• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Import 3rd Persona 3 Film on Blu-ray Disc

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex and their overpriced products

$60 for a blu-ray movie..

and i thought $20-$25 for a new blu-ray movie was already pushing it.. given blu-ray had been around since 2006..
Jackanapes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Still think $5 for FES on PSN versus $60 for an import of just an okay trimmed down adaptation of a part of it is the way better deal. Looka like someone is still counting on people to not understand the concept of value and never changing their pricing for their "superior products".
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

and i thought $20-$25 for a new blu-ray movie was already pushing it.. given blu-ray had been around since 2006..

The same thing can be said about video games. I see that price being justified if all 3 movies were bundled together.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

The same thing can be said about video games. I see that price being justified if all 3 movies were bundled together.

I bought the Persona 3 video game near the end of its shelf life for about $20. And I enjoyed the game way more than I enjoyed the first movie (which is the only one I've seen so far).
Kurohei

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote
Also not to mention
Persona 3 the movie:90 minutes
Persona 3 the game: 90 hours.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:41 am Reply with quote
Remember folks, this is also the Japanese release. Did anybody expect the price to be any different from the first two movies, or are people just using the news to grouse about AoA's pricing yet again?
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:22 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
or are people just using the news to grouse about AoA's pricing yet again?

In every thread until they fix it.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:26 am Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
Also not to mention
Persona 3 the movie:90 minutes
Persona 3 the game: 90 hours.

that's one aspect of it.. but it can vary by the individual

what was that PS4 game? that quite a few complained about being short ?... ah! the Order 1886

it's about 6 hours? $60+ tax for a 5-6 hour game..

personally, i don't see any movie out there worth $60.. even if it's in 4K or 8k or whatever crap they are coming out next..

$50-60 for a game is the norm for a long time now.. so people accepted it

new blu-ray movie releases are around $25-$30 each and that's including dvd, blu-ray and digital!! while aniplex charged 2x as much..some with no english dub either.. :/

i'm trying to introduce Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill series to a friend.. but there's no way he is willing to pay Aniplex price for the whole series..

Kadmos1 wrote:

3? i think they are turning it into a 4 part movie series..

FES on the PSN for $5 is probably the best price (a steal!)

if anyone out there paying $60 a movie x4.. $240+ tax?

might as well buy some used psp and the game from psn and play it yourself.. and still have some money left over

Last edited by AnimeAddict2014 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:42 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
Remember folks, this is also the Japanese release. Did anybody expect the price to be any different from the first two movies, or are people just using the news to grouse about AoA's pricing yet again?

It's worse than that.
Quote:
The collector's edition retails for US$99.98, but Aniplex is selling it at a sales price of US$79.98. The standard edition retails for US$74.98, but Aniplex is selling it at a sales price of US$59.98.

That same disc can be procured from cdjapan and amiami for ~$67/$50 and ~$62/$46, respectively.

What's the point of getting it from Aniplex for that much more? As a single movie, shipping costs aren't exactly a deal breaker here either...
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:51 am Reply with quote
The Persona 3 movies cost that much or more in Japan... Without subs. That's Japanese pricing.

Also, if you were a big fan of Persona 3, you would enjoy the movies. They're a completely different experience from the games, and have different content from them. Especially the third movie... Which was not the best movie, absolutely not. But if you're a fan, you probably will enjoy these movies.

Saying to play the game instead is like saying "Gintama DVDs costing 40 bucks? Better to just read the manga." It's a completely different medium with its own merits.
curtisd88

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:04 am Reply with quote
Even though I hate Aniplex's pricing like everyone else I would buy these if they rerelease these with an English dub using the same cast from the game. Persona 3 is one of my favorite games of all time and I wanna watch it in anime form.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
While I don't follow the series, I see that pricing justified if it was dubbed and bundled with the other movies.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
The Persona 3 movies cost that much or more in Japan... Without subs. That's Japanese pricing. ...

Sorry, but that's a bit wrong.

If it's labeled import logic dictates the original discs will have subs already as it's the one Aniplex will be offering over here. If it was an original pressing for overseas edition, in order to include subs on the discs, it wouldn't be import anymore...

Also, wrong about the pricing as well. It's actually cheaper on the Japanese side, as you can see if you read my post before yours.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
I really hope we get a dub of these films once all four are out. I'm still pretty pissed off about Aniplex skipping out on a dub for Persona 4 Golden.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I shamefully would buy these movies at these prices if they included an English dubbed version. Persona 3 is one of my all time favorite games, and I adore the English dub cast (with the exception of Fuuka's first voice of course. Thank the heavens for Wendee Lee coming in to save the character.)

With that said- is there any certainty we're getting a dub at all?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2