• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, March 23-29

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Hollow Shrine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:11 am Reply with quote
Oh damn. That's low for ufotable. Fate/Zero did 43,000 in the first week. Mirai Fukuin sold 39,000 BDs.
And considering the amount of content they put into those BDs was equal to 16 normal episodes(10 normal + 3 double)...
Can't say they didn't deserve it, though. They basically lied about the additional scenes in the episodes, and the anime itself had many problems - storywise and animationwise. These sales just confirm this is not ufotable's best.
Detrimont

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:17 am Reply with quote
The Hollow Shrine wrote:
Oh damn. That's low for ufotable. Fate/Zero did 43,000 in the first week. Mirai Fukuin sold 39,000 BDs.
And considering the amount of content they put into those BDs was equal to 16 normal episodes(10 normal + 3 double)...
Can't say they didn't deserve it, though. They basically lied about the additional scenes in the episodes, and the anime itself had many problems - storywise and animationwise. These sales just confirm this is not ufotable's best.

Least this season doesn't have wondering eyes like Zero had(which were never even fixed in the BD release)
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:24 am Reply with quote
kancolle is doing extremely well but testament seems to be off to a slow start.
xikara

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:07 am Reply with quote
Shirobako staying above 10k is a pleasant surprise. It really deserves it.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:09 am Reply with quote
Well, at least UBW is over 30k.

Damn it DRRR!!
Nayre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:51 am Reply with quote
The Hollow Shrine wrote:

Probably but that is japan. Ufotable aim more in their western release success, the same with fate/zero.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:27 am Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:

I kind of expected to be a juggernaut contender and be on par with Unlimited Blade Works' numbers of sold given the fanbase.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Zoneflare wrote:

I kind of expected to be a juggernaut contender and be on par with Unlimited Blade Works' numbers of sold given the fanbase.

From what i've heard from the fans, they do not like the adaptation.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:08 am Reply with quote
Given the runaway popularity of Kan Colle, one would expect it to sell much more. It's almost like an invitation to print money. Would've taken such a stumble to miss that boat. /pun
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Zoneflare wrote:

From what i've heard from the fans, they do not like the adaptation.

kind of funny considering the sales Razz
Mathias2001

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, VN Fate Fans are generally {No swearing at the fanbase. ~nobahn} I seen in my life. I don't like to swear much but they just are. I mean, what fanbase would argue about Shirou's tripping on a rock and how that ruined his character and the series for eight fricken pages. The only real changes are switching the place where someone was at one scene, better animation, better pacing, no long and boring exposition dump, cut of Shirou's monologues which is the only real problem, added scenes and a bit more Saber being a punching bag , different costumes, better art, no uncomfortable scenes(Saber Lily Exploitation), more exciting, better action scenes, better openings(My opinion), soundtrack being not as good.

In the end 2014 may not follow the novel word by word which is what thw whiny fans want, but it tries to be different and better which is what it achieves.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to see the figures:

Quote:
The Animelo Summer Live 2014 -Oneness- 8.31 concert Blu-ray Disc sold 9,189 copies to debut at #6 on the overall Blu-ray Disc chart. Animelo Summer Live 2014 -Oneness- 8.30 also debuted at #10 with 6,465 copies, and Animelo Summer Live 2014 -Oneness- 8.29 was #11 with 6,409.

Each of those 2-disc volumes went for 7727 yen on amazon.co.jp or 8800 yen on cdjapan.co.jp, and the first press copies included a coupon to go in the first ticket lottery for Animelo Summer Live 2015 (not a bad idea, as getting tickets can be difficult).

Compare that with the 27,000 attendance at each day's shows.
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:09 am Reply with quote
The Hollow Shrine wrote:

For the record, Ufotable's only successes are shows/films based off of Type Moon franchises. Their biggest success arguably does not count for this comparison since it's a collection of movies. Mirai Fukuin is a movie, so comparisons are pretty moot.

Secondly, whilst the number is considerably lower than Fate/Zero, the sales are still considerably higher than the average anime. Considering that UBW has sold 34k so far, we can expect another 25-30k at least, which puts it at a 29.5K-32k average. Still higher than the bulk of modern anime. Oh, did I mention this cost around $400? That's at least $12 million or 1.4 billion yen. That's significantly higher than the production budget of the average anime. Even Eureka Seven's insane 1.2 billion yen budget would be covered and then some by the amount of money made by sales. It's not really a profit for ufotable, since it's pretty low in the production committee, BUT it is a pretty solid profit for Notes/Type Moon and Aniplex.

Thirdly, the animation was objectively superior to even Fate/Zero's, considering the planning(we got confirmation of this in late 2013 and it premiered in September/October 2014) and superior budget and there were no noticeable animation errors or off model character design. It seems as if ufotable did the majority of the work, unlike other anime companies and since I've heard that Fate/Zero II was rushed, it certainly is superior. I'd estimate a 25-40 million yen per episode budget, compared to the estimated 25-35 million budget for F/Z(this is just an estimate from me, not Aniplex)

Also, sales=/=quality or DEEN's FSN would be a solid anime. 22k average, anyone? Or Evangelion. 120k first average and a 170k overall average.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1