• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Community Opinion: Skin NSFW or not

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

NSFW?
Yes, NSFW!
77%
 77%  [ 17 ]
No, not NSFW!
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 22

Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Do you feel that this skin should be rated "NSFW" ?
This image would be in the left gutter.

There is a poll, but I would like to read actual thoughts s well.

-t
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:33 pm Reply with quote
So I voted no; not because I personally found the image revolting, but because one must be conservative/cautious in the workplace.

My $0.02.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:18 am Reply with quote
The whole idea of "safe for work" vs "not safe for work" is not the same as PG vs PG-13. The latter is about the rating it has, and the appropriateness based on age. The former is about what one may or may not get in trouble for at work.

When considering if an image is safe or unsafe for work, one must first consider what "safe" means. Not only on suitability for said workplace, but also of what ones associates will think.

For suitability, there are a number of factors to consider; Will it offend someone who happens to see it as they walk by? Will it make someone uncomfortable? Is it something that can get you into trouble?

For what people may think, there's always a subjectivity level (after all, if they see you on a "cartoon" website, they may think lower of your maturity level anyway).

In this case, while there is nothing showing, you have to look at the implications in place. A woman is showing much cleavage, holding a whip. It implies that there is, will be, or may be something sexual going on. Clearly, as with anything sexual in nature, it could offend or make someone uncomfortable.

Furthermore, with what people may think, especially if it is a male employee viewing this, and a female employee noticing it, there's also that this could be seen as a sexist image, objectifying certain aspects of a female body. Should the office be set up in a way where a female employee cannot help but notice it, even if out of the corner of her eye, repeatedly viewing the site could be construed as sexual harassment.

Therefore, if the image is inappropriate in these ways, than it is not "safe" for work, as someone could get in trouble for it causing a hostile work environment.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
NSFW.

I've seen underwear ads with more skin on the sides of buses, but seeing them on the street is very different from seeing them on a workplace computer screen.

And I just realized that I voted the wrong option (facepalm).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:39 am Reply with quote
Tempest--

Reviewing this thread, I see that I misunderstood the yes/no options Embarassed. Therefore, please scratch my "no" vote and make it "yes".
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
NSFW.

I've seen underwear ads with more skin on the sides of buses, but seeing them on the street is very different from seeing them on a workplace computer screen.

And I just realized that I voted the wrong option (facepalm).

My thoughts exactly. Personally I don't mind it myself (had to log out and then log back in and allow the skin to see it) or find it above a PG-13 rating. But, I know in a work environment it would get some heads turned or get me possibly talked to at my job should someone see it on my tablet. I know if I still worked for a bank it would most assuredly be not welcomed. Again though, I personally don't mind it. But I am a dirty old man trapped in a young man's body.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:18 am Reply with quote
I think it's NSFW. I wouldn't want anyone looking over my shoulder in a workplace and seeing that. Heaven knows enough people think anime is either hentai or Pokemon anyway.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I voted "yes, not", not "no, not not".
I'd prefer this not come up in work, and would probably right click and block (the reason I have Adblock installed in work, with no preset rules).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:49 am Reply with quote
Oh come on people, it isn't any worse than what we've seen on the site previously.

The Queen's Blade skin was pretty racy and showing huge amounts of flesh on display, as you'd expect given that franchise. If that doesn't convince you, anyone remember the Zvezda skin that had a young girl showing huge amounts of loli cleavage? If something that potentially controversial is okay then a grown woman (or a character who at least looks like one) should also be okay.

Plus there are plenty of avatars out there that are a bit racy or revealing and they don't get censored. I myself had for a while an avatar of a couple lying in bed in afterglow, and plenty of other people have used avatars with women who are either nude or wearing very skimpy costumes.

What I'm wondering is why this is suddenly an issue when there have been such images on the site for as long as I can remember.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:44 am Reply with quote
@dtm42
There is a provision* for turning off PG 13 ad skins for those who come here from work. This allows them to avoid those that are NSFW. The question was if this specific skin should be so tagged. It would still show for everyone else.

*Click on your forum name on the far right of the navigation bar. The setting is there.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention in the case of avatars they are quite smaller and would not draw the attention a skin would. As far as other skins are concerned if this was asked of them in the past I'd have said the same thing then.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to have to say it's not safe for work. Meiko's revealing outfit, combined with her bust size, would really put someone in the hot seat if the image was spotted.
Giolon
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I know it already ran, since I saw it at home, but I'm voting NSFW. Big giant boobs, plunging cleavage line, focus clearly on the exposed chest - that's the type of stuff that would get me in trouble at work. Dessa's post goes into very great detail as to why.

It's not about any individual person here being prudish or what the visitors of the site think is appropriate or not, it's about what other people in a work environment think when they see someone visiting the site.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
After reading the initial replies and votes, we ran it as an NSFW/PG13 skin.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1