• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anohana, Madoka Magica Characters Rank in Most Tragic Heroine Poll

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
You could honestly put all the girls from the main Madoka series on this list, same with almost any random female character from the UC Gundam Series (Especially Zeta or V). Same can be said about Sakura Haruno spoiler[(If complete and utter character assassination counts as being a "tragic heroine", which I think it should)]
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
In a way I don't blame Katsura descending into full yandere status. Just...........................in a way. I've been in a similar situation. Except it didn't end with me going into yandere status since I'm scared of using anything with a sharp edge. But they died in a car crash.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I expected Homura to rank high on the list, but IMHO she is the most tragic character in modern fiction.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Menma. The scene where she gives letters to her friends, and Jinta reads his...that's the closest I've ever come to crying in watching an anime.

The only others I know are Sakura from Fate, which I do agree with...very tragic. And Index. Though, I don't feel like she's a tragic character. Yes, tragic backstory, but she comes off as a very comedic character to me, which is why I was a bit surprised to see her in the 10.

Well, I also know Kaori from Your Lie, but can't really comment on her. Only watched 5 episodes of that series, and I didn't like her at all. Illness and all, didn't like the character and don't feel like her illness doesn't even paper over those cracks.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Where are any of the female leads from a Mohiro Kitoh work? The girls from Akage gama kill? The MC from full moon wo Sagashite. I honestly wouldn't put half the characters on here on this list. Elfen Lied, darker than black, Gunslinger girls for God's. You know the work about the little girls that are sterilized and then forced to work as mindless assassin's. Even if we go recent, the girls from Grisa at least.

There are so many other options that I could think of that are actually tragic, and pick Index, the girl from school days, stella from gundam seed destiny.

This list a joke. Half the character on her a little moe blobs, that aren't even the most tragic in their own work. And the other half are from shows within the last few years.

Misaka and her clones, you know getting slaughtered by the hundreds are far more tragic than anything that happened to index. Or the little girl with red dreadlocks who worked under the Catholics.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Misuzu from AIR wins this by a landslide for me. Recent shows almost always win polls like these, though. People have short term memory. Misuzu suffered far more than any of these characters did. spoiler[She didn't even have a CHANCE at living, while Kaori at least did. She was fated to die without anyone showing her any love until the very last moments of her life]
WingKing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Gunslinger girls for God's. You know the work about the little girls that are sterilized and then forced to work as mindless assassin's.

Kougeru wrote:
Misuzu from AIR wins this by a landslide for me.

Misuzu and the kids from Gunslinger Girl were also among the very first characters I thought of - nice to see I'm not the only one. Kagero from Ninja Scroll is definitely another one who should be right up there, too. And if we're going to have a pseudo-nun on the list then I'd put Rosette from Chrono Crusade on it before I'd put Index.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm still trying to figure out how Ran made it. She's tragic because...her boyfriend got turned into a kid and she's probably learned about it half a dozen times yet doesn't remember it because plot device, Mr. Frodo?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
The deaths that I found to be the most tragic was Misuzu Kamio from Air and Miyu's three friends from Vampire Princess Miyu. Misuzu succumbed to her life-threatening illness after a long struggle but transformed into an angel afterwards. Chisato's death was from her cataclysmic fight against Miyu, while Yukari's, and later Hisae's, death was from spoiler[a sudden stab in the heart].
Otaku Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Stella hasn't been forgotten
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
..Gunslinger girls for God's. You know the work about the little girls that are sterilized and then forced to work as mindless assassin's.

Not only that most of them had tragic backgrounds before the Social Welfare Agency got a hold of them. What Henrietta went thru was horrifying and then what was done Triela oh god! Plus spoiler[their lifespans are shortened and you have a bunch of young girls who never got to be children and will never be able to grow up]. Their childhoods and lives got taken away from them! So, yea I think someone from GsG would normally be ranked.
Blue21

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
The title kinda tricked me into thinking the PMMM and anohana characters were at the top.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:37 am Reply with quote
I agree with Kotonoha, it was almost painful to watch. However, wouldn't one or two of the girls in "Higurashi" qualify too? Madoka Magica I think has entries mostly being relatively new and even Sayaka is only mildly tragic.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
Wow, School Days is still this relevant? I thought her descent in Yandere status was too over-the-top to be truly believable.

I'm amazed she was #2. Menma should have at least been #2. I can not watch the ending scene of that series without crying.

I haven't seen YLiA yet, but I already know what happens (freaking people not using spoiler tags). But the winner of the poll is obviously just based on recent popularity. That's why i'm confused as to way a character from School Days, being an older anime, is #2. Is that franchise still super relevant in Japan or something?

Also, no Key anime characters? That's a surprise.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:34 am Reply with quote
I think Kyoko is more tragic than Sayaka. Though honestly, Homura would have been my vote anyway.

It's nice to see Stellar on the list. Say what you will about Destiny, but her storyline was one of the best parts of the series, and her ending was gut-wrenching.

I don't understand why Ran Mouri is on here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2