• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 12 Consoles Face Extreme Conditions to Find Which is the Toughest of Them All

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the-antihero

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
That's cool and all, but who on earth would allow such damage to come across their machines? I still have my PS2 and Gameboy and they work just fine and I'm not stupid enough to allow soda and crumbs into them. I do snack while I game, but I always have a napkin.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me of the times GamePro tested out multiple controllers, usually third-party, by dropping them, putting them in water, & even coating them in stuff like peanut butter to see which ones could take the most torture & still work just fine.

The only difference, however, is that those tests were done with readily-available products that were still in production & could be purchased again brand new. Doing this kind of stuff to consoles that are not for sale anymore, even if they aren't in working order, is ridiculous; at least the parts in them could still be used to fix other broken systems.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
The Dreamcast was built Ford tough. I thought the Genesis would be the console that survived.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
A Game Boy survived being bombed in Desert Storm. That is a solid console.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Too bad these folks are going to forever lose their SNES, Nintendo 64, GameBoy Color, GameCube, GameBoy Advance, and other discontinued consoles as a result of this test. However, it was pretty interesting, somewhat.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Yeah, any sort of video game system physical survival test will always remind me of that instance.

Not only did it survive being bombed, it was bomed in the first place because the soldier who owned that Game Boy dropped it and lost it, and it was found pretty recently and could still run Tetris (though nothing else, as the cartridge has become fused to the system).
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

Yeah, any sort of video game system physical survival test will always remind me of that instance.

Not only did it survive being bombed, it was bomed in the first place because the soldier who owned that Game Boy dropped it and lost it, and it was found pretty recently and could still run Tetris (though nothing else, as the cartridge has become fused to the system).

Another Gameboy managed to go up into space with a Soviet Cosmonaut and it still worked! Up in Space and when it returned! Now that's a strong system! I also saw that Desert Storm Gameboy in person. It's amazing!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Guess now we know for next time there's an earthquake or flood. Or if simply moving cross-country. Take extra care of your more fragile consoles.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Guess now we know for next time there's an earthquake or flood. Or if simply moving cross-country. Take extra care of your more fragile consoles.

But this does not answer the most pressing question, what modern console would survive an EMP attack? I for one, do not want to die out of boredom Anime hyper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

But this does not answer the most pressing question, what modern console would survive an EMP attack? I for one, do not want to die out of boredom Anime hyper

Nah what's more likely, someone breaking into your house just to drop your console 15 feet then pouring Mountain Dew on it or getting EMP'd? I think we all know the answer to this one ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:07 am Reply with quote
I still have every console I've ever owned (Sega Master System onwards) and most of them still work fine.

I did have one XBox 360 RRoD on me, I paid for a new heat sink, it worked for another year before RRoD'ing again, but, by that time, refurb XBox 360's had come down enough in price that I bit the bullet and bought one that has lasted me 4 years with no real problems.

Sadly, my Playstation 2 Slim, which I got for Christmas in 2005, is dying, and I think it's the laser. It will play okay for a while but then stops uploading from the disks, and even cleaning the laser with isopropyl alcohol only buys me maybe 15 more minutes of gameplay. Probably next month, I'm going to get a used PS2 Slim from a Microplay or if I can't find any there, I'll see what I can get online or on Kijiji because I have a huge library of PS2 games that I still play all the time.

The PS2 is still my most-played console because I'm a 40-year old man and "sixth-generation" 3D graphics still look fine to me; it's the generation of console where 3D graphics caught up with what I imagined video games would look like in "the future" back when I was in high school (when Hard Drivin's untextured polygon fill graphics were considered state-of-the-art). My heart's still with Dreamcast but most of the Dreamcast games I like best I have ports of on PS2 (not that I don't still sometimes play them on Dreamcast for a more "authentic" experience).

mangamuscle wrote:

But this does not answer the most pressing question, what modern console would survive an EMP attack? I for one, do not want to die out of boredom >_<

If you have advanced warning of an EMP attack, it's really not that difficult or expensive to make a makeshift Faraday Cage for your small electronics. Basically, wrap your electronics with a garbage bag, make sure there are a couple of layers of plastic over the electronic items, and then put it in a metal garbage can and make sure the lid is snug on top. Grounding the garbage can is optional, dunno if it would make any difference.

Of course, I seriously don't think any country could launch an EMP attack on the United States without it quickly escalating into a full-fledged nuclear war in which case the ability to continue to play your 3DS should be rather low on your list of things to worry about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:33 am Reply with quote
The most hard-boiled of systems!
nynextew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
This is... a really sloppy test. In order to properly do a damage test, wouldn't they have to test each console, by itself? I feel like the consoles got unwarranted drop damage from other consoles. I remember when I was younger watching this https://youtu.be/inXT-CPWoHk
It's not perfect, but it does each experiment separately
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:05 am Reply with quote
Wait, we don't get to see the ultimate decisive battle between PS3 and PS4? Sad

(And while I'm sure they appreciate the irony of the Dreamcast being the hardiest survivor...they skip from the Genesis to the Saturn, and the "Lost generation" of Philips CD-I vs. SegaCD is forgotten again.)
Blue21

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
That's cool and all, but who on earth would allow such damage to come across their machines?

I'm guessing these guys are rich.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2