was the fleeting appearance of Harui and Koizomi. That was pretty well done.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
As for the personality...

Original Nagato: cold, precise, infinitely capable and remote. If the entire universe time continuum melts down she is still there. But really so cold and unaccessible? Cracks in the edifice?

Current Yuki: mushy, goofy, unreliable and love-struck. Capable of very little if her friend isn't there and would fall over if a feather hit her. Unlike the opposite Nagato I don't see any evidence of anything contrary to those impressions that would be interesting.

I think that this is open for debate. Kyon actually mentioned that he had started to pick up what Alien Yuki was feeling after a while, a major complaint he had against her creators was that they made her incapable of expressing her thoughts and feelings while Ryoko did not suffer from the problem.

Signs of emotion can be spotted not through facial expression, but through action, such as lending Kyon her cardigan while he was sleeping, being interested in the party hat, excited about the library, and actually enjoying herself in the video game (Kyon tells her that she can go to the computer club when she wants). She also seemed as influenced by some people that she starts to not wear glasses when she is praised for how she looks without them.

Yuki's current actions are even quite similar to a number of traits of her in the original series., even in connection to Ryoko. Yuki is plenty happy to continue watching, staying mostly by herself reading. Ryoko though becomes frustrated and acts brashly because cannot stand to wait.

Yuki looked "cold, precise, infinitely capable and remote" because she was essentially an alien robot that her creators gave extra abilities and did not put things in. On the inside she always was mushy (very defensive of her friends, especially Kyon), goofy (insisted on wearing the witch costume, and buying a mask), not entirely reliable (scene with the mouse, or explaining complicated concepts), and love-struck (she creates a normal universe for him).
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Yuki's current actions are even quite similar to a number of traits of her in the original series., even in connection to Ryoko.

Isn't that a bit of a stretch? They both breathe. They both wear North High uniforms. They both have four wheels. So what? Anyway that is besides the point.

What the original Nagato character had to offer is an entity of extreme power and mystery packaged in an appealing high-school form. She was set up as a robot but learned in spite of itself to take on human traits and failings. In fact that spoiler[was the entire fulcrum of the prior "disappearance" movie.]

The current Yuki doesn't offer anything like that. Yeah she is a cute anime girl that does cute things but so are many others. At the end of the day she is totally insignificant other than that she has most of the screen time.

In fact I think that is the whole point. The title of this anime is The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan and indeed she has disappeared -- replaced by this moe-blob that has a few superficial similarities but not much else. But if it weren't for the possibility (promise?) of Nagato returning (since she has disappeared) there wouldn't be much point to watching this other than as a sentimental reprise.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1 was a lot of fun, the show does quite well at taking the opposite road Disappearance did and reveling in it. Yuki is pretty endearing as a character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5