• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Plastic Memories

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ergo Proxy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
wasted potential
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Plastic Memories is less Time of Eve and more Clannad.

Which works fine for me; I hated Time of Eve. Unoriginal concepts presented with complete lifelessness.

Plastic Memories would have been more efficient without all the inane comedy, but there's something almost meta-meaningful about the way the ending makes you forget all that, momentarily, and wish it could have continued regardless. Real life is full of dumb and annoying things, but people stick with it for the moments that matter.

I fully expect people to complain endlessly about its imperfections and "wasted potential," though.
NormanS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
The thing i want to mention is how much i enjoyed Isla's facial expressions throughout the series, and the changes in the opening animation. Dogakobo puts quite the effort in their character's facial expressions.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
That last episode hit me hard Crying or Very sad .
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I felt like the episode was lacking in some kind of catharsis. We've already established that Tsukasa is the son of some kind of head honcho within the Terminal Service business, yet he (so far) does nothing to ensure Ilsa's legacy of aftercare as a more widespread thing?

Meh, as well done as this episode was, it just felt odd to me that nothing came of Isla's death. :/
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Personally, I felt like the episode was lacking in some kind of catharsis. We've already established that Tsukasa is the son of some kind of head honcho within the Terminal Service business, yet he (so far) does nothing to ensure Ilsa's legacy of aftercare as a more widespread thing?

Meh, as well done as this episode was, it just felt odd to me that nothing came of Isla's death. :/

He's the son of a friend of one of the head honcho's. His dad isn't actually one of the higher ups.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
But that still makes Tsukasa's dad an influential figure within the company. It just felt weird that the show mentioned Isla's policies in the same breath as budget issues, and yet the one guy who's in a position to make some changes about that just does nothing. I don't need Tsukasa to overhaul the system, but I don't think it's far fetched to think he'd take some small steps towards preserving Isla's legacy.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:34 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I don't need Tsukasa to overhaul the system, but I don't think it's far fetched to think he'd take some small steps towards preserving Isla's legacy.

Maybe he did. We know he went off for "training" at another branch, but maybe he was the one doing the training instead of being trained? Either way, he could have passed on her ideas to others in the company during that time. I think it's at least open to that thought. Smile

NormanS wrote:
The thing i want to mention is how much i enjoyed Isla's facial expressions

One thing that always bugged me throughout the series was how the eyes were drawn. Every time there was a closeup of someone's face, regardless of their state of mind all I could see was happy little clown faces in their eyes.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
But that still makes Tsukasa's dad an influential figure within the company. It just felt weird that the show mentioned Isla's policies in the same breath as budget issues, and yet the one guy who's in a position to make some changes about that just does nothing. I don't need Tsukasa to overhaul the system, but I don't think it's far fetched to think he'd take some small steps towards preserving Isla's legacy.

I agree it would have been nice if they could touch on that aspect. But do we even know if his dad is a part of the company? Just because he's friends with one of the higher ups doesn't mean he's actually employed by the same company.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:08 am Reply with quote
this was a pleasant end to the series, i mean it wasnt a great series but it was far from terrible id give it an overall rating of 7.5, the comedy was... very entertaining but terribly misplaced.

If this were a darker series i'd say theres its a conspiracy that giftias have a lifespan and in fact they were originally immortal but the creators decided to 'hard code' a lifespan and engineer their memories and functions to degrade over time to prevent the possibility of giftias going rogue and conquering humans. Sadly there wasnt much or barely any discussion on how exactly giftias are 'made' and the process of making personalities etc. so my theory sadly holds no ground. Id say the exclusion of that part of the series and the extremely small part of the illegal giftia stealing guys irked me.

The way the terminal service operated before Isla had them change their methods also struck me as incredibly foolish. I mean your company is in the business of gifting people (artificial) humans and yet when the time runs out you have them retrieve them without taking the owners circumstances into consideration? They much have one hell of a good advertising team and a solid grasp on what gets out to the media.

Oh well it was a good run, ill just have to wait for the psycho-pass movie if i want a dark, borderline depressing but well told story
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
Ergo Proxy wrote:
wasted potential

Since you're new here let me explain something. We generally speaking require a bit more to a post than this. Simply saying that in no way helps promote discussion or lets us know why you feel that way. Why is it wasted potential in your opinion? You're certainly welcomed to think that way, but moving forward in the future you will need to provide more than simply this for discussing a show. Thank you.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Came here to see how the show ended. I don't feel so bad about dropping it, but it seems that the show did improve in its emotional resonance at the end, even if the sci-fi concepts were never properly developed.

residentgrigo wrote:
Wow.We got the Chuck ending Rolling Eyes

What's Chuck?
residentgrigo wrote:
I am off to try out AMC´s Humans and more importantly the original show Äkta människor and i am not sure that i will remember most of PM in even a month.
(I greatly dislike the original Eroge for FSN so i watched zero seconds of that one.)

I saw the first episode of Humans on Sunday night, and it was excellent. My first thought was how it compared to Plastic Memories and Time of Eve. It goes a lot further than both in its concept of humans living with robots and robots developing a sense of self. Its more like ToE than PM, but much darker and tense in tone. I really like it so far and recommend it to fans of either series.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:29 am Reply with quote
Chuck was an NBC show that had a final story-arc about amnesia and cut to black before we got to see if a true love´s kiss can solve all and give back lost memories. PM decided to call it quits just before that but a reunion is 100% promised and the "new" worker isn´t´ so new. The diary exist too so the problem will self itself... Again and again i guess.

Ep 1-3 of Humans were of high quality and once again proved to me that PM didn't even try to be a sci-fi show but enough about that.
I would suggest the board to try out the "very good" Real Drive form IG that none apparently watched but it also went over the themes of PM and actually bothered to address them long form.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 14 of 14