• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rie Tanaka Returns to Twitter 2 Years After Attack at Event

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:33 am Reply with quote
it's a good thing that they only have to worry about knives in japan

personally, i believe every woman will benefit from a self defense course. It's best to know how to defend yourself in time of need...given the amount of freaks out there..

at least learned self defense and carry taser or pepper spray
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:41 am Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
personally, i believe every woman will benefit from a self defense course. It's best to know how to defend yourself in time of need...given the amount of freaks out there..

Agreed, but I think it should not be such a limited approach. It is a two way street after all.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:35 am Reply with quote
Well, congrats to returning to Twitter but be careful.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:48 am Reply with quote
I'm satisfied that Ms. Tanaka-san is returning to the spotlight after that horrific moment. Here's hoping that she had a warm welcome upon her return.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
So glad! It must be tough staying connected to complete strangers online (true, loyal fans that they may be) after one lunatic decides to go after her like that.

I'll be sending my thanks and encouragement - hopefully my translations can reach her Smile
Banjo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:26 am Reply with quote
Japanese women need twitter, glad she is getting back there and hoping for the best for her. Cool
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

However, I recall that tasers and pepper spray aren't legal in Japan. The self defense lessons are needed though.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I must have somehow missed that 2013 incident because I didn't realize that had happened to her.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

However, I recall that tasers and pepper spray aren't legal in Japan. The self defense lessons are needed though.

taser and pepper spray are illegal in japan?

really? wow..

Rolling Eyes what else can you use for self defense that is legal in japan ?

well.. i guess next down would using knife too then

if they want they can strap a small hidden knife in their inner thigh or the back of their bra strap.. etc..

but weapons are useless if you don't know how to use it
Ninjajake12

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

taser and pepper spray are illegal in japan?

really? wow..

Rolling Eyes what else can you use for self defense that is legal in japan ?

well.. i guess next down would using knife too then

if they want they can strap a small hidden knife in their inner thigh or the back of their bra strap.. etc..

but weapons are useless if you don't know how to use it

Learning Aikido and Karate is a good start. Also, having more protection/guards for these people at events would be preferable. She was probably lucky to only come away with a bruise, though it must have been psychologically terrifying. I don't think carrying their own knife would really make a difference, because they'd have to be pretty tough to stand tall and face a psycho head-on and actually stab him. Even I'd have trouble using a knife to protect myself (unless adrenaline/panic settled in).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, carrying a meat cleaver around can still scare these psychos good.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

However, I recall that tasers and pepper spray aren't legal in Japan.

Stun guns, tasers, and pepper spray aren't illegal in Japan.

• When Yamada tried to drive away, police stopped him and asked him to accompany them to the police station. Officers found a stun gun, handcuffs and a syringe in the vehicle, Fuji TV reported.

Police said Yamada tested negative for drugs. He told them the stun gun, which had no batteries, was for self-defense and that the handcuffs were just a gag item.

After three hours, police released Yamada and requested that he leave the stun gun and handcuffs but Yamada refused.

• I have no issue with things such as pepper spray as some of my female students carry police strength pepper spray, which they buy from Amazon Japan, as a result of personal incidents they've had. However, they also sell stun guns on Amazon Japan, and in my opinion they are more offensive than defensive.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:25 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

However, I recall that tasers and pepper spray aren't legal in Japan.

Stun guns, tasers, and pepper spray aren't illegal in Japan.

ok... it's back on the table then

stun gun can be bulky and expensive.

so mace or pepper spray might be best + self defense class.. they have ones about the size of a key or smaller.. good for about 5 sprays,, with the distance of 5-10ft

it's a good alternative for those who do not like weapons.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:41 am Reply with quote
Ninjajake12 wrote:

Learning Aikido and Karate is a good start. Also, having more protection/guards for these people at events would be preferable. She was probably lucky to only come away with a bruise, though it must have been psychologically terrifying. I don't think carrying their own knife would really make a difference, because they'd have to be pretty tough to stand tall and face a psycho head-on and actually stab him. Even I'd have trouble using a knife to protect myself (unless adrenaline/panic settled in).

true

a weapon is only effective if its user knows how to use it

a self defense class will help a person take control of their fight or flight or freeze response which will be helpful in these fearful situations better + they might learn to disarm an attacker holding a knife Wink

Kenichi comes to mind anime#6864
americananimotk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Is it nice or shameful to see there are kill crazy kooks looking for infamy in every country other then here in the States? Here in the U.S. we have gun nuts as opposed to knife nuts in Japan. It seems that the kill crazy kooks will use whatever they can get their hands on for their fifteen minutes of "fame".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1