• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omar235

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:31 pm Reply with quote
No it isn't really a comedy it is a bit more serious...IMO it is a better Gundam Seed, as in it has the feel of a gundam series during the fights but the characters are so much less annoying and are a bit more interesting...accept for Suzuka and the story is really interesting. I actually began to watch this show because of the preview since I am a big mech fan though I usally try any mech series that comes out...really pretty much any series that comes out but that is beside the point. Hmm...I don't know if you would like it PantsGoblin it really isn't funny...I mean it is pretty serious with light hearted parts though I though the cat girl cosplay was pretty funny. Just to throw this out there but what sort of series do you usally unjoy...what do you watch more often?
Exaar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:38 pm Reply with quote
No, PantsGoblin, this is not a comedy anime. It's an action/mecha anime (although the mecha are not the main focus, one of the reasons I like it since I don't generally like pure mecha shows).

It has a few comedic scenes, but 99 percent of it is serious action/drama.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
I don't know if you would like it PantsGoblin it really isn't funny...I mean it is pretty serious with light hearted parts though I though the cat girl cosplay was pretty funny. Just to throw this out there but what sort of series do you usally unjoy...what do you watch more often?

Heh heh. No, I enjoy more than just comedy. Comedy's probably my favorite genre, but you'd be able to tell by my favorites that I like more than just that (Rumbling Hearts is far from a comedy). I just wanted to know what it was like before getting into it.
free2slap

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Exaar wrote:

Strange i don't recall any comedic scenes. The anime is all serious, besides the preview guide even said that it's similar to the gundams and i don't recall either the gundams being ever classed to be comedical.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:51 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
it really is hard to tell which was this show goes but I try to use the Gundam series as refrence to perdict what happens but this show manages to still catch me off guard. I wonder how many episodes there is...if it is like the Gundam series probably about 50 episodes.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to address this. It's officially, I believe, scheduled for 24 or 26 episodes, but there are rumors of a second season being planned.

Quote:
With people actually comparing this to the greatness of Death Note, I need to see this now.

Lulu is Raito 2.0, this time, he's more human and less of an ass.

PantsGoblin wrote:
I have to ask if this anime is mainly comedy or something else though. I would think it is based on the comments I read, but I also assumed that about NHK, but didn't get more than a single "lol" out of the show...

There are some humorous bits here and there, but the series is mostly serious.

Exaar wrote:
(although the mecha are not the main focus, one of the reasons I like it since I don't generally like pure mecha shows

Well, in most shows, the mecha are more tools than the focus, but Code Geass definitely relies on them less than most mecha series do. In this series, the Geass and Lulu's scheming and manipulation are the focus.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Exaar wrote:

I would say about 70% action/drama, since all the school life episodes technically fit under the category of "comedy", although I watch them more for character development than for comedic value. The show manages to be subtly funny with all its Pizza Hut references and "Orange" (which I found incredibly amusing by the third time). The action/drama/serious stuff is definitely the main focus of the show, and it's incredibly good, but much like many other mecha/school life series, there's some silly stuff too.

I also heard it was pretty much silly comedy before I started watching the show, and I don't really understand why. Either they find the silly Pizza Hut/Orange stuff amusing or they're critics of the show calling the main plot silly. Either way, I really am enjoying the show, and it was MUCH better than I expected it to be (especially after the Fall 2006 Preview Guide, which basically told me it was awful and to stay the hell away from it).

By the way, heard a rumor about the series airing 50 episodes total, 25 from Fall 2006 to Spring 2007, and then taking a break, and coming back Fall 2007 for 25 more episodes. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
By the way, heard a rumor about the series airing 50 episodes total, 25 from Fall 2006 to Spring 2007, and then taking a break, and coming back Fall 2007 for 25 more episodes. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I've heard a rumor about this, as well. I heard it was from Moon Phase, which tends to be pretty reliable. However, there is no official information about this at this point in time.
NeoWorm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:06 am Reply with quote
Have anyone noticed resemblance between Geass and V for Vendetta?
coffee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote
NeoWorm wrote:
Have anyone noticed resemblance between Geass and V for Vendetta?

That's because they both have a common theme of anarchy and fighting against "the man", as well as the antagonists being British of origin. That's where the resemblance stops though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:54 am Reply with quote
This series is knocking my socks off in so many ways. If that 50-episode rumor is true I'm going to be in heaven.

Looking back at the Fall 2006 Anime Preview Guide... poor Carlo couldn't have been more wrong Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop. Of course it can be pretty difficult to judge a show based on 1 or 2 episodes. But still, why would you know you're in trouble when an anime character says "Nippon banzai"? Is it any more offensive than "God Save the Queen" or "God Bless America"?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
But still, why would you know you're in trouble when an anime character says "Nippon banzai"? Is it any more offensive than "God Save the Queen" or "God Bless America"?

One phrase: WW2. British or US soldiers rarely do suicidal attacks when situation becomes desperate; and if they do, they don't shout aforementioned slogans. From Guadalcanal to Okinawa, US soldiers had witnessed numerous occasions when Japanese soldiers made desperate bayonet charges (led by officers with willfully broken katana), shouting "Banzai!" while charging, only to be gunned down by Tommy or BAR. Consequently, in the eyes of Americans the word "banzai" has been linked with militaristic nationalism. Compared with "God Save the Queen" or "God Bless America", "Nippon Banzai" is more similar to "Viva La France".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
godakame

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I sort of dropped this series after the second episode. The coma-inducing inflammatory rhetoric and Britannia's imperialistic conquest of the entire world was a bit excessive. Then I saw some pics of Pizza Hut advertisements in the anime on some blogs, and checked out.

But from what everyone was saying about the anime, I gave it another chance. I'm glad I did. As I saw more and more episodes, the more I liked it. The Pizza Hut advertisements, while at first an annoyance, is now immensely amusing; I'm disappointed now if I don't see at least one advertisement in a single episode. Man I sure could go for some Pizza Hut and oranges right about now.

I've just caught up with episode 12 now and it seems nobody mentioned the little scene spoiler[where the student council girl with the glasses (forgot her name) masturbating to a picture of the Britannia princess (also forgot her name...), and right in front of nunally too Shocked . I foresee some awkward situations between glasses girl and princess girl in the near future. So far the creators have managed to throw in catgirls and lesbians into the mix. ]Code Geass is freaking awesome.
omar235

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:51 pm Reply with quote
godakame wrote:
I've just caught up with episode 12 now and it seems nobody mentioned the little scene spoiler[where the student council girl with the glasses (forgot her name) masturbating to a picture of the Britannia princess (also forgot her name...), and right in front of nunally too Shocked . I foresee some awkward situations between glasses girl and princess girl in the near future. So far the creators have managed to throw in catgirls and lesbians into the mix. ]Code Geass is freaking awesome.

You know for some reason (possibly my screen) that part was very dark and I couldn't tell what she was doing....I had an idea but just so I would sound perverted and asume and then end up wrong so I held my tongue to see if anyone else would bring it up. That girl with the glasses seems to be suffering from elevenphobia which annoyed me cause people like that get on my nerves but now they show her doing this...I am starting to love her more and more already Razz

Last edited by omar235 on Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:52 pm Reply with quote
It's not like spoiler[Nunally can actually see what Nina was doing on that table! Wink

In spite the fact that scene was rather hot, and Nina is really paranoid on Elevens (which makes me assume something devastating happened to her in the past), I'm really curious where that event will lead to.]
sykosteve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I for one thought she was cleaning something...but it was a dark scene >_>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 30