• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Quick FMA OVA question . . . (Spoilers)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musashi1600

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Is it true there's a scene showing newspaper clippings of the Challenger disaster and 9/11? If it is, can anyone post screencaps?
God Gundam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:51 am Reply with quote
Um, what?

FMA takes place in the 1910s, dude. The challenger blew up in 1986 and 9/11 happened in 2001. And FMA doesn't even follow real-world events. So no, there are no scenes showing the Challenger or hijacked airplanes hitting the Twin Towers.
undeadben

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:15 am Reply with quote
Had to re-watch it to make sure but in the Hagaren Kids OAV, about 3/4 of the way in, when the kids get to the apartment you get a view of a wall with those newspaper clippings and a couple of them are pretty familiar. Actually, here is a screenshot, since a picture is always better.

Hagaren

Sorry it is not too clear, I am really bad at screenshots. It's hard to make out from my crappy image, but if you look close to the center you can see the image of the twin towers with one teetering; it's much clearer in the actual OAV. And the shuttle disaster is just to the left of the Terrorists Attack headline.

ETA: If not for my bad pic, some may recognize a lot more of the pics on there. I hadn't even paid close attention to it until this thread brought it up.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:56 pm Reply with quote
God Gundam wrote:
FMA takes place in the 1910s, dude.

And one of the OVA shorts takes place in 2005.

Anyway, looking at that screencap, the clipping next to the "Terrorists Attack United States" headline is definitely Challenger. The actual photo in said terrorist clipping, though, is a bit hard to make out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
undeadben

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Shows how bad my pic is. The image of the trade center is actually to the lower right of the "Terrorists attack" clipping. I haven't been able to really make out what the pic in that clipping is either, although it looks like an explosion of some sorts, maybe another shot of one of the trade center towers as it was collapsing or one of the bombings in the last decade?

Let's see if this one is any better. I circled the twin towers pic.

Hagaren screenshot
musashi1600

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I'd say the circled picture is one of the WTC site after both towers collapsed.

Thanks for the screencaps. Mr. Green
Seif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:54 am Reply with quote
Eariler in the OVA it pans over a picture with him shaking h ands with a black guy in a suit. Does anyone know who it was?

So what is this implying? Is Ed a journalist? Or a conspiracy nut? Maybe he worked for intelligence?
undeadben

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
Eariler in the OVA it pans over a picture with him shaking h ands with a black guy in a suit. Does anyone know who it was?

It wasn't earlier, it was in the same shot, I know because I took captures from every possible angle to get one that worked yesterday. You're talking about this, right? I couldn't tell you who that is supposed to be; it is a little too blurry even in the episode. More importantly to me is, what is the thing I circled? I know I should know this but it slips my mind. Anyone?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1