• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Group Therapy

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foxaika

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I love K-ON! a lot. I don't recall there being an episode that I disliked really. I didn't buy it awhile back, perhaps I will pick it up while I can now.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see the return of the Fairy Tail Dub, I've listen to this batch and it's really good.
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You start to wonder if it's really necessary for Mio to trip and flash her underwear to the crowd after the group's first concert
Should probably make it clear that though the crowd (at the concert) does, but the audience (us) don't actually see her underwear. The point is still valid, but it's a noteworthy distinction.

I think this release, unlike Bandai's individual volumes, has lossless audio. Not sure if the video takes a hit or not.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If becoming a god's special someone sounds like a fun fantasy, then this might be worth checking out. If not, skip. Beyond that, my main complaint is that the Pegasus doesn't turn into a human as a love interest during the secret seventh route. That should happen in all of these now, right?

As sad as I now am that the pegasus doesn't have a route, at least the talking doll gets to be the secret seventh route in the new game? xD
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
About K-On! the review said
Quote:
the series is carefully and deliberately tailored to appeal to otaku sensibilities. ... You start to wonder if it's really necessary for Mio to trip and flash her underwear to the crowd after the group's first concert

There are two things that I want to mention about that.
First, while Mio does flash the fictional crowd in the show she does not flash the audience that is watching the anime. If that was done just to appeal to the otaku sensibilities then why did the otaku not get to see her panties?
In the manga she did flash the reader. We saw not only her panties but also a distinct camel toe. The anime toned it down, a lot.

Second, it was necessary for that to happen in order to keep Mio's stage fright and general shyness intact, because that is an integral part of her character, and fodder for many gags.
If she had not accidentally flashed the audience she would have gained too much confidence.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Kamigami no Asobi. I enjoyed you more than I was ever supposed to.

I gave that one my "banana award" for that season - an anime that was so bad it's great. Seriously, there was several times during my watch through where I just burst out laughing. The flowers appearing behind the boys when they were introduced. The entire school play episode. As someone who enjoys fluffy reverse-harem stuff, I found the series hilarious.

So yes. Thank you KnA for the laughs and cheese.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

Second, it was necessary for that to happen in order to keep Mio's stage fright and general shyness intact, because that is an integral part of her character, and fodder for many gags.
If she had not accidentally flashed the audience she would have gained too much confidence.

But a LOT can go wrong on stage during a live performance. There are probably several other possible things that could've happened that were less salacious but still embarrassing.
AholePony

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Funny that K-On had a new release, I just finished watching the entire series for the 5th time this past weekend. I do agree with the reviewer in that it defies explanation. The most I can offer is that for me, that group of girls' high school experience reminds me of my own. Those care free days when your parents paid to keep you alive and the "real world" hadn't yet corrupted my worldview Smile .
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's the anime equivalent of required reading

Blurg...really? Well, to each their own. I don't see K-On as a required anything.
Araki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Do these new Fairy Tail episodes have changes compared to the tv version? Because they seriously needed it.

Ali07 wrote:
Quote:

Blurg...really? Well, to each their own. I don't see K-On as a required anything.

Lol, yeah. Since when did K-On become the 2000s equivalent of Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion or whatever? It's far from being something the average anime fan should check out.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:

Ali07 wrote:
Quote:

Lol, yeah. Since when did K-On become the 2000s equivalent of Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion or whatever? It's far from being something the average anime fan should check out.

I took it as meaning that it's the benchmark for the kind of show it is. I suppose that's subjective as well, but that's how I interpreted it.

Edit: Maybe a better way to put it is "if you're going to watch this kind of show, this is the one to watch".
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I took it as Paul meaning you should watch it at least for the sake of academic purposes. Sort of, "You should probably check out an episode or two of this if only because it was a big thing at the time and you're interested in getting a perspective of the period."
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
that'd be azumanga daioh; though I udnerstand it in a "this is the most popular show of it's type even fi it's not the best, also the most representative, so watch this one"

varmintx wrote:
Quote:
You start to wonder if it's really necessary for Mio to trip and flash her underwear to the crowd after the group's first concert
Should probably make it clear that though the crowd (at the concert) does, but the audience (us) don't actually see her underwear. The point is still valid, but it's a noteworthy distinction.

we see her underwear, it's just a very extreme close up of the fabric so it's not sexy at all (for most people, I bet a decent amount of people still find that close up sexy).

AholePony wrote:
Funny that K-On had a new release, I just finished watching the entire series for the 5th time this past weekend. I do agree with the reviewer in that it defies explanation. The most I can offer is that for me, that group of girls' high school experience reminds me of my own. Those care free days when your parents paid to keep you alive and the "real world" hadn't yet corrupted my worldview Smile .

I understand your feelings, and for me it's pretty much the same thing, except that for me, instead of rewatching k-on I just pickup whichever show is similar this season and usually watch them after work (aka, no watching during the weekends unless I work on the weekend); I have been done that since I read those are published in seinen magazines and are usually read by business men in the train back home after work so I wantd to replicate the experience.
lemurs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Mio tripping and embarrassing herself (punctuated by the camera flash and closeup of the striped... teacup) is never not funny. K-On has a lot of sight gags, but very little actual fanservice.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:

we see her underwear, it's just a very extreme close up of the fabric so it's not sexy at all (for most people, I bet a decent amount of people still find that close up sexy).

I don't recall seeing her underwear in the show. I know you do in the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4