• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash (TV)

Genres: Adventure, Fantasy
Themes:

Plot Summary: When Haruhito awakens, he's in the dark. He doesn't know where he is, why is he here, and where he came from. Around him there are several men and women who have the same circumstances. Haruhito and his companions find themselves in a "game-like world" called Grimgar and must form a party, cooperate, and learn new skills to survive the harsh environment together.
----------------------------------

Been reading the LN for this and I knew someday that it was going to get an anime adaptation. The PV impresses me so far with its artwork and this is Ryousuke Nakamura’s return as the director. In other words, I think there’s a chance they will do justice with this adaptation. Very interested in this show!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

The artwork is very refreshing. Not sure why they played the OP song at the end but I think we'll get the ED theme next time. The action was nice. Yes there's some "fan service" but nowhere close to some other shows. I have to say the show has a slower pace than some fantasy series so have to be more patient to get to the more exciting stuff.

Good episode. There's potential world building all over the place in this series so far. There's also some fan service (Barbara...) but most of it is tolerable.

Definitely enjoyed it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
This episode started out quite well, with team Total Fail trying to defeat the lowest monsters available. That was quite funny. The show looks awesome too, really dreamlike (which I'm sure is intentional). Game? What do you mean? What is that word?

However... even though the makers of the show know the characters are in a game world, the characters themselves are still too disinterested in their wellbeing. They are far too relaxed for a bunch of uninformed people with no skills thrown in a dangerous world where they don't know anyone, don't know how anything works and they don't even know anything about themselves. Why doesn't it freak anyone out? Even when they utter they have a high chance of dying, it sure doesn't FEEL like they know it.
Furthermore, halfway through the first episode, it gets really boring. I'm sure it's supposed to be character building, but the boob discussion was stupid. It was neither cute, thought provoking, sad, funny or anything else. It was only boring. It told us something about most of the characters through their interactions (which is normally a good thing), but nothing was shown that made me like them. Why should I care about these kids?

Nah, I'm out.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Nice atmosphere, backgrounds and animation, especially in the first sequence, with the fight. After that, it goes into a more laid back exposition style that I'm not exactly a fan of but don't mind too much either. But damn was the humor (or at least I assume the angle was humor) awful. Yes, you're right, Dark Knight dude, you are easily hateable. Also, good old light novel breast size discussion humor.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Action right from the start.
Not bad at all!
spoiler[Involuntary adventurers with amnesia dumped in a fantasy..
Is it a game or is it real?]

Well, it's mysterious and it got me intrigued.
Will give it a few episodes before I decide.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Loved it!

The animation, background and colour palette was superb. The characters do seem quite fun and diverse at the moment. There's always one nob-head that you end up partying with during MMO's, so I can kinda live with Ranta's annoying personality. Yume and Shihoru are both uselessly cute, which helps also.

But I'm really enjoying it so far and the world seems interesting enough to keep me intrigued for the moment. It always helps get you into the MMORPG mood whenever a 'stuck in a game' show airs, which is great as Blade & Souls western release just happens to be next week.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:32 pm Reply with quote
episode one

My big curiosity at this point is to what extent their past lives, how they ended up in Grimgar, potential of returning to their normal lives, etc. will play in to the story. It seems odd to bring these elements into play if they're not going to be used but then Overlord sort of moved on and didn't make much of the fact it was an MMO setting (not that we know if Grimgar, specifically, is an MMO or not at this point).

I suspect that in not so long the other party will either become enemies or meet some nasty fate.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I don't know why, but I feel like I just started a new game. I am in a new world, I don't know my backstory, I am struggling to pick up the skills in the game, and I feel kind of down because others are clearly going much better than me. Granted that it is not many games that I am so overpowered that I struggle to beat anything, but I do feel like I can recall a similar level of just surviving. It is not just the plot of this episode that is giving this feeling, not much actually happened in it, I think it was helped a lot by the music and storybook like backgrounds.

As a gamer, I can recall being a skill-less scrub in the lands of Skyrim, a trainer with barely a Pokémon, and barely a youkai. Needed to learn to survive in a post fallout world, been an almost hopelessly weak creature on Mira, and tried my hand at a few other worlds filled with other players. Maybe I am saying sillily overdramatic, but I have experienced quite often being the lowest levels of progression in a game world, where any progression and survival is success, and it is actually one of my favourite feelings, and I feel it in this.

That feeling... took away my time in this episode, that I was kind of shocked that so much time had passed. Kind of like a game that I did not even realise it took me so long just to get so little distance. Kind of like a game I have been trying to play recently called Xenoblade Chronicles X, where I think I have put in over 35 hours, and still not been able to pilot a mecha which the game box promises, and I have to run away from most monsters I come across. Instant success has some level of happiness, but a low burn of finally having enough experience to use a new weapon or by an in game house, is something else.

Man, I have also been meaning to actually try and commit to an MMO, I almost always get stuck as pretty low, plus I am awful at social aspects of it, and I have been pretty busy. Oh, I was supposed to be talking about the first episode of this anime, I have just been rambling about games, but I think it expresses how this makes me feel about this pretty thing with a slow burn, I want to watch more.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Finally got around to watching this and I though it was really good! Not in a overtly good way, but just in a very relaxed fun way, the artwork really help with this.

Right now my biggest question is wether this is a 1 cour or 2 cour show. Because I enjoy the slow moment between character, but if it's 1 hour it mean that either nothing will happen or these slow moment will have to pretty much disappear for time reason.

Also, I really like the idea of following weak character, but usually the character very quickly become super powered because of some special ability they have (like that mech show a few year ago that was supposed to be about the worst pilot, but by the end of the first episode they had wiped out the entire enemy army). So if it's a 2 season show there might be hope that they'll just slowly, organically get stronger whereas if it's 1 season they'll probably just get some super power soon.

Anyway will keep watching for now.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Not sure what this says about me as a person, but my mind immediately went to trying to figure out what the romantic situation is going to be. Usually it's pretty obvious who the designated love interests are, but neither of the two girls in the party give off that vibe. It's got me curious, but there are no spoilers at the usual sources. If some one who's read the novel can tell me what's up, can you shoot me a PM?
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Not sure what this says about me as a person, but my mind immediately went to trying to figure out what the romantic situation is going to be. Usually it's pretty obvious who the designated love interests are, but neither of the two girls in the party give off that vibe. It's got me curious, but there are no spoilers at the usual sources. If some one who's read the novel can tell me what's up, can you shoot me a PM?

9/10 chance that it's mage with thief and archer with dark knight.

Although the whole "I'm just fat" did make me think that it was possible that the character weren't in there real body (so the girl with big boob is actually fat irl) and so some of the gender might be wrong. But that's a long shoot.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised that I didn't hate the boob scene as much as I thought I would from the descriptions. What turned it for me was that chatterbox boy seemed genuinely taken aback that someone took anything he said seriously enough to cry about it, plus the fact that she was crying about it. Those two elements opened up a lot of character possibilities which the series may or may not capitalize on, but for now, it made the scene go down easier.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:05 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Although the whole "I'm just fat" did make me think that it was possible that the character weren't in there real body (so the girl with big boob is actually fat irl) and so some of the gender might be wrong. But that's a long shoot.

Would be an interesting twist, but I think them appearing in modern street clothes suggest the bodies we see are their real ones.

The much more standard explanation would be she was bullied by girls who were jealous of her proportions so now she has a negative body image.

Well, she certainly is my type, though Yume is good too. I actually really like the costume designs as well.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I had the same thought as Gina: The fact that they're wearing their street clothes when they show up strongly implies that they are in their original bodies. Also, their coordination would be all messed up if they'd suddenly had a body-switch pulled on them.

I think Talking Boy was just blowing off steam because he's stressed out. He deals with his stress by yammering on about whatever enters his head, without stopping to think about how it might affect others. I can get like that sometimes, but not to the level of density that he showed. I don't think he was intending to be malicious, just clueless.

At any rate, at this point there are far too many unknowns for us to say much with any certainty. I'm hopeful that they'll show some care in how they develop various things, because this show has potential, but could easily blow it.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
If anything, I think the fact that they suck so much is and indication that these are their real bodies. If they had assumed their game personas, then they all would have had to been absorbed immediately upon starting the game or they'd be coming into the world as experienced adventurers. Plus, if we talk about this game-like world in game terms, it would seem the characters don't even rise up to Level 1. Most games have at least a few enemies that are trivial, even when solo, but our main crew has yet to take out even the weakest of monsters. Sure, we could imagine Grimgar is taking from the harder set, but nothing about the setting reminds me of that vein.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8