• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - One Good Turn

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This week's shows do some creative (or simply odd) things with their titles. One has an upside-down capital letter in its logo, while the other just looks like an e-mail address. I know several English teachers who would probably faint upon seeing these monstrosities, but at least they stand out.

Well, for the first one, perhaps you should just suggest they learn a bit more math (though I realize that was a joke).

Quote:
really ∀ Gundam, but not called “Upside-down A Gundam,” for some reason

I could never find anything other than this which read ∀ as Turn-A so I have to agree. Seems like poor english, and it should be upside-down A. It was a rather clever name for the series given what Tomino intended Turn-A to be though.
RHorsman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
It should actually be called a "Turned A" according to the Wikipedia page for the symbol, but hey let's not quibble:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turned_A
RHorsman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Also, I'm writing some slash fiction about Char and Harry Ord getting together when their timelines somehow intersect.

It's called "Char and Char-alike".
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
RHorsman wrote:
Also, I'm writing some slash fiction about Char and Harry Ord getting together when their timelines somehow intersect.

It's called "Char and Char-alike".

How about "Char and Char-cool" or "Char and Char-actor" Laughing

I'll walk myself out
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Could someone tell me if turn A is a one that I can start my gundam journey with?
I know that it is it's own self contained universe. I do not know though if it is a bad one to be your first gundam though because you should understand stuff before watching it,
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Could someone tell me if turn A is a one that I can start my gundam journey with?
I know that it is it's own self contained universe. I do not know though if it is a bad one to be your first gundam though because you should understand stuff before watching it,

Well it's really different from the typical gundam, so much so that you might as well consider it an entirely different franchise.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Well it's really different from the typical gundam, so much so that you might as well consider it an entirely different franchise.

Am I allowed to ask why?
lemurs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Am I allowed to ask why?

A typical Gundam show features conflict between factions with similar levels of technology, and fairly common mobile suit battles between trained pilots. In Turn A the two factions are wildly different in terms of technological development, most of the soldiers have little training or experience, and the show goes long stretches between mobile suit battles of any kind.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
The show is completely understandable even if you haven't seen any Gundam before at all, yes.

It does make references to the previous series, but they're so surface level that it doesn't really hurt to have not seen the previous series.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
lemurs wrote:
A typical Gundam show features conflict between factions with similar levels of technology, and fairly common mobile suit battles between trained pilots. In Turn A the two factions are wildly different in terms of technological development, most of the soldiers have little training or experience, and the show goes long stretches between mobile suit battles of any kind.

While Turn-A takes the difference in tech to an extreme, quite a few gundams do that. I mean Wing and 00 are also examples where one side (Gundam pilots / celestial being) have tech far exceeding what the other side(s) have.

I think Turn-A is ok to start off with, but it has a kinda slow start. Also less action than most.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
The show is completely understandable even if you haven't seen any Gundam before at all, yes.

It does make references to the previous series, but they're so surface level that it doesn't really hurt to have not seen the previous series.

Oh, nice. I might give Turn A a look, I've never watched a Gundam series. Well, I don't think I've ever watched any of the bigger mecha franchises...unless Transformers counts? Laughing
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I see Azumanga Daioh in those pics! Man, it really needs to be relicensed on BD.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:14 am Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:
I see Azumanga Daioh in those pics! Man, it really needs to be relicensed on BD.

Wasn't it digitally animated in standard definition?
amagee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I could never find anything other than this which read ∀ as Turn-A so I have to agree. Seems like poor english, and it should be upside-down A. It was a rather clever name for the series given what Tomino intended Turn-A to be though.

Watch the opening of the series. It says what it's supposed to be called.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:01 am Reply with quote
RHorsman wrote:
It should actually be called a "Turned A" according to the Wikipedia page for the symbol, but hey let's not quibble:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turned_A

British guy in the first 10 seconds of the OP theme agrees "TURN A GUNDAM!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2