• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Adventure tri. Anime Film Project Adds Hiroaki Hirata as Narrator

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DLH112

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:41 am Reply with quote
Amime?
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:07 am Reply with quote
Yes! Old narrator is back! Twisted Evil
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
Using real-life narrators and news castors/anchors (depends on one's local terminology) to perform as a fictional character in the same occupation seems quite logical; the same premise and mannerism are, usually, presented in a parallel way to those of real-life.

DLH112 wrote:
Amime?

Laughing During the whole movie, the characters won't speak at all, only heard when they internal-monologuing, and all character interactions are performed by doing mime moves.
"three words, first one is seven letters"
I would watch that.
wohdin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
HIROAKI HIRATAAAAAAAAAA

THIS IS THE BEST NEWS SINCE THIS PROJECT WAS ANNOUNCED
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Getting the band back together.
Aster Selene

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Using real-life narrators and news castors/anchors (depends on one's local terminology) to perform as a fictional character in the same occupation seems quite logical; the same premise and mannerism are, usually, presented in a parallel way to those of real-life.

Interesting history behind this specific announcer, as well - Matsuzawa hosted the event where Adventure tri. was announced last year, along with DigiFes back in August. She gained a bit of reputation among the fanbase for being such a die-hard Digimon fan that she emerged onstage at last year's event completely in tears and said that she owns all the drama CDs to date. According to her tweets after the public announcement, she's so happy to be in it she's broken down in tears.

Presumably, that's why they've made such a big announcement over this particular bit of casting.
0nsen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
They should have kept the original cast, like they did with the PSP game from,... was it 2013?
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
They should have kept the original cast, like they did with the PSP game from,... was it 2013?

Only human characters voice was changed, probably to imply those kids just hit puberty. Digimons still with original casts.
Aster Selene

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:

To make that game they had to yank voice actors out of retirement. To pull such a feat again isn't very easy, especially to record for an anime instead of a video game (where they have the luxury of recording lines individually).
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Aster Selene wrote:
0nsen wrote:

To make that game they had to yank voice actors out of retirement. To pull such a feat again isn't very easy, especially to record for an anime instead of a video game (where they have the luxury of recording lines individually).

I personally know one of the VAs from the original series. They (aka the VA) WANTED to do it. But Toei wanted a "new generation." (translation: we want who's popular right now) That's what I've heard, at least. The original VAs were not informed of the project at all.
Aster Selene

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:01 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Aster Selene wrote:
0nsen wrote:

I personally know one of the VAs from the original series. They (aka the VA) WANTED to do it. But Toei wanted a "new generation." (translation: we want who's popular right now) That's what I've heard, at least. The original VAs were not informed of the project at all.

If this is true, I doubt their popularity had anything to do with it - the lead three are certainly bigger names, but one of them's more known for his live-action roles than his anime voice acting and three have only been barely scratching the surface into major roles in anime.

What they do have in common is that they are indeed from a "younger" generation of voice actors, and most of them have attested to being Digimon fans as kids, so they would know the characters fairly well. (This was reportedly the basis for hiring Han Megumi for Adventure PSP, since she would be familiar with Takeru's character without it having to be explained to her.) It's probably easier for Toei to deal with currently active voice actors as well, regardless of willingness from the older cast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1