• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Love Live! The School Idol Movie's U.S. Theater List Revealed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:33 am Reply with quote
OK, cue everyone complaining about it not being in their town ("where's the Grand Rapids showing, waaaaahh!"), but objectively there are some startling oversights on this list: no showings in Chicago, Atlanta, or the entire state of Florida for starters.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:02 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
OK, cue everyone complaining about it not being in their town ("where's the Grand Rapids showing, waaaaahh!"), but objectively there are some startling oversights on this list: no showings in Chicago, Atlanta, or the entire state of Florida for starters.

Why shouldnt people be upset? I mean anime features being shown in US theaters are very rare plus I read that there will be giveaways to those who attend. I really want to know how they went about deciding on the locations that they did.
ajtpak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:09 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

I'm really surprised they wouldn't do a showing in Tampa, Orlando, and/or Miami, let alone the entire state of FL. Well, guess I'm going to have to wait until a dvd release or something to see it.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:50 am Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
Why shouldnt people be upset? I mean anime features being shown in US theaters are very rare plus I read that there will be giveaways to those who attend.

Well, you've sort of answered your own question, right? Because they're so rare, you have to understand that they'll only be in a handful of cities, usually the really big ones. Any given anime title is a niche within a niche, so you might need 5 million people within driving distance to fill a 200-seat theater for one showing of something like Love Live!

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have this closer to home too. I had to go to Kalamazoo (60 miles each way) for Anohana, and to Detroit (120 miles) for Madoka Magica: Rebellion and Expelled from Paradise. My metro area is about a million people, but the theaters here are weird about anime -- they'll book Ghibli films for weeks (When Marnie Was There currently has two shows a day at Woodland, and The Tale of Princess Kaguya ran for a month), but nothing else.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:53 am Reply with quote
Well, you gotta request those theaters play these films. And the Ghibli stuff is a lot more mainstream than the other anime pics in questions. Well, besides the occasional Dragon Ball or Naruto spin-offs, of course.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:42 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Well, you gotta request those theaters play these films. And the Ghibli stuff is a lot more mainstream than the other anime pics in questions. Well, besides the occasional Dragon Ball or Naruto spin-offs, of course.

But this list isn't the result of any requests - it sprang fully-formed from Love Live!'s distributor. Of course, any additions to the list might well be the result of fan requests. But those don't necessarily work: I tweeted back and forth with my local chain about either Anohana or Rebellion (sorry, I forget which) and they said they were told by the distributor they couldn't have it.

It's also interesting to see some familiar names on this list. I'm pretty sure the Brattle in Boston is where Mike Toole always talks about going to these showings, and The Maple Theater in suburban Detroit is where I've been going. It might be that these theaters have found they've got a loyal crowd for their anime nights.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Of course, any additions to the list might well be the result of fan requests. But those don't necessarily work: I tweeted back and forth with my local chain about either Anohana or Rebellion (sorry, I forget which) and they said they were told by the distributor they couldn't have it.

Confused Really? That doesn't sound right at all. Every distributor I've talked to has expressed interest in getting their anime films in as many theaters as possible. The only way I can see a distributor turning a venue away is if the venue is telling them that they have to rent the room out-right for a price that is unreasonable. It sounds to me like your local theater is either bullshitting you or has unrealistic expectations and demands for the showing.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:52 am Reply with quote
Well, I already pre-ordered my ticket for D.C. Although, I had never heard of the Angelika Pop-Up before (I'm used to the Landmark on E ST being picked) so I'll have to try to ride out there for practice.

Quote:
Azoland Pictures noted that the screening will have "exclusive bonus footage," and there will be items given away at the screenings.

*sigh* Must LA get all the cool stuff? I want some Love Live! merch too. Anime cry

Also, is it really possible for a local 'small' theater to refuse showings? Is the hassle with getting a foreign film problematic even if it's just for a few days?
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
This list is so odd. Thwo of the three Texas showings are at the Alamo, but there's one at a different theater instead of their Dallas location. There's gaps in some fairly obvious markets, even if they're factoring in willingness of fans to drive. Did they get a limited number of copies to distribute and force the theaters to bid for them or something?
SpeckTech

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Well I'll be going to the one in Fairfax, VA since it's right outside my college :DDD Now I don't have to take a day trip to D.C.

But really, it's so odd seeing something like this in non major cities...
wastrel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I've always assumed that the few anime movies that actually get theater scheduling here in the U.S. are the dubbed versions. But is this actually correct? Specifically, I assume the Love Live movie that will be shown is dubbed... ?
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I'll have KC barbecue, gambling, and Love Live not to mention not having to go all the way to Texas to see it.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
wastrel wrote:
I've always assumed that the few anime movies that actually get theater scheduling here in the U.S. are the dubbed versions. But is this actually correct? Specifically, I assume the Love Live movie that will be shown is dubbed... ?
Madoka Magica was shown subbed-only. Smaller theater chains already shown plenty of subtitled movies on limited releases, so this is nothing new to them.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
wastrel wrote:

I Am almost completely sure it will not be in English Dub, because, they`re uploading English Subtitled trailers and I don`t think the movie is being dubbed at the moment.

But, that is a good point.

I Believe, the English Subtitle trailer was released completely knowing that this film is going to be only subbed.

And, I'm ready to see this film!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:

I really want to know how they went about deciding on the locations that they did.

Places that are into idols / musically-inclined?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2