• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Is This Bubble Different From The Last One?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Even with fewer shows being made each season, that's like going from 40 shows a season to 35. The concern cannot be that immense.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, Justin. I really appreciate it.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
In Japan, we will likely see fewer shows being made (and possibly a shift back to "safer", otaku-friendly genres)

But aren't there quite a few shows like that practically every Airing Season? So if the revenue methods will dry up, all that will survive the economic post-apocalypse would be the LN-adapted, harem-centric, high-school protagonist shows? Geez...
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
yeah, that's what he said, just check bd sales number, the kind of show that always sells over 4k would be the only one to survive+ the kiddie shows.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Still mourning the loss of Sam Goody and Suncoast. Though I did manage to get quite a few anime super cheap when they went down.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
yeah, that's what he said, just check bd sales number, the kind of show that always sells over 4k would be the only one to survive+ the kiddie shows.

I don't think a genre always selling over 4k exists.

Last edited by Rederoin on Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Today, there are only a handful of retailers that even stock anime DVDs, and in nowhere near the numbers they once did. This means that if those retailers stop paying their bills or return a bunch of product, it won't hurt the publishers too badly. Consumers have already transitioned to a "watch it online, collect it on discs" method of consumption, and the publishers are getting their revenue from a ton of different ways of distributing their shows.

That's the cigar-answer:
"Why isn't Now like Then?"--Because back Then, we HAD to buy them.
("Streaming" was called "Bootleg fansubs", it was illegal and underground--just like Crunchyroll--and good anime fans considered you a bad person for watching them.)
Which, as the article says, meant that a retailer had to sell them, as Suncoast and MediaPlay were folding, and Amazon was just starting to replace Target and Best Buy as the place to buy your DVD's.

The Bubble popped because:
A) In their rush to license any new shows they could grab, companies were outbidding to license, dub, and try to sell fresh new-season shows that would normally simulcast on CR for us to try out and weed out the chaff first. (Imagine if you were the US company that had to sell Monster Musume Girls just based on the current TV ratings and funny description, without getting a look at the darn thing or sampling Internet fan word of mouth on it first...That pretty much sums up Funi trying to sell Shuffle),
and
B) To pay for the dubs, companies were staggering them out in 3-4 episode singles at $29.95 each--and savvy ADV fans knew that the Complete boxset would double-dip anyway at the end if they waited--which prompted BB's historic snarky balk at having to sell unmovable overpriced singles of, quote, "Anime with 'Princess' in the title". (Referring to ADV's 3-ep. singles of Princess Nine, Princess Tutu, and Petite Princess Yucie, which looked hideously cutesy on the cover if you were a mainstream non-fan who didn't know what the heck the shows were about.)

It popped because anime companies thought they could talk us into buying unknown quantities; now that streaming is the official medium, there ARE no "Unknown" series for Funimation, Sentai or Media Blasters to sell.
They make their physical product for those who know what they're getting, and hope the word spreads.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I am glad to hear Justin sound this optimistic on what might happen when the current anime bubble bursts. On a recent column he gave a much grimmer opinion.

I think people who get to worried about the current bubble fail to notice that things are different now. And I want to believe that companies in both sides of the pacific have some sort contingency plans.
halo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
At least this time North American companies have more realistic numbers of viewers from streaming services rather than judging a shows marketability from the number of bittorrent peers.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
The industry might be fine however, the bulk of the good health of the industry at least in the late night sphere is on the idol/music genre, if bad idol anime like Venus Project Climax start to appear left and right, it's in trouble.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
The industry might be fine however, the bulk of the good health of the industry at least in the late night sphere is on the idol/music genre, if bad idol anime like Venus Project Climax start to appear left and right, it's in trouble.

Venus Project -Climax- is a bit of an oddball; the next, proper anime episode isn't due until August 16th (IIRC), with the rest of the air dates (August 2nd, 9th, for example) are variety shows with the seiyū from the anime and for the game forming teams and battling each other.

At the very least, it feels like the producers tried to experiment something new with the format.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I do not think we are in a bubble at all, nor do I see this as the third golden age of anime. The industry today feels a lot more like it did in 80's/90's. Fandom overall within North America is greatly down compared to ten years ago. But, I can see a market collapse for both North America and to a much lesser extant, Japan (Sorry, I wont speculate to the conditions of the UK, Oz or other markets).

While the content delivery methods have changed, the biggest difference now is hat the stream model is much more tangible of the demographic that it is aimed at. The burst we had a while back was squarely caused by a market over-saturation aimed at a target demographic with extremely limited spending power.

Those in the industry can scream bloody-murder and point the finger all they want at the fan-subbers, but the reality was there was too much stuff being pumped out way too fast and the majority of the fan base just couldn't keep up. I'm sure a lot of fans did jump over to fan-subs, but that was just the realities of market craze, fan burn out, and literally having too much new content thrown down one's own throat.

The biggest area of concern I can see in outside of the Japanese markets for anime will be too many different content delivery systems, all simulcasting different shows. While having a Crunchyroll account doesn't cost much, add in needing a Hulu, and a Netflix account to the fray, plus the Broadband access, the cost of streaming may come close to or exceed what one was spending on tangible products a decade ago.

I'm already find that series I watched on the stream five or six years ago on Hulu or Netflix for example are no longer available, and even the hosting sites of ones I want that are fan-subbed are gone. This brings value to buying DVD/BD, but how many people paying the costs of a stream provider AND a physical copy? Not many, expect for a handful of personally favorite series.

Again, I won't say we are in a bubble, but will stipulate that we could enter one again, but fandom needs a big up tick before that can happen.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Answerman wrote:
In Japan, we will likely see fewer shows being made (and possibly a shift back to "safer", otaku-friendly genres)

But aren't there quite a few shows like that practically every Airing Season? So if the revenue methods will dry up, all that will survive the economic post-apocalypse would be the LN-adapted, harem-centric, high-school protagonist shows? Geez...

I fount that strange too, the message that keeps getting thrown around, is that "apparently" most Anime is made for Otaku, now we are being told that we could go back to that, didn't something happen?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
To AJ's point about fansubbing, if the industry had another collapse, they wouldn't have a convenient scapegoat in fansubbing anymore. Maybe illegal stream sites?, but that's really pushing it when you have so many legal and free options. But you can't blame those users as causing a potential loss in physical sales, but more like the potential loss in infinitesimal ad revenue from CR.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I think the anime industry today is faring better than it did in the 1980's/1990's. With so many shows coming out every season, I don't think the customers will be affected much if the appearance rate of new shows suffers a slight drop every now and then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4