• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dark Souls III Announced With Trailer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The soul still burns!
Wait wrong game...
I could live with a slowdown of releases in the series after game 3 (read as 5) as the Souls is never getting time off thanks to the (quality) DLC.

I am a Berserker though too so let´s be honest i will be getting off this train any time soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
This franchise just loves to take people's expectations of having a reasonably-playable game and crushes them under a 1-ton rock Laughing

Last edited by Hameyadea on Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Dark Souls 3 is the final Dark Souls game.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
@KH91. Yep. But don´t you worry Bloodborne 2 (so part 6) can only be next Cool. Demon's Souls is the only one i consider "hard" and here is my amazon/Imdb review of "part 4":

Thank Nyarlathotep for the game (9/10)
I beat Bloodborne after 30 hours with a level of 109 (i got the "give in" and the "true" final boss ending as i backed up my save) and have most of the trophies as i did all the secrets but the chalice dungeon final boss / rune as these dungeons are a good idea but they are too generic as of now. I messed around with co-op a bit (this is how you get invaded too) but i power-leveled so hard that i had trouble to get partners later so i did the heavy duty myself and kind of broke the game. Most of my later deaths came form cheap (back) attacks and from falling off stuff... Ludwig's Holy Blade is THE weapon of choice and guns are garbage but i am glad that magic went as that was borderline cheating earlier. This is overall the easiest of the 4 but the later secret areas are too hard to trigger at times without a guide and it is also pretty easy to loose the critical path during the first half. The game design is also heavily streamlined and blocking is a thing of the past so my Ninja Gaiden reflexes did double duty. Overall the best one after Dark Souls 1 so join the Esoteric Order of Dagon today! Lovecraft literacy helps btw. but the story is way too hidden this time so watch Bloodborne Lore - The Story on youtube after finishing to even get the basics and i would love to play a big budget Armored Core next.

Dat Doom 4 demo was the shit btw and i love watching E3 live and have been since 2006.
Go video games!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Dark Souls anime when?
Via_01

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I could live with a slowdown of releases in the series after game 3 (read as 5) as the Souls is never getting time off thanks to the (quality) DLC.

I am a Berserker though too so let´s be honest i will be getting off this train any time soon.

I've always seen Dark Souls as the Berserk game we never got. Hell, it's pretty hard to ignore the similarities between Artorias and Guts (Miyazaki even confirmed that the iconic Artorias pose with his sword is based on Guts').

Anyhow, this looks promising.
LokiReed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Another Dark Souls? Yesh.
Bonham

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:41 pm Reply with quote
So it'll end as a trilogy with Miyazaki back. I'm more than fine with that. I like Dark Souls 2 a lot (just finished the Scholar of the First Sin edition), but also missed his level design and storytelling (and more consistent hitboxes and enemy tracking, but I dunno if he has any relation to that). Only concerned is him doing this so closely to Bloodborne, in addition to whatever DLC is coming out, but I'm confident he can handle it.

It'll be interesting to see what tone they go for. Dark Souls is pretty much experiencing an era in its twilight age... some kind of twisted mono no aware, I suppose. DsII awkwardly extends it; it feels very much like a sequel suffering under the weight of the previous games, rather than the new staff branching out. This is pretty apocalyptic though. If it's closer to atmosphere of dread that Demon's Souls and Bloodborne have, I'm all for it.

residentgrigo wrote:
guns are garbage

Evelyn, Repeater Pistol and the Cannon can hit ridiculously hard. Even so, guns aren't so much for creating damage as they are for parries and interrupting enemies/other players.

I would actually say finding the "secret areas" is waaaaaay easier than the nonsense you had to go through for the DLC in Dark Souls. Didn't have to look up a guide for them, and they all flowed relatively naturally from the main thrust of the game (Cainhurst involving a bit of backtracking, admittedly). Also undecided on on its overall difficulty. The combat and level design are by far my favorite in the entire series of games, and nothing ever feels unfair (well, aside from the hitbox on Ebrietas's charge). Take away the sheer mobs of enemies in DkS2, and I have trouble saying that either of the two DkS are more difficult than Bloodborne... though I do agree that Demon's Souls is still the most difficult of the four.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1