• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2015 Ghost in the Shell Film's Theatrical Preview Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:02 am Reply with quote
1:03 What are those called, the papers with the animation frames?
Yadilie

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:16 am Reply with quote
Key frames.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:37 am Reply with quote
Oh whew--I thought, "They can't have finished that Scarlett Johanson thing already!"
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:26 am Reply with quote
I sound dumb, but what is the plot of the movie?

I don't know if their trying recreate the ending of the original volume of the manga. Which as far I know hasn't been done yet.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
Is it me, or does the linework look a little too thin?

I understand that's perfectly possible with all-digital anime, but, I dunno, it just looks a little off Confused
anddo

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
I sound dumb, but what is the plot of the movie?

I don't know if their trying recreate the ending of the original volume of the manga. Which as far I know hasn't been done yet.

"Set after the events of Arise, the film involves the assassination of the Prime Minister of Japan which is publicly described as the "greatest event since the war". It is up to Public Security Section 9, lead by Major Motoko Kusanagi, to discover the true nature of the murder. They are aided by the Prime Minster's son, Osamu Fujimoto."

So basically it's the finale to Arise. Also the manga is done, Shirow completed it at three volumes (The Ghost in the Shell, Man-Machine Interface and Human Error Processor).
Martin G.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Wow, all the people responsible for the failure of GITS ARISE are back! It's a bit difficult getting excited for another badly constructed, convoluted script, sterile visuals, generic designs and a boring soundtrack.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:26 pm Reply with quote
This should turn out to be the best anime movie of this year if the team will stay on point and why shouldn´t they. Slow clap IG but can Ghost in the Shell Arise - Nemuranai Me no Otoko Sleepless Eye (9,5/10) finally leave Japan as it is the best part of Arise and canon.

Arise is 4th version of the tale and is once again removed form the 89 manga and only adapts and improves on certain scenes. I would be surprise if this is the end as this is GitS Begins after all and all involved are highly motivated to work on the franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Martin G. wrote:
Wow, all the people responsible for the failure of GITS ARISE are back! It's a bit difficult getting excited for another badly constructed, convoluted script, sterile visuals, generic designs and a boring soundtrack.

oh wow I didn't get around to Arise, it's sad hearing it failed Sad
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
Martin G. wrote:

Arise is fine. It's about the same as Stand Alone Complex, but that's why people haven't been getting into it: it doesn't really add anything new to the GitS franchise that wasn't already done in SAC. It's more of the same, and while that same is still good, it's just not as groundbreaking anymore.

SAC might be a bit better, writing-wise, but Arise is pretty good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
anddo

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:

It didn't, it sold well (despite fan opinion). Why do you think we're getting a film?
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Anddo wrote:
Lostlorn Forest wrote:

It didn't, it sold well (despite fan opinion). Why do you think we're getting a film?

Oh, good point
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Arise is fine. It's about the same as Stand Alone Complex, but that's why people haven't been getting into it: it doesn't really add anything new to the GitS franchise that wasn't already done in SAC. It's more of the same, and while that same is still good, it's just not as groundbreaking anymore.

SAC might be a bit better, writing-wise, but Arise is pretty good.

Seconding this. It's quite good.

Pretty much the same opinion here, I quite liked it too (other than the third OVA which I thought was weakest) even though it's not as good as SAC. It's good stuff.

The one criticism that I guess I kind of agree with though, that I think Arise could have done better, is the inconsistent somewhat forgettable soundtrack, with more or less a handful of cool tracks, which is a bit disappointing following legends like Yoko Kanno and Kenji Kawai and their work.

Can't wait for the movie. Smile
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:20 am Reply with quote
This looks soooo cool. Too bad I haven't seen Arise yet. I should probably get on that if I want to check this out when it releases. Although I am a bit wary that it'll leave a bad taste in my mouth, as I've heard Arise occupies the lower spectrum of GitS quality wise. I just don't want to get my hopes up too much for a film that might not even be all that good. Before reading this I actually wasn't aware that it was a continuation, I was previously under the impression that it was another reboot.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:27 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Oh whew--I thought, "They can't have finished that Scarlett Johanson thing already!"
Ditto. Like the art direction in Arise, the live action movie is gonna suck.

This preview, there is something about Arise that is repulsive. I want more GITS, arise is not it. I grabbed the dub rips, I still can't bring myself to finish it. Its so mediocre. It's not the GITS I know and love.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2