• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Muv-Luv Visual Novel Localization Kickstarter Launches

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm amazed that they're already halfway to their goal, hours after opening.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
I'm amazed that they're already halfway to their goal, hours after opening.

As of this writing ($145K pledged by 700 people), it's averaging $200 per backer. Make of that what you will. My takeaway is that there's a small but insanely loyal fanbase that never thought this day would come. After all, there's a reason that Alternative has #1 user rating on vndb.org.

Disclosure: I'm in for $400. So far.

Shameless plug: I'm doing a history of Muv-Luv talk on Sunday at 11AM at Anime Weekend Atlanta (details)
Jakerams

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I really need to back this but I guess I'll wait until the last moment incase a Rewrite kickstarter gets announced. I'll make sure to have my money saved just incase before Nov 3rd.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

As of this writing ($145K pledged by 700 people), it's averaging $200 per backer. Make of that what you will. My takeaway is that there's a small but insanely loyal fanbase that never thought this day would come.

My takeaway is that lots of people want that plushie. Laughing

I'm not really interested in the extras much, so I'll only be throwing down $150 for the LE box set. Yes, only $150. Urgh. And I haven't even ever played Muv Luv. I'm really banking on the fact that it's so highly rated/spoken of. Hopefully I won't regret not getting more swag... but I can't bet too much more on this.

But holy bejeezus is this expensive. When I pledged for Clannad I felt like I was getting a lot more for my money. (Though this is technically for 2 games, I suppose)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gt123

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Jakerams wrote:
I really need to back this but I guess I'll wait until the last moment incase a Rewrite kickstarter gets announced. I'll make sure to have my money saved just incase before Nov 3rd.

Based on a magazine ad, Harmonia looks to be the next Key game to be released in the West (see https://instagram.com/p/7_U4nzLqL9/ ).
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I'll throw down more than $5 when it gets close to the Playstation Vita port stretch goal($500k).
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Been waiting for this. I'm also in for $200. A pillow might be nice, but I'm not sure I'm ready to cross that line yet Laughing
jirg1901

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
The plushie is about the only thing in there not going for well over value just because it doesn't have an established value. Most everything beyond the game only tiers could have been acquired years ago for less.

Dakis are somewhat defendable buys if you must have them but still going for absolutely crazy money considering the last Comiket exclusive one sold for what is currently only 90USD.

Even the immediate price of a non-scale Raptor on Kotobukiya USA's store is only $60 while it's a $100 tier just for signed box and having a decal sheet. Importing it from a Japanese store like AmiAmi could be done for around $50 after shipping.

The spending is all pretty absurd.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't know much about this franchise beyond the anime adaptations. I was going to say that I would chip in 20 bucks if the goal was having trouble being met, but it looks like things are going great.

Congrats to the fans of these light novels.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
jirg1901 wrote:
The plushie is about the only thing in there not going for well over value just because it doesn't have an established value. Most everything beyond the game only tiers could have been acquired years ago for less.

Well, yeah, this is Kickstarting, not shopping. The idea is for the majority of the money to go into the translation, software development, porting, etc., so that the VN actually comes out. Look at their breakdown of epenses: fulfillment is like 20%.

This isn't any different than any other kickstarter in that sense - I could've gotten a Clannad tshirt and soundtrack for a lot cheaper than supporting that kickstarter too.
jirg1901

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
That's "okay" when you're dealing with exclusive bonuses that couldn't have been obtained outside of a kickstarter, it's really quite stupid when they're just shipping unsold merchandise taking up space.
yanv

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm not climbing aboard for this ruse cruise every time they mention "Vita". Still waiting on Grisaia news.
Via_01

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Congrats to the fans of these light novels.

Visual Novel mate.

But anyhow, I'm one of those in the "never thought I'd see this day come" boat. Really happy for this. I'll have to consult with my wallet to see how much I can pitch in.
nhat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
It's a VN, its popular and it's rare. I backed $150 to it
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I backed into the kickstarter enough to get the digital versions of the trilogy (so a grand total $60) as I've played the fan translations the series to me was worth it to buy it legally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3